Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
Vic in E-TN

Question Mitchell Overdrive - Shifter Modification

I recall reading on FB some time ago that Mitchell was offering a modification where they replace the second shifter with something else to remove the lever. I cannot find the post. Does anyone have any information and experience with the modification? I expect to get one shipped from Mitchell in the near future. Thanks.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Mitchell Overdrive - Shifter Modification

I think you are referring to a cable shift. They mount on the usual gear stick and ther eis no extra lever on the floor. Contact Mitchells about them. Have some $ ready!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
duke36

Yes, I have a mid 30's with Mitchell OD and the cable shifter. The T handle is mounted under the dash with home made L bracket which allows more for more leg room . The provided cable is sheathed and routed thru the firewall steering column hole and back to the OD and adjusted there with brackets provided. The shifting is a little less direct than a rod but gets the job done. There was no extra cost about 10 years ago but not sure now.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:36 PM   #4
daveymc29

Steve Mitchell sold me a very nice cable with T-handle and clamps to mount it onto the Model A shift lever. Maybe $150.00? Works very well and eliminated the extra shift lever on the floor. I used to drive some large trucks with similar shifters so to me it is a natural part of shifting and can split the gears with just the right hand and the clutch. Very smooth operating. That is on the roadster with a Mitchell. I made my own shift cable and brackets for the Borg Warner in my coupe, also on the shift lever and with the kick-down switch on a bracket left of the steering column, this one is a bit of a two handed shift. One could probably do it with a speed shift, if the ears were as good as 60+ years ago, but I'm not willing to try it now.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
brjnelson

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I also have the cable t-handle by the shifter knob, I hooked it up so the Mitch is in OD when the handle is pulled up, when I grab the next gear, I come down with my palm pushing the T Handle down at the same time I am pulling the shifter into gear.
I hillclimb with this setup.

I allways know I am in OD because the T is "in the way" when I reach for the shift knob.

my mitchell has holes tapped in many spots for all the lever and cable bracket options, I am sure yours is too.

Last edited by brjnelson; 01-22-2019 at 01:15 PM. Reason: forgetful
brjnelson is offline   Reply With Quote