Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Jerry McConnell

Default Front End Question

I bought my 1931 Tudoor 6 months. It appears that the car has been setting in shed for 20 years. I've got it rewired and running pretty good, but now I want to ensure it is safe. The car seams to wander when I drive it; I assume some of that is from not having shocks. I tried to lube the front end, but many of the fittings would not take grease or they blew out because they were a pressed fit. Any recommendations on what I should inspect first or replace because of deterioration or wear over time? Jerry
Jerry McConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Front End Question

Tire pressures, age/hardness of tires, before getting into the steering box and any and all other components of the steering system.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
jkeesey

Tires as Paul mentioned would be the biggest. 20+ years old doesn't sound good. Check to make sure the brakes at least operate to start.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Jerry,

The guy who parked it 20 years ago probably did so because it wandered.

You may need new king pins & bushing & an entire laundry list of other front end corrections which are far too many to list in one reply.

Strong suggestion: If you have a Model A club in your area, each club has at least one "Model A Whisperer" that can check out your initial problem(s) in a jiffy -- get those fixed, then call him back for a re-check.

Agree 100%, i.e., nobody feels safe driving a Model A weaving down the road like a third offense DUI or DWI driver who is just returning from an all night spree at the "Ya''ll Come Back saloon."
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
scrapiron

Four nuts, two bolts, two clevis pins and the front end is out,,,,,if you plan to keep it, re-do it now.

Oh, shock links too,,
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Kevin in NJ

Steering box and front suspension need a full tear down and inspection if you really want to be safe. You never know what people may decide is usable for a restoration!!!!

More will be wrong then you may first expect. While you are at it you can check the brakes that are likely not in right either.

See the link to my website for comments on axle straightening and steering box bushings. Do you own micrometers and know how to use them?
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Jerry,

The guy who parked it 20 years ago probably did so because it wandered.

You may need new king pins & bushing & an entire laundry list of other front end corrections which are far too many to list in one reply.

Strong suggestion: If you have a Model A club in your area, each club has at least one "Model A Whisperer" that can check out your initial problem(s) in a jiffy -- get those fixed, then call him back for a re-check.

Agree 100%, i.e., nobody feels safe driving a Model A weaving down the road like a third offense DUI or DWI driver who is just returning from an all night spree at the "Ya''ll Come Back saloon."
"But, Ossifer, I only had 2 beers, thet's extra FUEL in them jars"! (HIC!) bILL w.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelA_Ford_Wreck.jpg (45.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 12-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Jerry McConnell

I was a helicopter mechanic in the Army and used micrometers to take measurements.
Jerry McConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Patrick L.

If it just seems to wonder, then it must not wonder very much. How much steering wheel free-play is there ? Have you checked the toe-in ? Play in front end can come from anything in the front end from the wheel bearings all the way through and back to the steering box adjustment and anything in between.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Bill,

If that is you in the photo ........... AND, the photo was taken after the officer left, looks like he agreed that you were just carrying this extra bottled fuel.

Glad to hear you survived such an accident.

I'm sure for strict health reasons, your bottled fuel was all "unleaded".
Old 12-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
28ACoupe

Check your balls. You may need new ones.

The steering connector balls that is. They should be round or nearly so. If they are football shaped, then look at getting them replaced. Make sure this is done by someone who knows what they are doing. If you get the ball-height wrong, you can have extremely tight steering due to binding(been there, done that).
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Timberbeast

IMHO If it were my car and planing to keep it I would replace the spring shackles, king pins and tie rod ends, doing so you should never have to replace them again. Check the brakes for proper function be sure everything is free. I find it is easier to work on the brakes with the axle in the car to do a complete overhaul.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Bill,

If that is you in the photo ........... AND, the photo was taken after the officer left, looks like he agreed that you were just carrying this extra bottled fuel.

Glad to hear you survived such an accident.

I'm sure for strict health reasons, your bottled fuel was all "unleaded".
Not me, H.L, That happened in Palestine, Texas, after a WILD police chase, the driver died as he went out through the ROOF! Bill W.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
juke joint johnny

Well Bill I guess he was feelin No Pain if he was drinkin that Stuff !!!!

Reminds me of the old George Jones Song ; White Lightnin !!!!!
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

Jerry,

A. One "simple" starting point could be:

1. To lift car & place jack stands under both sides of front axle.

2. Grab each front tire at top & bottom, try to shake back & forth, in & out, & carefully visually check & also feel for loose play in either king pins, and/or front wheel bearings or anything else.

3. Spin both front tires to see if they wobble more than 1/8" in & out -- maybe place rear tires on front for now if they wobble less.

4. Under "Search" please refer to "countless" articles to see what others have written on loose & wandering front ends "while" your front end is lifted.

B. Secondly, get a helper to get inside car to rotate steering wheel back & forth so you can visually "see" & personally "feel" what is loose & where loose "steering" play is occurring.

C. Best to provide a final alignment, "toe-in check" ............... "after" all loose play is removed.

D. Just like the others trying to assist as noted above, let us know what you find after each step & certainly more help will be on the way.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Yo! back up! Dog here,
Y'all don't READ?? He sed it didn't got NO SHOCKS!!
A Model A with NO SHOCKS will wander like a DOG, every which away, even if the other frunt end stuff is copusetic!! Ol' Bill even missed thet one, HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA (DON'T tell him I LAFFED, please.) Buster T.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
johnsor

All of the above suggestions are valid and important, however I have experienced that the tires being out of alignment (proper toe-in) has a great influence on "wandering". Easy to check and correct (see Les Andrews method).
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Besides the steering box, it's only about 100 bucks to rebuild/align the front end (assuming the balls are round) That's what I would do if it were mine.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #19
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Jerry,

As far as Model A shocks, & Model A wandering, this response may be shocking, & may cause some to begin wondering ......... but in my case, I drove my Model A for years with no shocks ......... with no wandering ......... just in case some are wondering about wandering.

Per response no. 17 above, similarly, my newly acquired 1930 Town Sedan was wandering profusely when I first got it such that it was most dangerous to drive ................... in first checking toe -in, I found a toe-"out" of 2-1/2" ................been wondering ever since what type of guy would drive with this kind of wandering ....... no wonder it was stored in a car collection for 30 years when I got it.

With profound serious respect for all above intelligent & helpful replies, & for everything informative formerly posted under "Search", it appears one "never" knows what one will find right or wrong after "investigating" any newly acquired vintage vehicle.

Could be something simple, or more involved ........ we never know until we carefully look.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

Yes, jack it up to check king pins & wheel bearing wobble. BUT, have the wheels ON the ground when having an "operator" turning the steering back & forth to check for other looseness. Weight on the wheels "LOADS" the system in order to find loose stuff.
SERIOUSLY, every Model A that I ever drove, with NO SHOCKS, was like a rocking chair that rocked SIDEWAYS, & them dudes WILL DART & if you whip the steering wheel at higher speed, them dudes will ROLL over!! A ROLLOVER in a "SQUARE" car is something you DON'T want to experience!
The guy in the pic DIED when he went out the top & took out the whole roof, I read the whole article about it. Shocks are expensive, BUT you got to have them to be SAFE, especially with silly old CROSS type springs. Why do you think cars DON'T use that type springing anymore?? Fords up to 1948, were a "little" better, but mostly due to lower center of gravity & added sway bars from the factory on some of them.
Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelA_Ford_Wreck.jpg (45.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 12-22-2013 at 04:22 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote