Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2022, 08:03 PM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default 59 “Y” block

Picked up this 59 block and it has an upside down “Y” Also got a nice C69 block that’s the Canadian version of the 59 block. Are the Canadian blocks supposed to be superior to the American version? And what’s up with the 59 “Y”. ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2F99049E-0BEF-4C4E-ABDB-D7DB4645FE2F.jpg (42.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg E5161121-3007-4FF3-BE37-D9341486A240.jpg (85.6 KB, 15 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: 59 “Y” block

If I recall correctly from Bruce Lancaster's extensive research, the end of the alphabet blocks "Y, Z" are military and supposedly cast with a higher nickel content and very good blocks to use.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:25 PM   #3
Brian

And the C69A block has really thick cylinder walls, is the block to use for big bores.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:31 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

I've heard of and had 59 L, Z and other blocks . . . and have heard all the flathead rumors related to them over the years. In the sonic testing that I've done (have my own sonic tester and it is very accurate), I've not seen any real evidence that any particular 59x block is thicker or better than another (as far as block identifiers go). I'm sure a lot of it depends on the foundry - as well as how long was the block used and how much corrosion played a role in reducing the wall thickness. I've never been able to substantiate any of the rumors - so I consider them 'flathead urban myths".

The same is true of the good ole 239 'Keystone' Merc/Truck/military blocks from 1939 to 1942 . . . can't tell you how many times folks have said this is the ultimate flathead block (everybody repeats the stories it seems).

I have a NOS 42 Merc/Military keystone block in my 32 Cabriolet - it was STD bore when I got it (obviously) - I didn't find it to be noticeably thicker in any of my sonic tests (I do 12 readings per cylinder).

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 01-12-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:34 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

FYI: I've never sonic tested a Canadian block . . . anybody have a good 'spare' around that they'd like to get rid of? I'd like to just go through one and check it out . . .
Old 01-12-2022, 09:43 AM   #6
rotorwrench

The blocks went through a subtle change for 1941. I would be more interested in results of thickness checks on 239 blocks produced between 1939 and just prior to the 1941 changes. Ford was conserving iron by those changes that eliminated the sand removal bores and the change to the manifold deck portion of the castings.

The C69 engine had some weird bearings due to the change over to individual replaceable con rod bearing shells. The bearings are hard to source for those crankshafts.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #7
blucar

As I recall the 59 Y blocks were generally referred to as being "Turkey Tracks". When I was a kid living in Idaho during the '40's/50's, Y blocks would appear on a regular basis, usually in a '30 model vehicle that had been re-powered with a 59 AB style of engine.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:49 PM   #8
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The blocks went through a subtle change for 1941. I would be more interested in results of thickness checks on 239 blocks produced between 1939 and just prior to the 1941 changes. Ford was conserving iron by those changes that eliminated the sand removal bores and the change to the manifold deck portion of the castings.
My 42 block is a 239 military keystone block (round center water hole), has the raised intake surface and no sand removal plugs on the pan rails. It also passes the "pencil test" above the timing cover. As with most WWII military blocks, it is also factory relieved. I believe it to be the last iteration of the 239 block - before the war stopped production . . . followed by the 59x series.

BlockPrep4 copy.jpg

BrockPrep3 copy.jpg

PanRail copy.jpg

DeckComplete copy.jpg
Old 01-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #9
38 coupe

And the rest of us now have NOS block envy.

Bored&Stroked, my memory is you have tested the thickness of pretty much all varieties of 3 3/16 bore USA flathead blocks (prewar, 59, 8BA) and none are special in the wall thickness category. Am I remembering correctly?

I too like the 39-40 Mercury blocks, but only because I want to sneak a 255+ inch motor into my 38 coupe and have it look 100% factory. I finally have the parts to do it, now I need the time and money to make it happen!
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:21 PM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
Bored&Stroked, my memory is you have tested the thickness of pretty much all varieties of 3 3/16 bore USA flathead blocks (prewar, 59, 8BA) and none are special in the wall thickness category. Am I remembering correctly?
Yes - have owned, tested and stashed a bunch of them. Were there differences between any two blocks? Sure - but nothing that showed a consistent difference between any "version" of them versus another.

Now, if I had a dozed of each in NOS condition, then maybe I'd be able to extrapolate something . . . but the chances of that happening ended about 60+ years ago.

As I get them and they are cleaned, then I test them . . . is about all we can do these days.