Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2024, 03:56 PM   #1
Blindhuckster

Default Is this a normal wear pattern on oil pump idler cover plate and block mating surface?

A little back story on the car. 37 Deluxe Coupe was on display for 40 years at the Flathead Ford Museum in Big Fork Montana. All cars were licensed and insured and driven regularly. Museum closed in 2018. I bought the car in 2019. Did the normal service items, brakes, tires, etc, but decided to pull motor and transmission to reseal engine, and transmission to take care of some leaks and replace the worn-out clutch and pressure plate and surface the flywheel. No need to go deep into the engine as it had been rebuilt years ago. .020 stamp on crankshaft counterweight and the inside of engine was surprisingly clean. Has a couple slightly low compression cylinders but no blue smoke and with a rebuilt distributor from Micheal at third gen and a rebuilt coil from Ship Haney it runs great. My question is on the oil pump cover and block mating surfaces, the wear is just on one side of each and opposite each other. Is this normal? Or should I replace the cover and idler gear?
Engine has great oil pressure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9027.jpg (56.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9062.jpg (44.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9042.jpg (47.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0929.jpg (109.2 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0932.jpg (76.3 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0933.jpg (74.0 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg FCRB2744.jpg (71.4 KB, 420 views)
Blindhuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 04:02 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Is this a normal wear pattern on oil pump idler cover plate and block mating surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindhuckster View Post
A little back story on the car. 37 Deluxe Coupe was on display for 40 years at the Flathead Ford Museum in Big Fork Montana. All cars were licensed and insured and driven regularly. Museum closed in 2018. I bought the car in 2019. Did the normal service items, brakes, tires, etc, but decided to pull motor and transmission to reseal engine, and transmission to take care of some leaks and replace the worn-out clutch and pressure plate and surface the flywheel. No need to go deep into the engine as it had been rebuilt years ago. .020 stamp on crankshaft counterweight and the inside of engine was surprisingly clean. Has a couple slightly low compression cylinders but no blue smoke and with a rebuilt distributor from Micheal at third gen and a rebuilt coil from Ship Haney it runs great. My question is on the oil pump cover and block mating surfaces, the wear is just on one side of each and opposite each other. Is this normal? Or should I replace the cover and idler gear?
Engine has great oil pressure.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 04:04 PM   #3
petehoovie

Default Re: Is this a normal wear pattern on oil pump idler cover plate and block mating surf

Quote:
A little back story on the car. 37 Deluxe Coupe was on display for 40 years at the Flathead Ford Museum in Big Fork Montana.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 02-26-2024, 04:35 PM   #4
cadillac512

Normal, and looks fine. I'd reassemble with assembly lube or vaseline to help it prime and run it.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 06:57 PM   #5
Blindhuckster

I appreciate the help and advice. Thanks Nate
Old 02-26-2024, 07:45 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Looks normal to me. Just make sure the bushing is not too loose, otherwise replace and hone it to fit.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 02:13 AM   #7
Kurt in NJ

the pin is at a angle, or the bushing is worn allowing the gear to run crooked previous wear is showing in the shadows that the gear was making full contact in the thrust area
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 01:55 PM   #8
mcgarrett

While you have it apart, replace the idler gear bushing and hone it to fit. Looks like it may be suffering from a sloppy idler bushing. When the idler bushing becomes worn, the engine will sound like it has a rod knock. Ask me how I know.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:01 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

The wear looks typical. But since you have it apart I would replace the idler gear bushing with a NOS bushing not any reproduction stuff. And replace the idler pin in the cover as well with a NOS part. Then everything will be fine for a very long time.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:17 PM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
The wear looks typical. But since you have it apart I would replace the idler gear bushing with a NOS bushing not any reproduction stuff. And replace the idler pin in the cover as well with a NOS part. Then everything will be fine for a very long time.
Ronnieroadster
Interesting. I didn't realize that pin was replaceable.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:11 PM   #11
Blindhuckster

I appreciate the advice. When I check the bushing on the shaft, there is some excess clearance present. Van Pelt list these parts

18-6655 Oil Pump Idler Gear with new bushing PIC 1932-53 V8 39.00
18-6656/64 Idler Cover Plate & Shaft assy PIC 1932-48 V8 30.00

Not sure these are NOS or reproduction. I'll call him in the morning to confirm. Any other leads on suppliers that you think may have NOS parts available would be appreciated. Thanks Nate
Old 02-27-2024, 08:12 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
I appreciate the advice. When I check the bushing on the shaft, there is some excess clearance present. Van Pelt list these parts

18-6655 Oil Pump Idler Gear with new bushing PIC 1932-53 V8 39.00
18-6656/64 Idler Cover Plate & Shaft assy PIC 1932-48 V8 30.00

Not sure these are NOS or reproduction. I'll call him in the morning to confirm. Any other leads on suppliers that you think may have NOS parts available would be appreciated. Thanks Nate

Fred @ Southside Obsolete, who is Barnfind08 here, will most definitely have these parts NOS
Old 02-28-2024, 08:24 AM   #13
Blindhuckster

Thanks Tim, I emailed Fred this morning. Nate
Old 02-28-2024, 10:02 AM   #14
Blindhuckster

Fred was quick to respond, and I have the required NOS parts coming my way. I'll keep him in my phone for future parts needs. I so much appreciate the help I receive here.
Nate Anello
Old 02-28-2024, 10:04 AM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Fred was quick to respond, and I have the required NOS parts coming my way. I'll keep him in my phone for future parts needs. I so much appreciate the help I receive here.
Nate Anello
Excellent. Glad Fred was able to help you out. He's one of the good ones for sure. Can't beat NOS
Old 02-28-2024, 10:51 AM   #16
rockfla

Amazing, I was just fixing to clean and install one of these this weekend....NOW I am in touch with Fred ordering me one too!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 08:02 PM   #17
Blindhuckster

I received my NOS parts from Fred today. Shaft was pressed into the oil pump idler cover and the idler gear fits perfectly on the shaft without issue. Thanks for the lead on the parts source. Easy to deal with and parts arrived promptly. Thanks again Nate Anello
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0976.jpg (81.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0975(1).jpg (83.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0974.jpg (82.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 03-04-2024, 10:38 PM   #18
petehoovie

Quote:
I received my NOS parts from Fred today. Shaft was pressed into the oil pump idler cover and the idler gear fits perfectly on the shaft without issue. Thanks for the lead on the parts source. Easy to deal with and parts arrived promptly. Thanks again Nate Anello

Old 03-05-2024, 07:34 AM   #19
Mart

I was thinking about the original pattern and it became obvious. If you look at the gear on the cam. It turns clockwise in this view and the helix would tend to push this side away from the block. The oil pump would tend to pull the other side of the idler towards the block. So any wear in the bush would allow the idler to tip slightly and generate the witness marks shown. So it stands to reason that wear as shown does indeed indicate a worn idler. It would probably continue to work for many miles like that but as nos parts are available, why not use them?

Mart is offline   Reply With Quote