Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
rbullockv8

Default Fixed my '32 Throttle Knob

I thought some might be interested in this. My Dennis Carpenter knob set from a decade ago came with the Throttle knob already attached to the short, 1/2-round shaft for connecting to the linkage under the dash. Recently (perhaps due to the Redding, CA 110°++ heat), the knob began to slide off the chromed shaft, making pulling out the Throttle useless.

I removed the unit from the dash, easily pulled off the knob, and then used my Dremel rotary tool with a thin cutoff wheel to grind circular groves in the knob end of the shaft to hold some glue. I also cut a lengthwise grove to relieve pressure when I shoved on the knob with glue. The groves might have been overkill since I was using Q-Bond, but I wanted to ensure grip on the metal.

After applying a thin coat of Q-Bond super glue to the shaft and groves, I aligned the knob lettering and shoved it on. I'll let it harden overnight, but my experience with Q-Bond is that I won't have more problems with a loose knob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Throttle Knob 1.jpg (30.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle Knob 2.jpg (88.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle Knob 3.jpg (38.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Q-Bond.jpg (42.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
glennpm

Default Re: Fixed my '32 Throttle Knob

Good information and fix Rich!

Last weekend I tightened up the grommet on the back of the dash with a small hose clamp. My throttle would slip easily before the fix but no more. I got the idea from Karl at this link:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=21
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
325w

When I retwire a tri five Chevy I reuse the old headlite switch knobs. I have a board with a hole drilled in it. Clamp the board to the drill press table with the knob in place. Chuck the shaft into the drill press. Slight heat hear the knob and push up on the press handle. The knob slides off. Then attach the knob to the new switch knob with JB quick weld. Works on most any of the knobs I've tried it on.
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
rbullockv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325w View Post
When I retwire a tri five Chevy I reuse the old headlite switch knobs. I have a board with a hole drilled in it. Clamp the board to the drill press table with the knob in place. Chuck the shaft into the drill press. Slight heat hear the knob and push up on the press handle. The knob slides off. Then attach the knob to the new switch knob with JB quick weld. Works on most any of the knobs I've tried it on.
Great idea! Hopefully I won't have to try that, but I'll try to remember your method if I do.

I put mine back together just now. Everything seems tight and the throttle works well.