Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Dal's Dream Car

Default Need some AAAHOOGA!

After spending some time here in the barn, it seems that electrical problems are pretty common so here is mine. Its a '29 Tudor.

Can't get the lights or the horn to work. With the engine running, removing the lighting switch from the column and touching the body of the switch to ground, the horn will sound. It also sounds just while backing the switch out of its seated position. I can jumper from the BAT terminal on the switch to the light terminals and the light will work but still nothing with the switch back in place.

Thought maybe the paint on the switch housing was keeping me from ground so I cleaned that up. No luck.

Do these switches go bad? With an ohm meter and my son up top moving the switch, it seems to be opening and closing.

Can't drive in the parade without lights and a horn!
Dal's Dream Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Ray in La Mesa

Default Re: Need some AAAHOOGA!

The center spring contact on your plastic contact plate of the wiring harness is the horn connection, sometimes it will not be straight and rub against the brass rotating ring in the upper 1/2 of the switch. Put a short piece of shrink tubing around the spring and contact cup to insulate it from the brass ring. Be careful not to cover the face of the contact. Some of the repro switches have a smaller hole in the brass ring so watch for that also.
Ray in La Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Need some AAAHOOGA!

The light switch body needs NO ground, Do you ave the correct switch for the contact plate. 1928-early 29 with fluted headlamps use different switch and contact plates than the later headlamps with high/low beam.

You should have 6 volts on the horn contact in the center of the switch, and when you ground it the horn should blow. Let us know what you find.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote