Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:57 AM   #21
Mr 42

Default Re: Bob Drake - why overseas?

Last time i looked we lived here.

Cost/Quality is really the question here.

And after Ford genuine parts.
Drake is one of the top three.

The catalogs is outstanding.
But since i live in Sweden id apriciate a better functioning webbsite .

If it was better id made more business with Drake.
Now Macs get my money..
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #22
JWL
Member Emeritus

I think 32 phil came close to expressing the real facts. We only have ourselves to blame. The American buyer has always been "price first". That is how foreign products slowly worked their way into the USA. If you add in the Unions holding companies hostage until they agreed to pay more wages and benefits than the product price could support the emergence of off shore suppliers became mandatory if companies and sellers wanted to stay in business.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #23
Frank The Plumber

Unfortunately Mr 42, that fragile blue sphere, that ark in the middle of blackness does not yet have a populous that live in harmony and unity. It does not have a common people with a common goal. Very sadly this possible only place that supports life as we enjoy it is a collection of tribes of man. These tribes have weapons and technology that can make this eden as cold and brown as the dirt in the foreground simply by pushing a button or two. Somehow our common tribes have been at an advantage for a very short time. I trust in our tribe, we are for the most part fair, we do not pillage and plunder or practice genocide, as tribes that have had the advantage historically have. I fear giving another tribe an advantage in any way over us. To do that may take away our ability to control our own destiny. In truth, this pretty, fragile blue oasis is being held hostage by a species that sit upon it with guns to each others heads, bombs to dull the blue, while they are laughing and drinking and playing poker. What happens when your guy is out of chips? Maybe someday we will be an Eden of man, but as of now we are still just an immature society pointing thermonuclear devices at each other. These Fords are just a joyous distraction from that.

Last edited by Frank The Plumber; 02-10-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #24
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzydale View Post
Hey Vic,I had a set of 39 Zephyr running boards vulcanized by Mr.Hunley Acuff.Yes they were perfect and for what i would consider reasonable dollars,cause he is the only guy on the planet providing this service.diz
Dale, Huntley Acuff did the running boards on our '39 Ford CS. I didn't know that he would do Zephyr boards, thanks for the tip. I’ll contact him. Vic
Old 02-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #25
Tim Armstrong

Bob keep up the good work. I remember when all the stuff came from Argentina...........real junk !
Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #26
Mr 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
Unfortunately Mr 42, that fragile blue sphere, that ark in the middle of blackness does not yet have a populous that live in harmony and unity. It does not have a common people with a common goal. Very sadly this possible only place that supports life as we enjoy it is a collection of tribes of man. These tribes have weapons and technology that can make this eden as cold and brown as the dirt in the foreground simply by pushing a button or two. Somehow our common tribes have been at an advantage for a very short time. I trust in our tribe, we are for the most part fair, we do not pillage and plunder or practice genocide, as tribes that have had the advantage historically have. I fear giving another tribe an advantage in any way over us. To do that may take away our ability to control our own destiny. I truth, this pretty, fragile blue oasis is being held hostage by a species that sit upon it with guns to each others heads, bombs to dull the blue, while they are laughing and drinking and playing poker. What happens when your guy is out of chips? Maybe someday we will be an Eden of man, but as of now we are still just an immature society pointing thermonuclear devices at each other. These Fords are just a joyous distraction from that.

I agree, but thats a good reason to take a look at this picture, from time to time.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #27
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
Craig, I think this was a far more informative post than many posted on this site. He has addressed many accusations made towards his and other suppliers of parts for us to use in our hobby. I and many others really do appreciate what he and other suppliers do for us. Are all of your posts about a car? Please get over it and have fun here.
Hi uncle buck; If you just read the black part I merely asked a question. Have a nice day unless you have other plans, Craig.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #28
Merc Cruzer

Why is it that the government talks about retraing and budgets “Billions” for it and yet when there is an obvious need for a product (we are talking about classic car parts here but there are other items too) it goes unanswered. I have to believe that many of the machines do exist in the tool and dye shops that were closed down in the Detroit area, when the auto industry stopped placing orders. I would hate to think that they are being sold for “scarp and being shipped overseas”! That isn’t to say that the expertise is not there, because it is, and I have to believe that many of the layed off employees have gone through their “99 weeks” (unemployment) and at this point would be willing to go back to work for $18 to $20 an hour. It would allow then to keep their house, cars and food on the table. The “legacy costs” are not there for an upstart company. I have to believe that the industry and this country has the capability to be a lot more flexible than it used to be, when gearing up to produce a product. There is no need to reinvent the wheel, in fact many of our competitors have stolen our designs and ideas and are producing the same products we designed or invented! Back when our “now classic cars” were being built, the workers came to work each day with their lunch in a very simple and basic lunchbox. Try to buy one of these simple lunchboxes today. I know I did and they are not available. I found them in California from a distributor that has them made in China. And they were back ordered when I placed my order. He freely admits that he tried to have them made here but no one would do it or even bid on it, no matter what the costs! If anyone doesn’t believe it can’t be done call Corkey Coker and ask him how his family makes their living. I think it is time we quite bitching and get creative and bring this country back to their rightful position in the manufacturing industry!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6353.jpg (77.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 02-10-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #29
Cecil/WV

I still have a lunch box like that. When I got it I threw my lard pail away. Long ago!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #30
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

I'm not much into re-pop stuff, at all, but when there is no other route you only hope that what you get is close to the real stuff. Bob and other companies have to deal with the changing business environment in order to provide parts that are hard to find or no longer exist. I don't like the off shore deal but it was brought on by many different circumstances and companies had to fish or cut bait. I only hope that they can compete and produce quality parts. I don't and won't own a branded rice burner, rather be towed in a chevy then drive one.

Bob, your reply was well done and well taken.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #31
Henry/Kokomo

A well thought out, cogent reply. I salute your efforts and join you in the regret that so much has to be imported in order to "keep the doors open". Many thanks for your efforts on behalf of the hobby. I feel sure your reply has increased the awareness/understanding level among 'Barners. Hope it serves you well.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #32
jerry grayson

Bob, I really don't have a problem with where a part is made so much( would like it if it could be made in USA), as I am disturbed when the part is described as just like the original and when you get it does not fit right or look the same. I am not pointing a finger at you or any one else in the parts business. I happen to be a small part of the antique parts business, so I have a unique prospective on the question. I really don't know exactly where the problem is with any supplier, I just know that it exists.
I also know that some parts sold as fitting, say 1935 through 1937 and you as the customer know that differences exist in every year, then they are not "just as original". They may sort of fit, but are not correct and require modifications to the part or the vehicle.
I just would like to see this problem addressed.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #33
Kentf1003

What was your quote? "Times change and you HAVE to change with the times." Sounds like, "Follow the other companies."

You are a leader in your industry. Continue to find ways to bring the trade back home. Real Americans still want to buy American.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #34
1931 flamingo

Merc Cruzer; Been out of work for 108 weeks (who's counting), i think in the next few months about 6- million will roll off after 99 weeks and become non-entities. You aren't counted anymore, therefore the #'s will start to "look" better, but in reality it's worse. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Paul in CT
Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #35
FL&WVMIKE

1931 Flamingo ..................
You are absolutely correct !
Once you are not drawing unemployment, you are NOT considered as being unemployed. This makes the statistics look much better.
This is not a new thing, thought up by the current administration. It has always been that way.
MIKE
Old 02-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #36
rocket hot rod

Bob, thanks for the explaination. Like many I try to find original parts, but at times I don't have the patience or just plain can't find them. It is nice to be able to view a catalog like yours, find what I need, order it, and have it arrive at my door.

Being in the manufacturing business years ago I know there is quite a bit of work involved bringing a designed component to market. I appreciate what you and your employees do.

Thank you for your hard work, good quality parts, and helping to keep our hobby alive.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #37
al pa.

With all this website space being taken up with debates,that are only individual opinions,maybe it could be used to inform american manufacturers,what is needed.I'm sure there are quite a few,who have available capacity in their shops.Let them know.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #38
rusty59

I have bought many parts from BD. Not many people knows what it takes to survive in today's business climate. If you have owned your own business you and it is successful, you have worked long hours and sacrificed time with family and friends. if BD didn't make and sell these parts you would have to make most of them yourself. I doubt that most of us have the time and money to do it.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #39
32phil

I don't want to end on a sour note but unfortunately our ability to make things has been eroding for a very long time. I travelled all through New England everyday during the 70's & 80's and all you saw was flatbed 18 wheelers full of machine tools. Huge Bridgeport Mills, lathes , stamping machines etc. all on their way to the Eastern Ports to be shipped overseas. Every machine represented a business closed and many jobs lost. Today you see the machinists personal tools for sale in the flea markets. Most of the old time machinists are gone, and there are no new machinists to pass the tools onto. The factories have not only been closed, they have been dismantled.
Buy American........BUT....... Insist on Quality
Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #40
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al pa. View Post
With all this website space being taken up with debates,that are only individual opinions,maybe it could be used to inform american manufacturers,what is needed.I'm sure there are quite a few,who have available capacity in their shops.Let them know.

Too bad there is not a list.....it would be interesting to know what they could do and how many it would put back to work! Maybe a FORUM needs to be set up addressing this need.
Closed Thread