Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
rbullockv8

Default Oil pressure gauge & filter question

I didn't get any response to this on the V-8 Forum, so trying here. This is for my 32 Roadster Pickup. Hoping someone can shed some light.

I had my Model B engine rebuild years ago by Phil Andrews in Ojai, CA. He told my to add an oil pressure gauge to the full-pressure oil/filter system he installed. I'm sure he told me where to add it, but if I wrote it down, I don't know where. I've lost touch with Phil--I believe he moved--so I can't ask him (unless someone on FB knows how to reach him).

The mounting block he made to hold the regulator and filter mounts in the original B motor fuel pump holes, which made it necessary to add an electric pump.

So my question is, which line does a Tee go in to connect the oil pressure gauge line? I'm thinking it is the one that comes out of the base of the regulator and into the timing cover. Anyone have a full-pressure system? Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5216.jpg (65.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5214.jpg (58.0 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5215.jpg (58.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 05-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
RawhideKid
BANNED

Default Re: Oil pressure gauge & filter question

I would think that you would want the pressure gauge located at the output of the pump which would reflect the health of the rest of the pressure system. Say the filter gets clogged, pressure would raise, or anywhere along the system would increase the pressure if the health was poor.

My wooden nickle worth.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullockv8 View Post

So my question is, which line does a Tee go in to connect the oil pressure gauge line? I'm thinking it is the one that comes out of the base of the regulator and into the timing cover. Anyone have a full-pressure system? Thoughts?
Yes,..I agree,..or better yet, in the side cover..
Also,..the pressure line out of the engine to the filter, the hose isn't pushed
on all the way...it looks SHORT.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #4
Synchro909

That short hose is where I'd put a gauge. It appears to have a split in it too.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
rbullockv8

If I'm thinking correctly (big assumption): the short line that comes out of the block is where the oil pump is. So that should be the max output of the oil pump, correct? A gauge in that short line would measure the full output of the oil pump, but it wouldn't measure the output of the vertical regulator with the adjustment screw on the top. In his notes, Phil said to keep the output oil pressure at 25-30 lbs at cruse speed, and that would require using the adjustment thumbscrew on the regulator. That's why I'm thinking the curved hose that goes into the timing cover would be the place for the gauge. My suspicion is that this path feeds the crankshaft and lower rod bearings which are now inserts and drilled for full-pressure oiling.

I definitely should have written this down, but it was 14 years ago and the motor was in storage most of that time. I think I got ahead of myself. Also, the apparent crack in the hose is just a scuff. However, it's not pushed onto the fitting all the way as it should be. Need to replace that.

Again, thanks for any opinions on this. I do appreciate them.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #6
denniskliesen

The oil going into the TIMING GEAR cover is bypass oil. You want to measure from between the block and the adjustable valve. That is where the output oil pressure is. I'd put a tee where the elbow is coming out of the block.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullockv8 View Post
If I'm thinking correctly (big assumption): the short line that comes out of the block is where the oil pump is. So that should be the max output of the oil pump, correct? A gauge in that short line would measure the full output of the oil pump, but it wouldn't measure the output of the vertical regulator with the adjustment screw on the top. In his notes, Phil said to keep the output oil pressure at 25-30 lbs at cruse speed, and that would require using the adjustment thumbscrew on the regulator. That's why I'm thinking the curved hose that goes into the timing cover would be the place for the gauge. My suspicion is that this path feeds the crankshaft and lower rod bearings which are now inserts and drilled for full-pressure oiling.

I definitely should have written this down, but it was 14 years ago and the motor was in storage most of that time. I think I got ahead of myself. Also, the apparent crack in the hose is just a scuff. However, it's not pushed onto the fitting all the way as it should be. Need to replace that.

Again, thanks for any opinions on this. I do appreciate them.

Ok from what i can see the line that goes from the reg to the timing cover would be a pressure relieve line so mu thoughts are your pressure gauge would need to go in the line that goes to the valve cover and feeds the ports that feed the internals
But thats just my thoughts without seeing first hand
Good luck
Timkirk/Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote