Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2022, 12:32 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default Press & ream Kingpin bushings.

I’ve started the pressing & reaming process on new spindles pre kingpin install. In preparing to press bushings & align the grease hole in the bushings with the grease fittings on the spindle forging it appears the grease fittings are +or- .010” centered on the outsides of forgings where the bushing get pressed in. But the bushing grease holes on two of the bushings are significantly off center by .06” to .08”.
Should I drill out the grease holes on those 2 to get more overlap on the grease fitting location? If not & I line up the edges of the bushings with the edges of the forging then 1/3 to 1/2 the grease holes will be off the centerline of the grease fittings not allowing as much grease flow.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:43 PM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: Press & ream Kingpin bushings.

The set I installed two weeks ago also had 2 that were off by a bit. Like about 1/2 covered. I decided not to redrill and mess uo the pipe thread. I considered the size of the hole in the grease fitting and with the ball in the way as well. I left them as is. I found no difference whatsoever in pumping them full of grease. If I had noticed before pressing them in I might have gone after the bushing with a small chainsaw file.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:03 PM   #3
AnthonyG

Thx GB, I thought it might be over thinking it!
Old 01-23-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Thx GB, I thought it might be over thinking it!

MUCH-MORE importantly, you need to note GB's "Wooden Mixin'-Spoon" method of reaming those new bushings in perfect alignment with each other, simultaneously! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:57 PM   #5
AnthonyG

DD, I saw that in my previous thread on getting a bit more familiar with the whole process. One of the FB guys was nice enough to loan me an .814 line reamer I plan to use.
Just discovered another issue, in that last thread it was suggested the press fits on bushings to forged spindle assy was a fairly easy press fit. Just mic’d it & it’s what I’d consider a very tight press fit. Almost .002 interference. If consensus was it’s an easy press these aren’t?
Suggestions? I’m thinking maybe I need GB’s wooden spoon handle for the holes before trying to press the bushings in. .002” press is what we used to call a “maniac fit”
Old 01-23-2022, 02:52 PM   #6
GB SISSON

Mine never press in (or out) easily. I have a large wilton bench vise and I always need a cheater pipe on the handle to press them in. I sometimes think they are going to get stuck half way in, but never yet.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-23-2022, 04:29 PM   #7
AnthonyG

GB, do you grease the bushings before you press them?

Last edited by AnthonyG; 01-23-2022 at 05:26 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:43 PM   #8
aussie merc

word of warning when pressing bushes in press down from the centre ie use a suitable bush dolly and drift thru the other end this will stop the stop the stub collapsing if the bush goes tight other wise cut a hardwood block and fit between the eyes to support the eyes
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:37 PM   #9
AnthonyG

So consensus is, go with the .002 interference press fit?
Old 01-23-2022, 08:49 PM   #10
GB SISSON

I'm a cabinetmaker. We don't work with those numbers, but mine have always gone in, and I have been using some grease in the installation. Main thing is you start off square. I have always clamped and unclamped numerous times and will not put the 'full press' of the wilton vise until I am sure I'm not going in at some kind of angle.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:03 PM   #11
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I'm a cabinetmaker. We don't work with those numbers, but mine have always gone in, and I have been using some grease in the installation. Main thing is you start off square. I have always clamped and unclamped numerous times and will not put the 'full press' of the wilton vise until I am sure I'm not going in at some kind of angle.
Yes. oops wrong post
Bill

Last edited by bbrocksr; 01-23-2022 at 09:09 PM.
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:05 PM   #12
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
So consensus is, go with the .002 interference press fit?
Yes and no grease.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:19 AM   #13
AnthonyG

Has anyone tried to chill the KP bushings in the freezer & leaving the spindle forging at room temp or a bit warmer just before pressing as they seem such a tight fit? Should make them press a bit easier?
Old 01-24-2022, 09:25 AM   #14
alanwoodieman

I always polish the king pin bushing holes and then oil the bushings in with my vice, occasionally with an arbor press and I will admit to messing up a few. I also have a set of adjustable reamers that work really good and do have a "wooden spoon" sort of reamer to make them perfect for a push fit for the pin
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:39 AM   #15
AnthonyG

I have the forging in the oven @ 150 & bushings in freezer & will report how it goes.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #16
rich b

Sounds like you are falling into the internet forum trap of overthinking stuff.

Been knocking out old bushings and driving in new ones for too many years now and never have given it a second thought.

I have always used the driver that goes on the end of the reamer along with a decent sized hammer.

No reason you can't press them in with a vice if you are careful to start square and I believe you will find it takes more force on the handle than you may expect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kingpin bushing driver.jpg (40.3 KB, 36 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:25 PM   #17
AnthonyG

I probably did overthink it but it’s what me & all my old Tool & Die Maker Machinist pals do,! That & this is the first Kingpin spindle exercise! ( Forged Spindles @ $150, kingpin set @ $50) didn’t wanna try & fail & turn it to junk!
Long story short in my mind @ least it worked.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 01-24-2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #18
AnthonyG

Went forward & reamed to .814 with line reamer a local Ford Barner nice enough to loan me & it came out perfect! Checked KP’s from kit @ .812” high side & holes came out @ .814” high side. Nice snug but hand slip fit in spindles. If I have to do again & probably will on my ‘40 pickup I will feel confident doing!
Thx all for the advice, definitely helped!
Old 01-24-2022, 03:12 PM   #19
AnthonyG

All worked well, I believe heating the spindle, putting a small lead on bushing & oil definitely made it much easier than described. @ .002” interference fit I’m sure without the three things mentioned would’ve been a lot harder & more potential for not fun issues !
Steps taken;
-Broke edges & polished about a 1/16” of the end of bushing I pushed in to give a lead to insure perpendicular & not cocked entrance.
-put spindle forging in oven & 170 ( as low as Mom’s stove went ) & let heat 2 hr.
-Put bushings outside @ 15 degrees weather.
-1 hr. later took one spindle out with gloves, put copper on vice jaws, put one bushing @ a time in & seated with the vise, probably 50lbs+ of force on vise handle ( used machine oil on bushings ). 1/16” polished lead definitely kept it straight & square to c/l of hole.
-Took other spindle out of Mom’s oven & did all again.
-Reamed with line reamer via adjustable wrench.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:34 PM   #20
Tim Ayers

Glad it all worked out for you!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote