Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
demingboy

Default king pin replace

Hi there. I am new here on this forum and hopefully this has not been covered before.
I purchased a 1941 ford deluxe and the toe in is out of whack. After doing some reading here It was suggested no fix until kingpins were replaced. Makes sense as there is some play for sure.
So my question is this. As I found at speedway they sell a kinkpin set and new spindles. Seems to be the way to go for new install purpose,s. It mentioned that I could use stock brakes with the new spindle.
Has anybody done this or is it best to use their disc brake system also?
Another question (I have a bunch) is to change my stock carb out for a new edelbrock carb they mention no vacumn outlet for dist. advance. Where would I find one?
Motor was replaced with a 1951 ford flathead. At somepoint I will be upgrading the same motor further but not yet.
Just an fyi. I already got it running much cooler by using information gained here on this Ford Barn site. Thank you very much
demingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
leon bee

Default Re: king pin replace

It wouldn't occur to me to buy new spindles, I like fixing old stuff. Experts will be along soon, but if you change the carb you'll also be changing the distributor. If it's stock now, that is.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:35 PM   #3
meric42

My choice would be to just replace the king pins and bushes. Nothing is to be gained by replacing the spindles unless they are dropped spindles to lower the front.

Why not have your original carburetor rebuilt if you feel the need? There are several good re-builders out there or you could do it yourself. Check out Charley Price on YouTube he does an excellent series on rebuilding Holley/Ford 94 carb's

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
demingboy

Re: king pin replace
My choice would be to just replace the king pins and bushes. Nothing is to be gained by replacing the spindles unless they are dropped spindles to lower the front.
Oh ok. I tought it would be easier to fit new king pins in new spindles. Must not be, and I could save a buck. I had read where somebody stated that original ford pins were better than newer offering. Not sure why but they are quite a bit more expensive. Hopefully I can use the speedway set up and be fine.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:15 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Demingboy, not sure what your objective is for this car. Just get it functional, do mild restoration and keep it somewhat original, Hot Rod it, etc. You need to determine where you are headed so you have a better idea of what to repair and/or replace. Lots of help here once you decide what you are wanting to accomplish.

Original Ford parts are far superior in most cases (not always true, but most of the time). One of the first things I would do along with the kingpin change is think about where you are wanting to go with the brakes.

The original brakes (Lockheed style) are ok, but take a bit of care in adjusting. If you are modifying the car some, Bendix brakes are a good option. They are often referred to a Lincoln brakes.

Along with the kingpins you want to take a good look at the tie-rod ends and the drag link. The whole front end assemble needs to be in good working order. And then there is the steering box.

Last edited by JSeery; 10-21-2020 at 08:22 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #6
fordor41

unless there was a problem I'd go with Ford spindles before I'd use aftermarket. At least you know who made the spindles and know they were made in the USA.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:43 AM   #7
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by demingboy View Post
Hi there. I am new here on this forum and hopefully this has not been covered before.
I purchased a 1941 ford deluxe and the toe in is out of whack. After doing some reading here It was suggested no fix until kingpins were replaced. Makes sense as there is some play for sure.
So my question is this. As I found at speedway they sell a kinkpin set and new spindles. Seems to be the way to go for new install purpose,s. It mentioned that I could use stock brakes with the new spindle.
Another question (I have a bunch) is to change my stock carb out for a new edelbrock carb they mention no vacumn outlet for dist. advance. Where would I find one?
Motor was replaced with a 1951 ford flathead. At somepoint I will be upgrading the same motor further but not yet.
Just an fyi. I already got it running much cooler by using information gained here on this Ford Barn site. Thank you very much
Use stock spindles, Speedway spindles don't have the steering arms made on them. They are bolt on.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
Seth Swoboda

As the other folks said, just replace the king pins and the bushings in the spindles. When the new bushings are pressed in, hone them to fit the pin.

The original spindles will be better quality than any off shore crap Speedway sells, and they sell a lot of crap.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
Krylon32

Another vote for original spindles. No aftermarket part can beat an original Henry Ford part.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #10
Tosaman

Have similar question. I've a '47 and need the king pins repaired. Stock spindles. Anyone recommend a good king pin kit to use (preferably avoid if sourced from China). Thanks.
Tosaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
tubman

Your best chance for that is getting them from one of the guys on here that have NOS parts. I would recommend Third Gen Automotive ("35fordtn" on here) or SouthSide Obsolete ("barnfind08" on this forum). There are others as well.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #12
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Use NOS on the kingpin set since there is no "better"
setup and alternatives are nowhere near the quality.
Edelbrock's 94 carb does have the threaded vacuum port, it has a
brass plug installed when you take it out of their box.

You should probably stick with the OE Ford spindles.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edelbrock 94.jpg (24.7 KB, 4 views)
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Your best chance for that is getting them from one of the guys on here that have NOS parts. I would recommend Third Gen Automotive ("35fordtn" on here) or SouthSide Obsolete ("barnfind08" on this forum). There are others as well.
As tubman suggests above, Fred Wilmer ("barnfind08" here on FordBarn) carries thousands upon thousands of real NOS Ford parts. He can be contacted by sending him a PM using the link below.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/priva...do=newpm&u=104

You can also feel comfort in ordering a QUALITY king pin set, including thousands of other QUALITY parts) from Michael Driskel ("35fordtn" here on FordBarn) who owns and operates "3rd Gen Automotive in McMinnville, Tennesee. Send him a PM at this link below:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/priva...o=newpm&u=7302

Or call Michael at: Third Gen Automotive in McMinnville, TN

1-844-327-5988

NEW spindles are not usually needed, nor recommended, as the originals are quality FORGED steel pieces from Ford, whereas new spindles can be of very questionable quality. SOME "crappy" repro king pins are actually a few thousandths too small on the diameter. Normally, only the replaceable bushings (included with king pin sets) show any wear. ALWAYS order king pin sets for the year of the spindle, as different years used different length k-pins. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #14
Tosaman

Thanks -- I've used Third Gen Automotive before for other items.
Tosaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #15
GB SISSON

Quote:
Re: king pin replace
Oh ok. I tought it would be easier to fit new king pins in new spindles. Must not be, and I could save a buck. I had read where somebody stated that original ford pins were better than newer offering. Not sure why but they are quite a bit more expensive. Hopefully I can use the speedway set up and be fine.
Do you live in Deming Wa? I have done quite a few of these king pins.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:44 AM   #16
PeteVS

I priced having my king pins fitted and it was more than I cared to spend at the time. Found this thread which helped me immensely in doing it myself.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...+pin&showall=1
Old 10-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #17
demingboy

Well this forem is great. I have decided to follow advice and use links I got here.
I just brought the car recently. I may not be able to keep it original as the motor is a 1951 ford. Guy put in bucket seats.
I do want to keep the rest as close as I can to original. Its a cool car to drive.
Gotta lotta work to do but need drivalibiality first. So yes kingpins, tie rod ends, toe in set. Steering box if needed. Amazing to me the ride of the vehicle with original suspension.
Had thought the carb was messed up but if rebuild kits still available I will go that route, do not want to change dist. Heck I want to leave it 6 volt also.
Any thanks fellas
Old 10-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #18
41Fordor

My machinist honed the bushings to a perfect fit with his wrist pin setup for like $40. Less than I could buy a reamer for.
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #19
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Had thought the carb was messed up but if rebuild kits still available I will go that route.
Daytona Parts Co. has virtually anything you could need as far as QUALITY rebuild kits and parts impervious to today's rotten gasoline. Link below! We also have a couple of really EXPERT carburetor rebuilders here on the 'Barn also. If needed, just ask and we can direct you. Nice ol' Ford you have there! DD

https://www.daytonaparts.com/carbure...and-parts.html

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote