Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
pebo va

Default Price for 21 stud engine

What would be a fair price range for a used 21 stud V-8 block, complete with pan, aluminium heads, and intake manifold, in good running condition?
pebo va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Price for 21 stud engine

What year? Where are you?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
pebo va

1936 with inset bearings
Old 09-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
jimTN

Alum heads on a lb block would be very unusual. All the alum heads I have seen were for earlier engines with flatop pistons. 36 lb engines had domed pistons and iron heads, there may have been some early ones with alum but I doubt it. 33-4 engines had alum heads.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
jimTN

I will add something else, if it is a lb engine and has been bored out, you may be in for a expensive rebore and sleave job on all cyl. They have thin walls and big bores do not last long.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
David J

What is the pt # on the heads ? If it is 40- they are flattop & if they are 48- or 68- they are domed . Pretty sure 36's can have aluminum heads & a 36 person can verify this . If good the heads are pretty desireable and if it runs decent enough to use I would think at least $1,000 for it . Is it stamped " LB " on the intake surface ? Remember the main cap bolt spacing is 3 " on babbit & 3 1/4 " on insert blocks .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebo va View Post
What would be a fair price range for a used 21 stud V-8 block, complete with pan, aluminium heads, and intake manifold, in good running condition?
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
DavidG

All '36 passenger cars were built with aluminum heads, either with one of the variety of 40-prefix heads for engines with flat-top pistons or with 48-prefix heads for engines with domed-top pistons. (The conventional wisdom is that the 68-prefix heads were released so late in '36 that they are service parts, not used in production.) That many engines are encountered with cast iron heads decades later is attributable to the tendency for aluminum heads to be cavitation-prone when exposed to cooling water with high mineral content.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Mike in AZ

have you pulled the pan and seen that it has inserts??....i think there have been stories of blocks with lb stamped on them and still having babbitt bearing....good luck....300 or so for the engine??...Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
pebo va

Thanks for all the comments but I am not concerned about the heads or piston tops, I just would like to know the price range for the engine as described. So far the range is $300 to $1000. Is $1,000 about the top and $300 about the bottom??
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Alum heads on a lb block would be very unusual. All the alum heads I have seen were for earlier engines with flatop pistons. 36 lb engines had domed pistons and iron heads, there may have been some early ones with alum but I doubt it. 33-4 engines had alum heads.
Not all '36 LB engines came from the factoy with domed top pistons. I have an original '36 insert bearing engine that came out of a known original '36 1/2 Ton PU with flattop pistons. Who can really say what actually left some of those Ford assembly plants 75 years ago?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #11
Hoop

Depends on who's selling, who's buying, and where you are.

Has anyone actually sold an "LB" engine lately?

I'll gladly buy every $300 "LB" engine in running condition that I can get my hands on.

(Sold, $750, rebuildable, not running.)

I hope everyone will remember this as the "good old days" when you could buy a good running flathead for $500 ... or less.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

It's tough to give you a price range without you giving us more pertinent information about the engine, your location, if you are buying or selling, etc. I would not sell the complete LB engine that I have for any less than $1500.00 and I have no idea how this engine ran when it was removed. However, I do know this block is crack
free and there is little or no wear ridge at the top of each cylinder. Give us more facts about this engine for us to be able to give you a price range.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #13
37ford4dr

i thought i was pretty lucky with this 21 stud purchase 1.5 yrs ago for $350 and it was exactly as the guy represented it. this was my email to him recapping my understanding of the engine history......." you bought the engine from a swap meet 5yrs ago it had ford rebuilt stickers on it (validity of the stickers unknown), one of the water pumps is leaky, you used the engine to be able to move your car project around and it had limited use, it has been sitting in your heated garage for the last two years, it has cast iron heads (not aluminum) it has good oil pressure and does not burn oil. it does not have the carb or Generator, and you are asking $350 for it. you are recommending new gaskets and rings because it is old and you don't have a full history of it."
37ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote