Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
36coupe

Default 38 transmission build

I have a 38 deluxe and I have a chance to build a spare transmission for my car.
I was trying to find a thread that I saw on here before but no luck.
I'm not sure if I have my facts right but here it goes.
I have a chance to buy a 46 truck 3 speed which will give me the a good case. I was going to look for a 46-48 car 3 speed for the internals and torque tube.
I can combine the 2 and have a better shifting transmission that the original 38 transmission.
Is that correct?
Will any parts from a 53 ford car transmission work?
Does anybody have links or more info that I will need?
Thanks
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
Juergen

Default Re: 38 transmission build

If you buy the truck 3 speed make sure you get the tower which has the wide fork needed for the 39 up gear sets. A stock 38 would have the older gear set and the output shaft from it is not compatible with the newer gear set (nor is the 2nd/3rd fork) so it can't be used to replace the open drive output shaft in the truck trans (in case the set is good). The 46-48 car internals would be a complete set to fit into the 3 speed truck case and work with the 3 speed truck shift tower. Yes the later synchros would allow easier shifting and no nothing from the 53 Ford trans is compatible with the 46-48 trans (except maybe the synchro rings). Get Van Pelts book to set clearances.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I second the suggestion to get the VanPelt book.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Hoop

Key words: NOVA SCOTIA, SPARE

Some things you should be aware of before you start.

What do you have now ... what gears are in your '38? Could later gears have been installed? Does the s/n on your current case match the chassis s/n?

What are you buying? What MDG is installed ... 15, 16 ... 14? Is it complete with top and stick? What is the condition and price?

It could turn out that your best choice would be to rebuild your current transmission ... or refit it with later gears ... OR build that spare ... OR collect all the right parts and assemble a "spare" for practice then transplant those gears into your original case.

Unless the price is really high, I'd be a buyer for the truck open drive ... I'm a hoarder.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I second the suggestion to get the VanPelt book.
Times three ...
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Key words: NOVA SCOTIA, SPARE

Some things you should be aware of before you start.

What do you have now ... what gears are in your '38? Could later gears have been installed? Does the s/n on your current case match the chassis s/n?

What are you buying? What MDG is installed ... 15, 16 ... 14? Is it complete with top and stick? What is the condition and price?

It could turn out that your best choice would be to rebuild your current transmission ... or refit it with later gears ... OR build that spare ... OR collect all the right parts and assemble a "spare" for practice then transplant those gears into your original case.

Unless the price is really high, I'd be a buyer for the truck open drive ... I'm a hoarder.
I'm assuming my Transmission is original to the car. It has 67k and everything else is original
I have a chance to pick up a 46 truck motor and transmission. The price is too high at the moment. It wasn't seized but had some water in. I haven't looked at it yet.
I guess I should look inside the transmission before committing.
I'm a hoarder and I like to have spares for everything I own.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote