Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
flash9376

Default Idle problems

Ive been having problems getting my A to idle smoothly. When idling, there is a slight backfire from the carburator, almost like its coughing. If I speed up the idle, it goes away but then the car idles way too fast. When I try to slow down the idling speed, I get the backfiring then it usually stalls out. I had it running smoothly a while ago, then it started stalling when I would come to stop while driving, then eventually all these problems ensued. Ive adjusted and re-adjusting everthing, took apart the carb, checked all the jets and valves and such and I re-timed the car several times as well. I cant seem to think of anything else to check. Ive read all the service bulletins, restorer guide, etc about adjusting the carb and timing and such. I cant seem to fix the problem, I feel like I'm missing something. Anyone have any suggestions? It drives find and accelerates well, just problems with idling.

p.s. Its a zenith carb
flash9376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Mike

Default Re: Idle problems

Sounds like it is running lean, take a look at the vacumn wiper hose. Check manifolds for leaks .

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
flash9376

Default Re: Idle problems

well, seems like the vacuum wiper WAS leaking, which is probably why it stopped working, and the manifold nuts were loose. It seems that a lot of the nuts have come loose since I got it on the road a few months ago, but the car is idling much, much better. Thanks.
flash9376 is offline   Reply With Quote