Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
klicker

Default rear brakes, seal, etc

I posted a couple weeks ago about a grabbing brake. Finally able to borrow a hub puller. Found what appears to be 90 wt oil in hub cap, and bearing area of drum was full of it. Bad seal apparently? The wheel cylinder doesn't appear to be leaking. I've read a lot of posts from searching.... still confused. Is there another seal inside the axle housing? Or just the seal in the drum that seals the bearing?

Also, I read that there is a fiber washer that goes under the axle washer/nut. Mine didn't have one (39).

My bearing surfaces on the axle housing look great, and my drums have plenty of meat, so not all is bad.

Also.... the threaded end of axle is bent to one side.... nearly the angle of the axle taper! How can this happen? And what do I do?
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: rear brakes, seal, etc

There is a seal inside the axle housing near the end where the wheel bearing rides on both left and right housings. The same seal is also used at the front of torque tube. If you have the rear out and apart, I would suggest replacing all three of these seal.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
klicker

John, I don't have the rear out of the car, just pulled drums to see if I had a leaky wheel cylinder or what.... It looks like differential lube leaked into drum bearing an dout onto brake linings.

I don't see that there are seals inside the axle housing (at least near the outer ends). And I can move the axles up and down 1/8-1/4" or so in the housing.

Would the differential lube be too full in order for it to get out to the brakes? It was only on one side and I park level.....
Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
trainguy

The seal is in the hub along with a snap ring it keep the hyatt bearing in the hub.There is also a fiberwasher that fits into a rec ess in the hub between the hu b and the axle nut.
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

If you are talking about a '39 banjo rearend, in addition to the seal in the drum/hub, there is also (or should be) an axle seal inside the housing about 4 to 5 inches in from the outer end of the bearing. You cannot see this seal unless the axle housing is removed from the rear. It has to be driven out from the wheel bearing end and replaced with a special tool from the bell/large end of the housing.
The axle will move around as you describe once the drum assembly has been remove. If it moves as much as you describe, the seal is most likely shot.
I just recently replaced the ring & pinion gears and rebuilt the rear with new bearings and seals on my '35 fordor sedan, so all of this is still very fresh in my mind.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-03-2013 at 04:03 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
klicker

Thanks John. I have a friend who recently met an old-time Ford guy that builds trannies and rearends. I'll see if I can connect with him if I need to do the whole rear-end. I think it may be a little aver my head.