Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #41
uncle buck

Default Re: Be very careful buying parts on E-Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederic View Post
I agree with most above but one thing i do not like is to pay the asking price for shipping and get a package that shows 1/3 or 1/2 of that which they charge. If it does not say "shipping and handling" in the auction and i receive a package as described above, negative feed back is left for shipping ripoffs. Best way to sell and get around the shipping situation is to offer Free shipping and either realize the starting bid and end price will include the shipping, or state in the ad that BECAUSE OF EBAY'S SHIPPING PROBLEMS ONLY ACTUAL SHIPPING FEES WILL BE CHARGED, and add that to the paypal invoice.

anyway my two cents.
I usually list items with a flat rate for shipping so everybody pays the same cost. If I list shipping at $12.00 , it may cost me $8.00 or it may cost me $20.00 depending on buyer location. I find it usually averages out in the end. As long as you go in knowing what the shipping cost is before you bid and it doesn't exceed that, it shouldn't matter. A smart buyer knows what they want to pay and that amount should be the total of item and shipping combined. I will only discount on multiple items and if that is not satisfactory come pick it up.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #42
poweredbylincoln

Does anyone know how much paypal takes as far as transactions go.As in a percentage or?

thanks
poweredbylincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #43
tiquer

The swap meets are not about just the parts and cars , but BSing with your buddies and meeting new ones. If you go home a little richer and a little lighter bonus Or finding that elusive part and actually being able to put your hands on it to look at it. That is always a great day.
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #44
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbylincoln View Post
Does anyone know how much paypal takes as far as transactions go.As in a percentage or?

thanks
3%, the same as a credit card payment. This I see as a big positive. Most people want to pay with a credit card and I don't have a credit card accepting account. Paypal allows the casual seller to accept credit cards thru them.

Last edited by mrtexas; 02-12-2012 at 10:24 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #45
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry-ct View Post
I used to buy and sell a bit on Ebay, not anymore.... Ebay is just another greedy corporation out to make a huge profit for the stockholders. THat's what's hurting the USA, GREEDY big business! Another good thing gone bad...............
Not to be argumentative but businesses must make a profit or go out of business. Our capitalist system is based on self interest, call it greed if you want, however, no other better system exists. The alternative to our system, communism, the interest of the state being supreme, disintegrated in 1989, a failed bad experiment and ended up on the ashheap of history. People apparently didn't like working out of a sense of patriotism instead of self interest. I hope the business you work for makes a profit to keep you in a job.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #46
Jim NC

I haven't used eBay in a couple of years but may try again soon to empty the barn. I recently shipped a 125 LB back seat in 3 pieces by Greyhound. The clerk saw my Disabled Vet tag and asked if I was retired military - since I was, the price went from about $164.00 to $129.00 - UPS was right up there at $156.00. I always ask if discounts are given for seniors, military, (never considered asking shippers before) etc, etc, there are a lot of them but you have to ask. When I ask the vendors at swap meets, car shows, I'm batting about 75% so far. I only take U.S. Postal Service Money Orders - they are the only fool proof way I know of - can't counterfit, stop payment, etc. Every now and then I get a check or other MO and I just hold the item until I'm sure the check/MO clears. Some times buyer gets pissed off but that's there problem for not reading and heeding. Hope yopu all sell out for what you want and buy cheap with a good discount!! Happy "flat" motoring!!
Jim NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #47
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim NC View Post
I haven't used eBay in a couple of years but may try again soon to empty the barn. I recently shipped a 125 LB back seat in 3 pieces by Greyhound. The clerk saw my Disabled Vet tag and asked if I was retired military - since I was, the price went from about $164.00 to $129.00 - UPS was right up there at $156.00. I always ask if discounts are given for seniors, military, (never considered asking shippers before) etc, etc, there are a lot of them but you have to ask. When I ask the vendors at swap meets, car shows, I'm batting about 75% so far. I only take U.S. Postal Service Money Orders - they are the only fool proof way I know of - can't counterfit, stop payment, etc. Every now and then I get a check or other MO and I just hold the item until I'm sure the check/MO clears. Some times buyer gets pissed off but that's there problem for not reading and heeding. Hope yopu all sell out for what you want and buy cheap with a good discount!! Happy "flat" motoring!!
================================================== ======

Do a Google search on Counterfit Postal M/O, and you will find that they are indeed being counterfitted.

I asked my Post Master here in my "little town of 5,ooo" and he said they see some fake Postal M/O's every year, that people here are sent, and want to cash, only to find out they've been scammed, so Postal M/O's are Not totally safe.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #48
mrtexas

Postal MO are also a pain if the PO loses one for you. Costs $5 for a search and you wait 6 months for a refund. Two of mine were lost for 3 years. A forum member send me the found one from a letter that was delivered 3 years late. One was recovered, one wasn't. I'm out $60.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #49
so_dak_kid

[QUOTE=Kube;363045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3738 View Post
I used to check out ePay every day for Ford parts and AMX parts. I have not bought anything since they required PayPal and rarely even look anymore, as there are now hundreds of pages of generic car covers, universal gadgets and widgets that have nothing to do with the specific items that used to be listed.

Just to make this point CLEAR: Paypal is NOT required by eBay. A seller may accept any form of payment he / she desires. However, as a seller we are not allowed to advertise within our ads that we accept anything other than Paypal.
I, like some others have gotten around this somewhat by stating "I accept other forms of payment".
The problem remains is that so few folks actually read the ads. I am amazed at how many questions I get sent that ask about 99.9% of what I've already stated clearly within each ad.

EBay has been both a blessing and a curse to me. A blessing as I am able to sell things that most would simply walk by at a swap or, if they wanted it, had $15 in their pockets. you know, prepared for a swap meet
A blessing as I don't have to haul the stuff 100+ miles, sit out in the cold or sun all day to have some bozo offer me .10¢ for an item I am asking (fairly), $50.
That was the primary reason I stopped swapping years ago.
A curse? Yep, the high costs associated with eBay.
Bottom line for me: Better prices realized overall and less bozos.

I have been elated numerous times in that I have been able to help numerous folks out and they take the time to let me know. THAT very often makes my day.
I agree with KUBE...these nimrods at swap meets want to buy your $10 part for 50 cents. I stopped swapping 7 years ago myself. Ebay sucks for their high fees but after its all said and done, I'm money ahead and less BS selling on the internet vs the hassle of swap meets.

P.S. I dont miss getting in the swap line at 2 am either
so_dak_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #50
hotrodal52

you boys better look a little closer paypal takes a percentage of your shipping also look closer at your paypal statement you will see it so ebay takes final value for transaction and shipping and paypal takes final value for transaction and shipping. The problem is ebay got to big unemployment went bad they laided off people to save money. they use to charge 3.5 % final value fee then the started to let you list for free but final value went way up. they got people trying to figure out how to get more of your money all day long. the down size is you can't get the money for your stuff on your own. I put all the stuff I want to get rid of in a box and will try it here first if it doesn't sell then on to ebay when I am done I am closing all my accounts and moving on!!!!!
hotrodal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #51
Rowdy
BANNED

I agree. However right now I have more NOS parts to sell than ever and only about a year and a half to get the majority of them sold. Parents are preparing to sell the farm, so I will no longer have room to store excess parts. I was planning on building another storage building here, but that is no longer doable. So I guesse e-bay will be it til the majority of it is gone. Rod
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #52
ROUTE66KIX

regarding postal money orders-i have always found them to be the safest form of payment to accept-just take them to the post office with the part packaged to be shipped-the post office will check the money order to see if its good and will actually cash it for you no charge-and if they dont have the cash on hand for $1 you can buy a money order up to i think $1000 and pay for it with the money order you brought in-a money order that you know is good because you just bought it at the post office-and then ship your package. i have never had a problem with a fake post off money order in 40 years of selling parts but i know fakes do exist.
ROUTE66KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #53
Hoop

It's amazing how different people see eBay. The more they understand business, the more selling and marketing they have done, and the more familiar they are with computers, the internet and technology ... the more they appreciate eBay.

Certainly the complainers have never had to get up every morning and hit the street trying to sell their product to support their families by getting their wares in front of as many customers as possible. For sure, they never had to develop a marketing program for a product launch including the costs of staffing, logistics, software support, etc. etc.

And they are totally unaware of the technological support eBay provides them.

There's a current thread on here about how long folks have been using a computer. I was with Xerox when we had a concept ... "Office of the Future." Whether anyone here is aware of it, Xerox was the first to understand that business communication could be linked through an internet ... they called it "Ethernet." Read about it sometime.

Even with that, nobody I knew dreamed of an eBay.

"Sit at home in your undershorts and sell stuff to the world?"

Ask the old time computer guys about being able to post an auction including uploading photos from your home computer and present it to the whole world then collect and account for the money ... and what it would cost to design and operate the site.

I sell a little on eBay. To me, considering my business background, it's incredible ... and a bargain.

(If it were me, I'd stop using terms like "ePay" and "fleabay", it leaves the impression of an uninformed user. Honestly. But, everyone's free to do as they please.)

Last edited by Hoop; 02-13-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #54
36coupe3w

I have been told that Ebay owns 40% of Craigslist. so the free site will not remain free. If you look at renting apt there is a column that reads % of transaction to be paid to Craigslist. Craigslist is offering for free but in time will be charging a fee on all transctions
36coupe3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #55
Rowdy
BANNED

Much agreed Hoop, I made a living out of it for a couple of years. Then had to pay off my med bills from my fight with cancer. Being currently overwhelmed with med bills yet again I have no choice but to sell at an excelerated pace. Maybe some day I will get to spent some of the profits on my car, but currenly I am not evel looking at it. Rod
Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #56
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
It's amazing how different people see eBay. They more they understand business, the more selling and marketing they have done, and the more familiar they are with computers, the internet and technology ... the more they appreciate eBay.

Certainly the complainers have never had to get up every morning and hit the street trying to sell their product to support their families by getting their wares in front of as many customers as possible. For sure, they never had to develop a marketing program for a product launch including the costs of staffing, logistics, software support, etc. etc.

There's a current thread on here about how long folks have been using a computer. I was with Xerox when we had a concept ... "Office of the Future." Whether anyone here is aware of it, Xerox was the first to understand that business communication could be linked through an internet ... they called it "Ethernet." Read about it sometime.

Ask the old time computer guys about being able to post an auction including uploading photos from your home computer and present it to the whole world then collect and account for the money ... and what it would cost to design and operate the site.

I sell a little on eBay. To me, considering my business background, it's incredible ... and a bargain.

(If it were me, I'd stop using terms like "ePay" and "fleabay", it leaves the impression of an uninformed user. Honestly. But, everyone's free to do as they please.)
One interesting statistic is that ebay employs 15,000 people! Unbelievable!

It also seems to be a natural monopoly. Anyone however can buy their stock last I checked and would be paying themselves. Since I started selling a few years ago they have raised fees at least 5 times each time claiming they were lowering them! Oh, well, no one has to use it.

One time a bidding war got started on one of my reproduction popout switches and it was bid to $300! I felt so bad about the buyer I contacted him and sent him my best original popout instead! Since the great recession started I quit selling as the buyers just aren't there anymore IMHO. To me it is the new flea market. I tried going to auto swap meets in Texas and wasted a lot of gas on driving and found nothing I wanted.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #57
mrtexas

Quote:
Funny story from my cousin. He worked at Xerox and resigned on his 20th anniversary a number of years ago to own and run restaurants in Denver. He is the only entrepreneur in the family. Xerox PARC invented so my PC technologies like the mouse and Ethernet but couldn't seem to develop or make a profit on any of it. My cousin called the leaders of Xerox "TonerHeads." They couldn't think beyond the copier and ignored or squandered the innovative inventions their researchers came up with.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #58
cbillelder

[QUOTE=Kube;363045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3738 View Post
I used to check out ePay every day for Ford parts and AMX parts. I have not bought anything since they required PayPal and rarely even look anymore, as there are now hundreds of pages of generic car covers, universal gadgets and widgets that have nothing to do with the specific items that used to be listed.

Just to make this point CLEAR: Paypal is NOT required by eBay. A seller may accept any form of payment he / she desires. However, as a seller we are not allowed to advertise within our ads that we accept anything other than Paypal.
I, like some others have gotten around this somewhat by stating "I accept other forms of payment".
The problem remains is that so few folks actually read the ads. I am amazed at how many questions I get sent that ask about 99.9% of what I've already stated clearly within each ad

EBay has been both a blessing and a curse to me. A blessing as I am able to sell things that most would simply walk by at a swap or, if they wanted it, had $15 in their pockets. you know, prepared for a swap meet
A blessing as I don't have to haul the stuff 100+ miles, sit out in the cold or sun all day to have some bozo offer me .10¢ for an item I am asking (fairly), $50.
That was the primary reason I stopped swapping years ago.
A curse? Yep, the high costs associated with eBay.
Bottom line for me: Better prices realized overall and less bozos.

I have been elated numerous times in that I have been able to help numerous folks out and they take the time to let me know. THAT very often makes my day.

Ebay has tightened the screws a little more on "Buy It Now" sales. I took a "Buy It Now" on an item recently and they stated they would not discontinue the listing or show it as being sold until it was paid for by Paypal. I guess all that's left to bid on is auction sales. I quit selling on Epay a couple years ago.
cbillelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #59
Kube

Quote:
It's amazing how different people see eBay. The more they understand business, the more selling and marketing they have done, and the more familiar they are with computers, the internet and technology ... the more they appreciate eBay.

Quote:

Hoop, It is always apparent that you think the subject matter through thoroughly and make your comments only after that. I nearly always agree with you but even on the rare occasion I don't (completely), I respect the fact you've taken the time to develop an educated opinion.
This is one of the typical times that I agree with you in full.
I have both managed businesses for others and own my own. It is amazing how many folks have absolutely no clue of the expenses involved just to allow the front door to be opened each day. Every successful business must recoup these costs as well as manage to make a profit.
EBay is no different. While I may not like many of their imposed rules nor their fees, I like, everyone else has a choice. Utilize what eBay has to offer or don't. It is that simple.
NO ONE is forcing anyone to either buy or sell through their Site.
As a seasoned seller on eBay I can tell all that the most frustrating thing I encounter over and over again is not eBay. Rather, it is the countless (majority) of buyers that simply do not read the ads.
I have made my ads as short and to the point as possible in the hope that these buyers would actually take the minute required to read them.
Doesn't work... my biggest frustration remains with the folks that complain about my shipping fees. I charge the exact amount I am charged. Never any bogus handling nor packaging fees. Still, they complain.
Bottom line remains: The rules and fees associated with eBay are clearly posted for all to read. Don't care to read them? Too bad. Did read them and don't care for them? Either accept them or move elsewhere.

EBay has allowed many folks within our hobby to find parts they otherwise could not. I can say that with authority as I (personally) have sold 100's of those rare parts that otherwise would remain to this day in my storage. Prices? It's what the international market will bear. That, as Hoop and others have noted is called the free market.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #60
BUBBAS IGNITION

AMEN DICK !!!!!

This entire shipping post has been wearing me out !!!
Good answer to the issue !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICK SPADARO View Post
As a shipper and Ebay seller I'll try to shed some insight into this discussion, First understand that there are factors that determine shipping charges from a private individual to a commercial business. While shipping is not easy to relate to it is a fee that has to be paid or absorbed in some fashion.

If you are an individual shipping out one or two packages the Postal service might be your best bet. However be reminded that you should purchase extra insurance and delivery confirmation to insure that the package is delivered to the intended customer. These are additional charges, so a small Postal service $5.35 box can now be almost $7.00 to ship and that can go up based upon size of the package and insured value. The disadvantage of the postal service is in the tracking and reimbursement time should the package be lost or damaged, in some cases this could be as much as 6 months time.

Dealing with shipping services is another issue both Fed Ex and UPS have rates based upon the shipping incentives to the shipper. Meaning they have posted rates and then discount rates based upon the volume you ship out. This does not mean that a discount is always cheaper as they base some of their rates on delivery access and the wether the address is a commercial address or as residential address. If you go to the Shipping store the rates are the highest as they have to cover the cost of the store front, insuance employees and what ever expense they incur in operations.

As a business the shipping that you are charged is kind of offset between the handling cost built into the piece, the expense of the employees to package and ship the part and the packaging material as well as the actual shipping paid to the delivery company, Postal service, Fed ex , UPS or whatever. This is where some of the issue of cost comes into question.

Using this is an example you can see how shipping adds up to a business expense that has to be distributed to the customer. An average $12.50/hr packer costs the employer about $15.00 /hr with all the taxes and insurance and mandated employee costs, an average packer can pack about 17 randomly sized boxes in a 1 hour shift (50 min) or about $1.00 labor/ box. Now add the cost the cost of the box and packaging materials say about $2.50 ( large boxes could be more) and then add the shipping charge to your destination area (1lb minimum is around $11.50 residential).. $1.00 labor + $2.50 packaging,+ $11.50 delivery cost = $15.00 to ship a 1 lb package. You can't easily eat the cost of delivery unless you have hidden the cost into the purchase price making it higher or have such a markup that you can absorb some of the costs. Since the majority of consumers price shop lowest price as a priority, keeping the part price down is an important factor so the shipping charge has to be balanced out on the consumer end. Remember you are not investing gas or time to go down to the store to pick up the parts, they are being delivered right to your door step just like the pizza delivery guy who gets a tip. Unfortunately the complaint of shipping charges is slowly bumping up part prices as a way to hide and maintain lower shipping charges either way someone has to cover the costs.

Now the deal with Ebay and their original shipping charge calculations was to aid the purchaser, the problem is that some one figured out you could scam Ebay for the sale premium fee by listing the item at $1.00 and the cost of the goods as the shipping, say $250.00. So Ebay got hosed on the commission because at that time it didn't charge any fee on the shipping. Ebay then revised their fees to include the commission on both the selling fee and the shipping fee to negate the scam.

Here though the fees are based upon going to the higher Shipping Store rates rather than the rates offered business shippers and this is why you see what appears to be such high shipping charges on simple Ebay items. Most good Ebay sellers will send you a revised invoice on your purchase with the actual shipping they charge for the item in question on their own or if you take the time to contact the seller before sending your payment. Its important that you read the details on shipping in the description section of the item you purchase. You are not required to purchase thru Paypal unless the seller requires this style transaction.

In some cases of light packages this fee may be the same as the listing or for heavy packages substantially less. Its simple if the part is heavy or bulky you know it will cost money to ship it. If you dont want to make the investment don't purchase the item.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote