Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
hotroddeuce

Default 32 window regulators ID

Well bought these as I was told they where '32 3 window they are not holes do not line up(lesson learned ask for measurements) anyone tell me if these are sedan,5 window or ? I am looking to sell and do not want to miss represent them to anyone. Thanks

hotroddeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
DICK SPADARO

Default Re: 32 window regulators ID

A picture would help, Typical 3w scam all 32 regulators are the same 3w, 5w , sedan.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
DavidG

I don't have all of my Ford "Automotive Hardware and Trimming Supplies" catalogues handy to help identify what these window regulators are for, but I can tell you what they are not for.

Very early in the '32 model year, Ford switched from an initial design to the one released initially for Victorias and convertible sedans and from there onward used that design regulator for all of its cars with roll-up windows (plus the sedan delivery). In other words, the regulators shown in your photos are not for any '32 body type.

Also, they are not for any '34 model and up body type, which leaves only '33 models as the possibility. If someone has a '34 "Automotive Hardware......." catalogue handy, they could confirm (or eliminate) that possibility.

Dave
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
David J

Question Re: 32 window regulators ID

They are definately not 40-702700-A , 40-702701-A , 40-762700-R or 40-762701-R . The first two are 33 closed car and the last two are 33-34 cabriolet . Little Dearborn in MPLS MN has a catalog with nothing but these things in it and I would assume other ones are around . David J
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
hotroddeuce

Thanks for the info guys.
The pictures are all of the same 2 just flipped to show both sides with last picture just showing measurement. so are these 33 then?
would there be a part # on these? if so I will clean them they are greasy right now so do not see one.
Thanks Russ
Old 02-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
DavidG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Russ,

Normally, window regulators carried no part number identification.

Dave
Old 02-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
David J

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddeuce View Post
Thanks for the info guys.
The pictures are all of the same 2 just flipped to show both sides with last picture just showing measurement. so are these 33 then?
would there be a part # on these? if so I will clean them they are greasy right now so do not see one.
Thanks Russ
I think you mis-read my post above . The ones in your pics ARE NOT 33 David J
Old 02-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
hotroddeuce

Yes I did misread your post David now see you where refering to the part #'s. Thanks again for all the input. Russ
Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Fordors

Well, I'm confused; but I'll say it again, I'm no '32 expert. I have a five window that I bought over 40 years ago and I think those regulators would fit. It has been a very long time since I have installed the window hardware in that car but just to back up my statement I have a Fordor body that has holes in the front doors with the proper spacing to accept the regulators pictured. The tape measure shows 10 1/2" CC on the horizontal and I scaled the tape in the picture and get a measurement of 3 5/8" on the vertical CC, the same as that Fordor body. In addition, I bought and have four regulators that are the same as those pictured; at the time I, along with my Early V-8 friends believed them to be '32.
We always believed (at least in this neck of the woods) that there were two different front door regulators for 5-W, 2dr., and 4dr., the style pictured and the one with four mounting holes with the longer CC dimension vertical. What I'm left wondering is just because they fit the mounting holes would they operate the window correctly? Anybody here ever use the ones pictured?
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
jerry grayson

There are no regulators like these in the AUTOMOTIVE HARDWARE AND TRIMMING SUPPLIES 1928-1938. I just looked.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
DavidG

Sorry, but the distance between 9 1/2" and 21" is 11 1/2", not 10 1/2".
Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
Fordors

The overall length is not the issue here. The CC measurement I stated is from the center of the first hole to the center of the last hole, and the other hole is right there in the middle at 5 1/4", and the holes on the vertical plane are OK too. The factory holes in the inner door stamping and the threaded bosses on the regulator check the same. Access is limited tonight, but tomorrow I'm going to see if it can, in fact, physically be bolted on the door. Obviously that won't answer my question as to whether or not it would in fact raise and lower the window correctly, but I will post tomorrow with my results.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
cbillelder

What are you going to ask for them?
cbillelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
DICK SPADARO

I noticed this popped up again so I went thru all my regulators and from what I have marked I found a pair similar to the pictured units marked 1932 cabriolet. Now after checking any reference book I have, I can not quickly find any reference to another regulator other than the common B-19240/1 version outlined in the parts manual and trim book. I am of the belief that the pair I have marked cabriolet are indeed a later design regulator used in 32 cabriolet doors to have an increased mechanical advantage to compenste for the heavier window frame and glass. This design is similar to later cabriolet regulators. The bolt spacing matches the mouting space of a 32 tudor door I have.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
hotroddeuce

Thanks again everyone. Russ

Last edited by hotroddeuce; 02-26-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
DavidG

Russ,

The one piece missing in this puzzle is an elaboration of how they did not fit your 3-window door. Was the six retaining screws not lining up with the countersunk holes in your doors or was it the window crank shaft that did not fit relative to the six retaining screws? That information could lead us to the correct conclusion.

Thanks.

Dave
Old 02-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
David J

Question Re: 32 window regulators ID

I agree with Dick Spadaro that they are probably for something with a heavy window like Cabriolets and convertabile sedans . LZ ? I also agree that it's possible they are replacement parts . I have a 33 cab reg in front of me and it is close but definately not a match with yours . Conv sed rears are this geared down type also . Do 35 - up regs have the standoff mounting nuts like the ones pictured ? 33-34 does NOT . David J

Last edited by David J; 02-26-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: fergittin stuff
Old 02-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #18
David J

Exclamation Re: 32 window regulators ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
They are definately not 40-702700-A , 40-702701-A , 40-762700-R or 40-762701-R . The first two are 33 closed car and the last two are 33-34 cabriolet . Little Dearborn in MPLS MN has a catalog with nothing but these things in it and I would assume other ones are around . David J
Thanks fer gettin me offa me but so I could find out sumpin nu { to me } bout 33-34's . And giving me yet another chance to be ignorant { see above post } humility is good ? .Anyway what you have there are early 33 cabriolet regulators - 95% sure on this . I looked at the x-tra pass door that came with the 5w and its regulator has standoff mounting nuts and the inner panel of the door where this mounts is flat exceept for the countersink for the tapered head machine screws that hold the regulator . I looked at three different May cars and they had the normal stiffening ribs . The stiffening ribs eliminate the need for standoffs as the screw heads are in the groove and like the countersunk type are flush - no door panel interference .Also after really comparing yours with a " mid 33 - 34 " reg there is no reason it wouldn't work . Different style but the function looks the same . HOPE YA DIDN'T SELL EM FER FIDDY BUKS ! David J

Last edited by David J; 02-26-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: me typin stinkz
Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #19
barryfromvictoria

hotrod deuce dickspadaro --- i went through this before about a year ago. there is 2 different window winders for 32 5w ,4dr, 2dr, and vickey for sure that are completely different from each other. i have both types. yours pictured is the same as come out of my original 5 window with 6 mounting screws and mounts horizontally. the other winders have 4 mounting screws and mount vertically. i have 9 vickey 5w, 4dr 2dr early and late doors and all of them are stamped for both winder bolt patterns these doors all have 8 stamped dimpled holes for the 2 different winder bolt patterns. i don`t think the winders are repro or cabriolet only. i think 3w are probably unique to the 3 window if yours won`t fit.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #20
Mart

Dick mentioned it in passing, but that regulator is exactly the same as the 32 Tudor front regulator I have in my hand. I just pulled it from my Tudor to properly check.
It may fit others, but certainly the Tudor (long windows in a Tudor) is one of them.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote