Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Buying an out of state car on the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Young View Post
Oh, I know what I want, Fred ... I'm looking for a sedan, 2 or 4 door, that has been restored and well maintained. (Wife's pretty picky about the color, too). We did Hershey a few days ago. Saw a few gorgeous cars but with gorgeous prices.
We are making progress. What year and what color? The Tudor sedans were basically all steel. The floorboards were wood, the top bows for the the insert were wood, the header was wood, there were wood tack strips for the upholstery and there was wood in the seat frames. The Fordors were another story. Everything that was wood on the Tudors was wood on the Fordors. In addition there was a lot of structural wood in the door frames. The structure for the floor was wood. A lot of the structure for attaching the body panels was wood. There is one exception for the Fordors. During the 1931 production year they changed the design to make the Fordor mostly steel like all of the Tudors. This design also included a slanted windshield and no sun visor on the outside (they added sun visors inside of the car), thus these were called the slant window sedans. If you get a Fordor I would recommend the slant window. If you do get a straight window Fordor be sure all the wood is solid and the doors close easily as the wood can get very expensive to replace.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote