Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
alexiskai

Default Archive of old Model A message boards

One of the problems with learning about Model As from message boards like this one is that it's hard to get at archival content. The current iteration of Ford Barn dates from 2010. Ahooga has posts going back to 1997, but it's hard to search.

Using the Internet Archive, I collected 58,000 posts from old Model A message boards. This collection includes 22,000 posts from the old Ford Barn from 2001-05. The '05-10 era is sadly still MIA. I also got 36,000 posts from Ahooga covering 2000 - 2018.

If anyone is interested in grabbing a copy to make your own private searchable archive, you can download it here: http://gofile.me/54wyz/GbOhuokPi

The ZIP file is about 160MB. Regarding copyright concerns, this application is covered by the fair use exception, which permits noncommercial reproduction for "criticism, reporting, comment, teaching, scholarship, or research."
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
McMimmcs

Default Re: Archive of old Model A message boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
One of the problems with learning about Model As from message boards like this one is that it's hard to get at archival content. The current iteration of Ford Barn dates from 2010. Ahooga has posts going back to 1997, but it's hard to search.

Using the Internet Archive, I collected 58,000 posts from old Model A message boards. This collection includes 22,000 posts from the old Ford Barn from 2001-05. The '05-10 era is sadly still MIA. I also got 36,000 posts from Ahooga covering 2000 - 2018.

If anyone is interested in grabbing a copy to make your own private searchable archive, you can download it here: http://gofile.me/54wyz/GbOhuokPi

The ZIP file is about 160MB. Regarding copyright concerns, this application is covered by the fair use exception, which permits noncommercial reproduction for "criticism, reporting, comment, teaching, scholarship, or research."
You are to be congratulated for your efforts to help out the Model A community. We need more astute members like you. Thanks, Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:59 PM   #3
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
You are to be congratulated for your efforts to help out the Model A community. We need more astute members like you. Thanks, Wayne
Ditto
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:45 AM   #4
Manuel

Yes great job you have done there!! I think a lot of patience would have been required.

The trouble is I don't think I can store anything that big :-(

Manuel in Oz
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
The trouble is I don't think I can store anything that big
The *expanded* size of the archive is 650MB, or about the capacity of a CD. In fact you could put it on a CD if you wanted to, although I wouldn't because searching it (which is the whole reason to have it) will be veeeery slow.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #6
SAJ

Thanks Alexiskai. I did download from your post on another forum before it got "lost". It is a great asset and I am very pleased to have it. And pleased to see you posted it here too.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
Thanks Alexiskai. I did download from your post on another forum before it got "lost". It is a great asset and I am very pleased to have it. And pleased to see you posted it here too.
SAJ in NZ
That one had a certain percentage of files that didn't come through, they were error messages. I corrected the problem, so this batch should be more complete with regard to the FB archives.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:50 AM   #8
SAJ

Thanks again Alexiskai. I downloaded it again to my tablet and will transfer to a PC before I unzip it.
It took 3 goes to download. The first two stalled at 60% download and wouldn't continue. Third go only took a few minutes to 100% completion.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote