Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #21
FortyNiner

Default Re: Trip down Memory Lane Or why young kids are messed up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
The thing that us old farts fail to understand, is that was our reality. And we loved it. The kids today have their own reality. They dont want to know about ours, just as we didn't want to know about our parents' reality. Our parents despaired of us just as we despair of the young ones today. The reality of the kids of today is really not that much different in concept, just in details. We dug cars, they dig cars. We dug chicks, they dig chicks. We dug music, they dig music. I know a lot of young people through my work and also my other hobby, and they are by and large very nice, decent people. You have to remember, we had a lot of ratbags in our day too. We had hooligans, we had thugs, we had gangs, very little changes really.
Amen. There have been written whiny complaints about the next generation since the ancient Greeks - somehow we muddle through.
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #22
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
It gets worse. I saw a segment on one of the major networks news shows that says that a large percentage of today's kids are not even interested in getting their drivers licenses. They are more interested in video games and social networking, and are perfectly happy to get a ride with a parent, relative, or a friend. I think they will get a rude awakening when they have to take full responsibility for their lives, but it seems this is the way it is these days. (BTW, I can confirm this after interacting with my own and my friends grandkids.) Remember how bad we all wanted to get our licenses?

Sadly, they don't have to in today's world.

Last edited by 1952henry; 07-01-2014 at 08:53 AM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #23
corvette8n

My two grandsons one 15 the other 5 we're ask by me to watch/help fix a flat on a bicycle, the 15yo could care less, he had a hard time watching, got distracted easily, the 5yo was glued to every movement I made, I hope he will inherit my love for old cars.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #24
scrapiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
Parents who over-schedule their kids.
So sad, and so true. My lady friend gets to see her eight year old granddaughter maybe a few hours a week as the kid has swimming, dancing, ball games, gymnastics, etc. etc. And this kid's mother is a grade school teacher,,,,go figure.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #25
FrankWest

Quote:
The thing that us old farts fail to understand, is that was our reality. And we loved it. The kids today have their own reality. They dont want to know about ours, just as we didn't want to know about our parents' reality. Our parents despaired of us just as we despair of the young ones today. The reality of the kids of today is really not that much different in concept, just in details. We dug cars, they dig cars. We dug chicks, they dig chicks. We dug music, they dig music. I know a lot of young people through my work and also my other hobby, and they are by and large very nice, decent people. You have to remember, we had a lot of ratbags in our day too. We had hooligans, we had thugs, we had gangs, very little changes really.
I once carried a violin case near a corner candy store in my New York City neighborhood and got laughted at by leather jacket greasers....The bad kids were really bad back then.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #26
Tim Ayers

I use to think this way until I started talking to some of these kids. The "hot rodders" who drive around those slammed Hondas aren't too far off from you or me.

They realized a way to get cheap horsepower and go after it. Yes, it may not be one of Henry's bent 8's, but they found some junk yard treasures just like most of us did back in the day.

Yes, a lot about life has changed, but I don't think the spirit of today's kid has changed that much. I'm talking about real life America and not that junk you see on reality TV or media outlets.

Heck, my two sons (11 & 7) still ride their bikes around the neighborhood, play pick-up baseball in the back yard, and go wading through the stream trying to catch crayfish.

Not sure how much more apple pie you can get.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #27
Tim Ayers

Quote:

Very true.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #28
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I use to think this way until I started talking to some of these kids. The "hot rodders" who drive around those slammed Hondas aren't too far off from you or me.

They realized a way to get cheap horsepower and go after it. Yes, it may not be one of Henry's bent 8's, but they found some junk yard treasures just like most of us did back in the day.

Yes, a lot about life has changed, but I don't think the spirit of today's kid has changed that much. I'm talking about real life America and not that junk you see on reality TV or media outlets.

Heck, my two sons (11 & 7) still ride their bikes around the neighborhood, play pick-up baseball in the back yard, and go wading through the stream trying to catch crayfish.

Not sure how much more apple pie you can get.
TIM: You are lucky they don't bring you up on child endangerment charges ~ LOL / LOL
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #29
sanborn

I smile today when I think of how today's teens will cope if they had to take the drivers exam with a standard shift.
sanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #30
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanborn View Post
I smile today when I think of how today's teens will cope if they had to take the drivers exam with a standard shift.
I'd like to see how the drivers license examiner would cope if I pulled up with a standard shift. Speaking of a bunch of morons......
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #31
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
TIM: You are lucky they don't bring you up on child endangerment charges ~ LOL / LOL

Sad, but true. When my boys hear stories of my childhood in the '70's/'80's, they flip.

We would hunt all year, any time without a lisc. I use to ride my dirt bike on road as it was my car. Only got stopped once. At age 12, I use to drive my dad's Willy's CJ2A on road to get to the corn field so I could drive more down there.

The biggest kicker was I lived near Rt. 78 in NJ. Exit 4 to be exact. There were no fences along the corn fields were we rode and the highway. My buddy got the idea to race cars on Rt. 78. We ride along the shoulder in 4th gear and then punch it up until 6th (we all had racing MX bikes. Mine was a CR250-worked all summer mowing lawns and doing landscaping to buy it. $1,800 brand new in the summer of '85).

We would blow by a car at about 80-85 mph and then head down the exit ramp and turn around in the field and get ready to go again. We did this for hours. Never once did a Trooper come to check us out. This was way before cell phones so I guess nobody ever bothered to called them.

The look on the peoples faces as they saw us go by and then they'd hear that obnoxious, super loud BLLLAAAATTTTTTT! of our 2 stroke bikes being held wide open blowing by them was priceless.

Ah, the good old Regan years.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanborn View Post
Interesting comment. I'm the automatic person, always loved high performance automatics. All the kids I know drive stick shifts, wouldn't touch an automatic!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #33
Mark Slight

I had a homeroom teacher in Detroit it was about 1950 who always said "the only thing that is constant is change".

Now my five year old grandson knows the keyboard and spends a LOT of time glued to his iPad.

When he is with me we spend a lot of time in my garage workshop. No phone no iPad! :-) I accept the complaints because he has grease under his fingernails and have taught him to use hand cleaner.

Mark
Mark Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #34
BILL WZOREK

Memory lane is a long & winding road is there any thing else to see ( any thing that you remember from then that puts a smile on your face) ~?~?~?~
Old 07-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #35
raceron1120

Talking Re: Trip down Memory Lane Or why young kids are messed up!!

Quote:
Taking a trip down Memory lane today~~~~How many remember going to the local swimming Hole Then after changing up & taking the cut offs and hanging them on the antenna to dry as you cruised along with you arm around ( insert name here ) and trying to keep the AM adjusted to maybe Wolf Man Jack. Heck the kids now have NO Wolf man and may not even know the name of the Girl his arm is around. And after all that he Ain't got no Antenna to hang the cut offs on.
Throws them on the windshield where the antenna is at at 30 MPH they go BYE ~ BYE
Quote:
Memory lane is a long & winding road is there any thing else to see ( any thing that you remember from then that puts a smile on your face) ~?~?~?~
Shorts? SHORTS? Who wore shorts when swimming? Well, we did but...a lot later when in our mid & late teens. But before that well, not so much. We rode horses quite a bit and many of us - both boys & girls - often went skinny dipping in some of those deep-in-the-woods streams, on those hot sultry Michigan summer days in the 50s & early 60s without giving much thought to anything 'naughty'. That is until it became obvious that we were growing up... Such fun and innocent times! Kids could NEVER do that today without getting in deep doo-doo!

Memory Lane? For a few of us kids, playing baseball was THE thing to do for most of our grade-school years. Sandlot, little league, cow pasture - it didn't matter where. Never went anyplace without our ball gloves hanging from the bike handlebars. Here's a picture (taken on June 18th 2014) of me with 3 old friends from many years gone by, we played hundreds of innings of baseball together as kids. Nearly 50 years later and we enjoyed a day the Comerica Park watching our Tigers, just like we did back in the early 60s at Tiger Stadium. Inset pics are the 3 of us when in junior high school in the early 60s.

raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #36
BILL WZOREK

Keeping this still car related I see you are @Ford Field.
Those inserted pic's came right out of AMERICAN GRIFITY LOL/LOL
Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #37
raceron1120

Oh yeah Bill, right! I drove my FORD over to Butch's place, and we carpooled to Comerica located right in the heart of the MOTOR CITY, in his HOT ROD LINCOLN.

Yes Bill I think you're close about those pics, they are from 1964.

Last edited by raceron1120; 07-02-2014 at 10:41 AM.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #38
Tinker

Those that care, will.

Just wait for your kids, kids generation! But who knows, they might be into what you are. There is a new generation that understands what it takes and want to learn. But maybe they have no where to turn to and just do what is available.

We went through the non driver perspective in our family. But that changed once they they needed to be independent outside of a computer, and know one cared to cater to their needs. Which will happen. Year later the individual enjoys the freedom.

I think things cycle. Today's idiots are tomorrow's friends and care takers.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-01-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:32 AM   #39
Blownflatheaddeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
Sadly, they don't have to in today's world.
I agree with most comments above. What HAS changed is the amount of behaviour curbing laws/policing, Govt meddling and political correctness taught in schools etc that affects these kids PARENTS as well as the kids themselves.

Most of my mates are gearheads and are switched on to the PC crap being shoved down their kids throats and adjust what they say/do with their kids accordingly.

Unfortunately, the same is true down here in Aus Sad but true

And the guys are so wimpy when it comes to dames, its scary

I suppose 20+ yrs of social engineering will get you that.

BFD
Blownflatheaddeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #40
Clem Clement

When I had just gotten out of flying school and into my first Squadron, I tried to tell them old buys how to fly. Their response was" if you don't have 5000 hours in this old airplane, shut up and listen... I learned a lot
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote