Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #21
Brian

Default Re: Fuel pump push rod throw

Bear in mind, that as there are two differing pushrods to suit two different height flanges on intake manifold, there is also two different length baffle tubes, again 1" longer/shorter to suit.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #22
Coolguyanda36ford4dor

All right guys, so the baffle ventilation tube that I received does not fit in the hole in the intake manifold which has a football shaped, I read somewhere on the forum that the intake manifold that has the football shape is a 1934 and that the ventilation tube was built into the fuel pump stand, my question is does anyone have a picture of the fuel pump stand with the baffle in it , the one that I pulled out of my 36 flat head look like there’s a baffle built in it.
Coolguyanda36ford4dor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:36 PM   #23
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

A lot of cars that come into our shop have faulty manual pumps ,if your rebiulding one
it should have a pressure and leak down vacume test ,push rod ,I mesured a a new cam and it apeared to be 5mm lift ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:46 PM   #24
38 coupe

I have had good result rebuilding three mechanical fuel pumps this year using rebuild kits. Pumps rebuilt were 59A style with the glass sediment bowl, 41 style without external glass sediment bowl, and 53 6 cylinder with longer arm and glass bowl on top of the pump. Make sure you get a quality rebuild kit, and file or sand your split lines flat.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:55 AM   #25
bbrocksr

You need the manifold with the round hole so the baffle tube can plug into the recess in the block. There are both tall and short manifolds. Tall manifold takes the long pushrod and long baffle tube. Short manifold takes short pushrod and short baffle tube.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:18 AM   #26
mike in tucson

We tore down a 59L yesterday. The fuel pump pushrod had a threaded top section which screwed into the lower tube. It had a jam nut to fix the length.... I have never looked closely at a fuel pump pushrod before.... is the thread normal? This had enough thread so that it could be adjusted to either 7 7/8" OR 8 7/8" length.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:11 PM   #27
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in tucson View Post
We tore down a 59L yesterday. The fuel pump pushrod had a threaded top section which screwed into the lower tube. It had a jam nut to fix the length.... I have never looked closely at a fuel pump pushrod before.... is the thread normal? This had enough thread so that it could be adjusted to either 7 7/8" OR 8 7/8" length.
I've seen those before, but they were all aftermarket parts. I don't believe Ford would have manufactured such a beast - first of all, because it might cost 3 cents more to make, second because people would screw around with the length and the cars might not run. LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:25 PM   #28
mike in tucson

Bored&Stroked.... thanks, I didnt think that Ford would do such. The end that contacted the fuel pump arm was worn at quite the angle. It is amazing how much
off spec a flathead can be and still run.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote