Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Banky

Default Fan Removal while mounted to head???

Hi all, I need to replace my fan and pulley. Got an aluminum two blade from Snyders. I also got the fan removal tool that screws onto the water pump shaft.

Can I remove my fan from the water pump shaft without removing the water pump from the head? Or can I possibly break where the fan shaft inner end seats in the head?

thanks,
Banky
Banky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Don/WI

Default Re: Fan Removal while mounted to head???

You would need to remove the radiator and related parts in order to remove the fan while the water-pump is mounted to the head. In order to remove the water-pump from the head, you would at least need to tip the radiator ahead far enough to pull the water-pump out of the head. If you are lucky enough to have the bolts that look like studs (part #12300 on page 54 in Bratton's 2012 catalog) holding your water-pump, then you can remove the water-pump without moving the radiator. Hope this makes sense. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
springerpete

About 3 hrs ago I finished the job of replacing my cracked 4 blade fan with a new aluminum 2 blade. I removed the head & water pump and fan as 1 piece. I cut 2 blades off the fan (180 deg aprt) with a sawzall after sliding a double thickness of cardboard to protect the radiator. Removed distributor and it came out easily. Replaced everything with no issues except the fan belt which did not behave well but finally fit Ok.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Banky

Got it. Minimal effort was needed to separate the fan from the shaft.
Thanks
Banky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
TudooR31

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
Replaced everything with no issues except the fan belt which did not behave well but finally fit Ok.
Hi Springerpete,
I'm doing same job. Did your belt not behave because of pulley alignment or that it rides up further in the new pulley groove? Did it just wear in?
TudooR31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
broommaker

I removed the water pump from the cylinder head by, removing the studs from the water pump, had to machine a couple of nuts, making them thinner so I could use as jam nuts to remove the studs. I placed a heavy piece of card board cut to fit against the radiator to prevent damage. Worked the water pump loose, tilted it down and brought it out, I was replacing the old two bladed fan with the alum. Oh! I did remove the hood and the rods from the rad. to the cowl, cut a 1"x4" long enough to move the radiator and shell up against the light bar, left the 1x4 in place, every thing went fine, good luck..

Jim Norris in the ole Bluegrass State
broommaker is offline   Reply With Quote