Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
JWL
Member Emeritus

Default Merc Steel Crankshaft

Some discussion was recently held here on this subject. Since I have never seen one, nor do I believe they exist, I expressed a desire to examine one of them and offered to pay shipping, both ways, for that opportunity. A Fordbarn friend (RandyZ) did much better than that when he took the time and expense upon himself to send me a sample of a crankshaft he was convinced was steel. This is how we learn things!! By taking the time and having enough interest to go the extra mile.

Not content to use my own analysis skills on the sample I contacted some materials testing laboratories asking the size sample they would need and the price to do the work. The nearest local lab, about 4 hours north, here in Georgia, estimated $350. I found a lab in Pennsylvania who did the work for much less than my Georgia friends.

While machining the sample piece, for the lab, I found the crank to be very well heat treated and tough to machine.

Anyway, the bottom line---- The crank was NOT steel as reported by the materials testing laboratory.

My thanks to RandyZ for his efforts and contribution.
JWL
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote