Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #41
tomkowal

Default Re: Hershey Rain Score: 1937 Ford V8-60 sedan

Nice, my son just sold his, was a carbon copy--v860 and everything else, great car.......
tomkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #42
Pomeroy41144

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith oh View Post
My dad (a Ford dealer in the 30s) said that when the 37 came out the dealers in his area said, how in the hell are we going to sell those ugly ducklings after the 35s, 36s ?
Ford Fact:

Ford sold more cars in 1937 than they sold in 1935 and in 1936.
Some one bought all those cars.
Pomeroy41144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #43
Bulligen

Very nice, I really like the 60hp motors, they are very unique. I have one in a 29 Ford.
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #44
Bulligen

I remember an old time Ford Dealer tell me back when the 60hp's were new, if the owner couldn't put up with their poor performance and really complained, Ford replaced it with an 85 hp at no charge!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #45
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
I remember an old time Ford Dealer tell me back when the 60hp's were new, if the owner couldn't put up with their poor performance and really complained, Ford replaced it with an 85 hp at no charge!

A lot of differences between the 60hp and the 85hp; it's not a straight up simple switch.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #46
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
You don't really believe that, do you? Do you realize just how many items that would need to be replaced? Ain't a matter of just the engine! Plus, it would technically alter the serial number of the vehicle, as it originally was derived from the number stamped on the trans/engine assembly, which would not have been I8-*******. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #47
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramc1 View Post
Doing a little work this winter on the '37. I need to rebuild the water pumps. Before that happened I freshened up the front suspension.

The king pin bushing were worn pretty good. I happened to have a set of rebuilt spindles ready to go so swapped them on. I also installed all new tie rod ends as well.

I took the time to do a little R&R to the front end while I was at it. A little cleanup and paint made a world of difference.

Turning the car around to get back in and tackle the water pumps next.
Thanks for coming back to your original thread and posting more info and pictures of your nice '37. As a kid of 14-15 yo, just getting interested in old cars, a '37 like yours, except it was an 85hp, was the first old car I had a chance to wrench on. It actually belonged to a guy I worked for in a wrecking yard business, and he let me do whatever I wanted with this car. Got it running and driving again, and drove it all over a 100 acre farm he lived on for a year or more. Fond memories for sure.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #48
mramc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
You don't really believe that, do you? Do you realize just how many items that would need to be replaced? Ain't a matter of just the engine! Plus, it would technically alter the serial number of the vehicle, as it originally was derived from the number stamped on the trans/engine assembly, which would not have been I8-*******. DD
The car serial number is stamped on the left frame rail by the steering box. The frame number on the 60 hp cars starts out 54-xxxxx. The number was also on the top center of the transmission bell housing.
My car doesn't have the original trans in it as the trans number doesn't match the frame. I'm not sure about the engine, but suspect it was also swapped as I think my car was made in May 1937 and the engine mount is the very early windowed mount that was discontinued early in production. The engine in my car is also a "tin side" block which was discontinued as well early in 1937 production.

"6.50 rubber really gives you the old dig when you need it!"
mramc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #49
mramc1

Quote:
You'd have to change quite a bit. The radiators are different. The adapter to the front cross member would have to be removed to accept the 85 hp engine. The 60 hp transmission is small and would have to be swapped for the larger 85 hp box. The rearend is geared 4.44:1 which should also be changed to 3.78:1.

"6.50 rubber really gives you the old dig when you need it!"
mramc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #50
Bulligen

I am just repeating what the Ford Dealer told me in 1982, Bergadon Danz Ford, Hampshire Illinois. Maybe he did it just to keep his customers happy. Parts and labor were cheap in the late 30s, maybe they thought it was better than to lose a loyal customer ? I know there is a lot to it but that's what he said.