Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Factory Operating Improvement Changes

There is a book-full of service bulletin upgrades for 1928, 1929, 1930 and 1931 Model A's & AA's that correct design and manufacturing deficiencies.

Do you incorporate any of these upgrades regardless of how they effect the judging standard basis, that a restored Model A & AA should be like it was when it left the dealer's when new?

In my case, I do incorporate service bulletin changes that affect performance even if they are visible.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Factory Operating Improvement Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
There is a book-full of service bulletin upgrades for 1928, 1929, 1930 and 1931 Model A's & AA's that correct design and manufacturing deficiencies.

Do you incorporate any of these upgrades regardless of how they effect the judging standard basis, that a restored Model A & AA should be like it was when it left the dealer's when new?

In my case, I do incorporate service bulletin changes that affect performance even if they are visible.

Yes Bob, the Service Bulletins was more about instructing the mechanics on how to do retrofits, -or to showcase a change where the mechanic would know/understand the change.

With regard to upgrades in a restoration, I think there are many underlying factors that affect this. To begin with, when a Restorer is restoring using the RG&JS book as their benchmark, ...the book is only being used as a "rulebook" or a guide for adjudication in MARC/MAFCA competition. There will always be Model-As that left the factory that were different than what is prescribed for in the RG&JS book, -however 'one must restore as per the RG&JS book content if they don't wish to receive any deductions in that competition. The only exception to this would be if a Variance has been issued by the JSC for the differences between the component on the vehicle and the RG&JS book's content.

As for making factory engineering-specified upgrades, in some ways that is as much fun to research that and make the changes (upgrades) because you researched to find the reasoning behind the change. This information can often be found comparing the information found on the different drawings, and in the different Engineer's Information sheets.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
alexiskai

Default Re: Factory Operating Improvement Changes

The classic example in my mind is the Change in Wiring bulletin from Nov '29 where they describe putting the ammeter into the ignition circuit for improved diagnostics. They even say "This change can be easily made in old cars."

https://modelagarage.com/service_bul...nge-in-wiring/
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote