Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2023, 03:43 PM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: Two post lift opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind View Post
I would consider adding 1/4 or 1/2 inch steel plate under the posts if I was concerned about the ability of the concrete to handle the load.
I thought about that as it would give a bigger footprint onto the concrete.

And rockfla, dangit you obviously know your stuff. With a piece of 1/2" plate under the hoist, perhaps 6" larger all around and steel braces up top, my 4" slab should be sufficient?

There IS an alternative... I was offered this 4 post lift for free here on the island. It has SUCH a great look, but dismantling, reassembly, (safety?) all come into play. Maybe if I was 10-20 years younger and broke....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 post lift.jpg (119.9 KB, 205 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 10-19-2023 at 03:52 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 04:40 PM   #22
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I thought about that as it would give a bigger footprint onto the concrete.

And rockfla, dangit you obviously know your stuff. With a piece of 1/2" plate under the hoist, perhaps 6" larger all around and steel braces up top, my 4" slab should be sufficient?

There IS an alternative... I was offered this 4 post lift for free here on the island. It has SUCH a great look, but dismantling, reassembly, (safety?) all come into play. Maybe if I was 10-20 years younger and broke....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:19 PM   #23
tubman

That thing looks "industrial". For the price, it deserves a close look. As to disassembly, etc. I picked up my lift when I was 79 and installed it in less than a week with the help of a 73 year old friend and my "Cherry Picker" (we took our time). Doing it ourselves means we are familiar with it and how it works, which can't be a bad thing.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:24 PM   #24
flatford8

I had 4” of good concrete that has rebar through out and this is how I anchored the top. That trolley beam is 11’-3” from the floor. I’m 5’-7” and have plenty of room under a full size truck. I plan to buy a four post to put in another building for storage and long term projects.......Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EDE46551-026D-4834-9A8E-AA8771D8FD40.jpg (47.5 KB, 177 views)
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:29 PM   #25
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333

I have a 9’ ceiling, live in a one story townhouse duplex, I’m not allowed any modifications beyond the drywall. I decided on a Quickjack 5000TL, it’ll work for me.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:01 PM   #26
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
I had 4” of good concrete that has rebar through out and this is how I anchored the top. That trolley beam is 11’-3” from the floor. I’m 5’-7” and have plenty of room under a full size truck. I plan to buy a four post to put in another building for storage and long term projects.......Mark

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 10-20-2023, 07:04 AM   #27
rockfla

My lift has a fairly good sized footprint that i guess is about 18" square with 6 if not 8 anchoring holes so it's quite substantial from the start. My lift also has a channel bar that runs between the post at the top with about an 1-1/2 bar/tube that runs on the underside of it (not sure what it is for). The wire for the lift locks and hose for the hydraulic cylinder all run inside the channel BUT it also supports the post from leaning inward. Think about it guys, the "majority" of the force on you lift is downward, the main function of the anchors is really lateral movement....now yes there is potentially "SOME" pull but my frame of reference is my lift and that support bar/channel on mine aids in any inward force on the tops of my posts SO its all "down force" once you get a load on it!!!! The anchors just keep it on one place "Basically"

I'll get better more detailed pictures tonight, these pictures where right after mine was installed

ALSO for you guys.... every so often I always check the tightness of the nuts on the anchors just make sure everything is snug and I haven't had ANY failure of any kind!!!! A good habit to get into AND can never be TO safe!!!

As an aside, my lift was adjustable up or down, 12' was the shortest and there were holes for mine to go up to 12'6". My joist are right at 12'6" and my installer wasn't keen on going 12'6" (NO room for error) so he suggested staying at 12', I wish I had that extra 6" as I am 6'1 and that extra 6" for me would be perfect as some vehicles height I have to hunch over slightly be cause of it!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939MercShop.jpg (73.0 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg GarageLED6.jpg (84.5 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by rockfla; 10-20-2023 at 07:17 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:23 AM   #28
glennpm

Rockfla has done a great job talking about anchor bolts.

I want to add that if an interface plate is used between the lift post anchors and the concrete, to prevent pullout of these anchors you must add anchors around the perimeter of the added plate. If you don't, and there is tipping, the bolts are going to be levered (large moment arm) by contact of the plate edge back to the anchor bolts. Anchor bolt manufacturer's installation requirements regarding edge distance and depth must be followed. My experience is from equipment and pipe supports in power plants.

Glenn
glennpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:34 AM   #29
Jacques1960

Or you could cheat, lay down some 3/4” plate steel to distribute the load, go for full penetration around each base plate and epoxy the exposed metal after treating with OSPHO
Old 10-20-2023, 07:35 AM   #30
Jacques1960

Any excuse to fire up the metal glue gun !
Old 10-20-2023, 07:35 AM   #31
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Rockfla has done a great job talking about anchor bolts.

I want to add that if an interface plate is used between the lift post anchors and the concrete, to prevent pullout of these anchors you must add anchors around the perimeter of the added plate. If you don't, and there is tipping, the bolts are going to be levered (large moment arm) by contact of the plate edge back to the anchor bolts. Anchor bolt manufacturer's installation requirements regarding edge distance and depth must be followed. My experience is from equipment and pipe supports in power plants.

Glenn
Glenn is correct that proper edge distance AND set depth is critical AS WELL AS the hole diameter. I always double check the drill bit "BEFORE" I drill the hole. The hole diameter "should" be the same as the diameter of the anchor being used for wedge anchors. The edge distance, for car lift purposes, GENERALLY is a none issue as most lifts are installed well away from the edge of a slab although a close inspection of your slab and installation spot is in order to make sure you have NO stress cracking OR mix issues from the pour. Good call Glenn!!!
Old 10-20-2023, 11:13 AM   #32
19Fordy

Rockfla: Your "What's It Worth" Dept. is priceless.
Your shop is really nice.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:15 AM   #33
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Rockfla: Your shop is really nice.

Old 10-21-2023, 07:00 PM   #34
rockfla

Here are a few more pictures of my base and support at the top of my post!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1628.jpg (60.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1629.jpg (89.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1630.jpg (52.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 10-21-2023, 08:43 PM   #35
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Here are a few more pictures of my base and support at the top of my post!!

Old 10-24-2023, 05:20 PM   #36
Bored&Stroked

One thing to note is the quality of the 2-post lift, the thickness of the steel used, etc.. For years companies like "Atlas" have copied BendPak. I have a BendPak - and the steel is considerably thicker than the "same colored" Atlas. BendPak used to paint all their lifts Blue and Yellow . . . and so did the various copies. I've noticed that BendPak has now changed their color scheme - to I believe "grey" . . . probably to set themselves apart from all the clones.

Inspect a few different lifts from different companies. You'll get an idea as to quality/price differences.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 08:39 PM   #37
sugarmaker

Good discussion on lifts. Still learning about the used lift I installed in the shop. A tool that most of us needed years ago and are now getting these for our work. They are available in a variety of shapes and sizes. Like most things in mechanics, do some research, set some goals, Check the specs, and do some shopping. I am looking forward to using this tool to save some hours crawling around on the floor under vehicles. John Kelley would have appreciated having this lift when we were working on his 42 Ford in the shop last year too.

Figured I better get this picture in there since Robert posted his car and lift.

FYI: This 12000 lb truck lift at full height extension fits nicely under the dropped ceiling fan in the 15 foot high bay of the shop. (with 2 inches to spare) . Setting on 1- 1/2 of steel shim plate on the drain side of the sloped floor. It has seven 3/4 diameter wedge anchor bolts in the base of each column. These bolts are 5-1/2 inch long on the high side and 7-1/2 long on the drain (shimmed) side. The floor is 8 inches thick under the lift area. Rest of floor is 5 inches thick.

Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-24-2023 at 09:17 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 09:51 PM   #38
GB SISSON

Chris, Is that in your new building, or off to the side in the big shop. Dang, it sure looks nice in there. You run a first rate operation there at the sugar works.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:32 PM   #39
sugarmaker

GB,
The lift is in the big shop in the high bay area. The new mini shop is already packed with tractors of various sizes. (8 in there, plus my lawn mower show equipment). It only has 10'-0" ceiling height in the new building. It definitely has freed up some space in the big shop too. (Humm maybe can think about another toy at some point!)
The 2 post lift made it a lot easier to work on a rolling stool, at just the right height, to complete the worn out tie-rod end on the F250 (FYI: weight on that truck is around 9000 lbs).

GB nice picture of a Jailbar on the back of the Early V8 times book last month!
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 06:48 AM   #40
rockfla

Another note to "new" left owners.

You "HAVE" to use "BOTH" arms to lift "anything" you cannot just use one side to lift with. Ask me how I know. I tried lifting a Milling machine (before I got my gantry crane) with just one side, not a good. Hydraulic fluid started shooting out the other side ram!!! SO lift with BOTH sides only!!!!!