Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2016, 05:30 AM   #1
ckain16

Default Crack in block

Looking at the 8ba I picked up, see a crack from valve seat to cyl. Is this a common thing ?? What to do with it ? Thanks.
ckain16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Crack in block

Some cracks are okay, and sorta expected/acceptable, but unfortunately, that's not one of them. I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but it could probably be pinned at the ends of the crack, and welded. Just adds more $$'s to the build. Can you post a picture?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:24 AM   #3
Vanspeed

Would also require a sleeve on that cylinder.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
hulleywoodworking

Not too long ago, you would have been advised to scrap that block and find another, as there were plenty of good blocks out there. Today, this is not quite the case; I've read stories of guys looking at a dozen or more blocks to find one that is not cracked. It appears that the supply of perfect blocks is dwindling.

In my own case, my 8BA block in my 51 F1 had the same crack, from cylinder wall to valve opening. The machine shop that rebuilt the engine was able to pin it, then sleeve the cylinder. This block did not have hardened valve seats, so instead of just installing a valve seat at the valve with the crack, I had them install at all valves. Modern gas burns hotter, and I read that valve seat erosion is likely without the hardened valve seats.

The shop baked and blasted the block and Magnafluxed it before attempting to repair the crack. This was the only crack, so they fixed it; after sleeving the cylinder and installing the valve seat, they pressure tested the block before going any further. The block passed, so I had them complete the rebuild.

The pinning and sleeving added $572.84 in labor and materials to the cost of the rebuild. The Magnfluxing, pressure testing, and valve seats would have been done with or without the crack, so they were not an additional cost.

Yes, it would have been nice to have or been able to find a perfect block, but I am happy with the result that I got using this block.

Of course, if you are planning to make this a faster, higher HP engine, then I would recommend that you do find a perfect block. Mine is all stock, so the repaired crack will not be an issue for me.
hulleywoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
Frank Miller

Baking and blasting, I think it is more akin to a tumbler in steel shot, is the best way to clean a block. You will need to put a preservative on it as the heat burns every last molecule of oil out of the cast iron. So I'm told.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
Ronnie

$572.84 in labor and materials just for that. You have been duped . All that for the sleeve and installation with a crack pinning. Did you get a kiss as well? Materials a sleeve and a few pins. Holy cow!!! There is less than $100.00 of materials. Did he wear ta mask?

R

Last edited by Ronnie; 04-14-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
$572.84 in labor and materials just for that. You have been duped . All that for the sleeve and installation with a crack pinning. Did you get a kiss as well? Materials a sleeve and a few pins. Holy cow!!! There is less than $100.00 of materials. Did he wear ta mask?
R
And when was the last time you had it done and what did you pay?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
aonemarine

When I took my first flathead to the machine shop to be tested, they found a crack. I asked about repairing it and was given the best advice on what to do.
To quote the machinist.....
" look at how much you are investing into rebuilding this engine, Starting off with a cracked block is not a wise decision. Find a good block to start with. You will be happier knowing you did."
It was not about if the crack could be repaired or not, and I'm sure the comment will raise great debate. But in the end I am sure we would all like to start out with a good un cracked block.
I have since purchased tools and equipment for pinning cracked blocks and experiment on two of them. The one block the crack ran well down into the bowl area of the exhaust. The casting was so thin that I was barely grabbing 3 threads on the plug. I quickly decided that block was best set aside. The other block had a small crack that stopped at the seat. it was pretty easily repaired and I would not hesitate to use it.
I also dare not start the welding VS pinning debate...LOL
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #9
Vanspeed

My block is at the machine shop right now getting a sleeve. The crack was from a water jacket to the cylinder. Price from the machine shop was 140.00.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
My block is at the machine shop right now getting a sleeve. The crack was from a water jacket to the cylinder. Price from the machine shop was 140.00.
Now that the correct shop.That is a good quote. Granted some may be higher But not 400% that is steep to say the least.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
Frank Miller

Did you get it done in MA?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonemarine View Post
When I took my first flathead to the machine shop to be tested, they found a crack. I asked about repairing it and was given the best advice on what to do.
To quote the machinist.....
" look at how much you are investing into rebuilding this engine, Starting off with a cracked block is not a wise decision. Find a good block to start with. You will be happier knowing you did."
It was not about if the crack could be repaired or not, and I'm sure the comment will raise great debate. But in the end I am sure we would all like to start out with a good un cracked block.
I have since purchased tools and equipment for pinning cracked blocks and experiment on two of them. The one block the crack ran well down into the bowl area of the exhaust. The casting was so thin that I was barely grabbing 3 threads on the plug. I quickly decided that block was best set aside. The other block had a small crack that stopped at the seat. it was pretty easily repaired and I would not hesitate to use it.
I also dare not start the welding VS pinning debate...LOL
[URL=http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/davidflowers1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzA1NDkuanBn.jpg.html]
So you've never actually had one done? Nor even gotten a quote on having it done?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
Is that all they are doing-sleeving it? If so, I paid $31.29 for the sleeve and $142.80 for installation.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #14
Ol' Ron

If Frank Casey is still around, he pinned several of mine and we ran right on the pins, no need to install a sleve. AS far as I know, they're still running.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #15
aonemarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulleywoodworking View Post
So you've never actually had one done? Nor even gotten a quote on having it done?
Yes I have had it done, to install the sl3eve it was 100.00 plus the sleeve. Pinning price will vary as it is based on the labor/ difficulty of the job.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #16
aonemarine

Quote:
So why do you think I got duped? I paid $40.00 more than you did in labor for a sleeve, and you agree that the price of a pinning varies by job. So how was I duped?

Just curious.
I think you have me confuse with another poster...Never said you got dumped.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #17
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonemarine View Post
I think you have me confuse with another poster...Never said you got dumped.
Sorry. Deleted my post. Got posters mixed up.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #18
aonemarine

Quote:
Sorry. Deleted my post. Got posters mixed up.
Thats ok I was wondering why you put me in the pan like a piece of bacon.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #19
s nichols

we have a shop here that specalise in repairing cracks in cyinderheads (tractor- semis desiel) last time I heard they would not touch a flathead-- best to find a good block here in Iowa you can find them-- I have 3 that have been hot tanked + magged good
s nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #20
oldford2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
If Frank Casey is still around, he pinned several of mine and we ran right on the pins, no need to install a sleve. AS far as I know, they're still running.
Ol Ron,
I had Frank pin a block for me about 8 years ago. Excellent craftsman. You sort of hint he is not doing it any more?? Thanks
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote