Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2022, 01:31 PM   #1
V8COOPMAN

Default Uncommon V8-60 Transmissions - More From "Fred A"

Fred A is most-assuredly fired-up with V8-60 stuff lately. Again, I'm proud to help Fred post some of this hard-to-find info and pictures. Coop
__________________________________________________ _______
__________________________________________________ _______

Fred Albrecht

In 1937, the V8-60 engine was introduced to domestic service. Along with passenger cars, the tiny engine was also available in COMMERCIALS, as well as in some Trucks, most likely on orders from the top. All the full sized Model 73 three speed transmissions I've torn down (picture BELOW) came with the 14/29 gearset, otherwise they sized to be able to use the other gearsets, Like a 78 case for the 60. A four-speed crash-box was also available for the Trucks. By 1940 the little 60 became a has-been in spite of the improvements like the Chandler-Groves design, carburetors, the crankcase venting, a chank-shaft-mounted fan that doubled as a vibration dampener, and larger crankshaft bearings. The 1940 passenger car boasted a quieter shifter on the steering column. Three on the tree, if you will. Instead of modifying the little toy trans of previous years, a full sized side-shift (picture left) case was added. All '40 passenger transmissions fit the full size gearsets. Despite their appeal as a full size top-shift, the 73-7006 cases are useless without the proper 73-7515 throw-out bearing fork. At least one 'Barner was not a believer. Jambing failure. Good Luck: Fred A

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:49 AM   #2
Fred A

Default Re: Uncommon V8-60 Transmissions - More From "Fred A"

I underestimated the scarcity of the parts needed to put a V8-60 in a '40 coupe. I go to many swap meets and have seen very few parts that would make it worth trying. Checking the production numbers in Kube's book showed that the idea was just ill-advised at the least. The number is one or two and my car isn't it. I have the engine and trans but the sheetmetal and radiators were probably tossed decades ago. The top shift commercial trans does allow the use of at least five different Ford gearsets to fine tune the character of a 60 to the real world in something like an open wheel hot rod. Ass deep in hot bangers, I just have to go that way in my Model A roadster. Thanks to V8COOPMAN's forbearance and willing service. Good Luck: Fred A

Last edited by Fred A; 08-08-2022 at 01:01 AM.
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:20 AM   #3
highbeams

My father had a '60 in a 37 tudor, which - without love nor affection - he termed "The Dirty Pup." because it was flat-out suicide to TRY passing the car or two . . . ahead.

highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
Fred A

Just too much car for the little V8. Fred A
Old 08-08-2022, 02:26 PM   #5
GaryU.

Had a commercial top loader transmission for the 60 h.p. some years ago, thought it would be desirable as you could put '39 gears and top on it but I think no one knows about these. Seems to me a stripped down car with a hot 60 h.p. flatty with that transmission would make someone very happy. The top has the same pattern as the 78 prefix tops, 6 bolts not like the 60 h.p. car 4 bolt tops. Sold the granny gears to a Barner and the rest on that auction site, wish I had a use for it, had to figure out what it was after purchase!
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
Fred A

GaryU: Take a closer look at the transmission on the right, as it is the same as you describe. Ratios, not quite granny but with the original 14/29 gearset, the little 60 almost had a chance. The warning about the 73-2515 forks still applies. All the 73 transmissions that I've found have the strait up 46- (1936), single detent top and the 68 second/third fork. All the right later stuff fits the 73 case. Good Luck: Fred A

Last edited by Fred A; 08-09-2022 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:20 PM   #7
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Just too much car for the little V8. Fred A
Fred A - Yes, fer sher fer sher. Ford had their 'test track', one would think that they'd use it prior to the '60' production and sales across the country & elsewhere.(???)

Pat M. highbeams
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:20 AM   #8
Fred A

Performance expectations before the war must have been very modest. I fell for the novelty and luckily noticed the obvious. My '40 will still be a limited performer with a stock 59A engine and no overdrive. Not used to the slow lanes. Fred A

Last edited by Fred A; 08-09-2022 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:53 AM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
GaryU: Take a closer look at the transmission on the right, as it is the same as you describe. Ratios, not quite granny but with the original 14/29 gearset, the little 60 almost had a chance. The warning about the 73-2515 forks still applies. All the 73 transmissions that I've found have the strait up 46- (1936), single detent top and the 68 second/third fork. All the right later stuff fits the 73 case. Good Luck: Fred A

BELOW is one of those wimpy little 60-HP transmissions. Notice the 4-bolt top cover, as well as the odd starter bulge.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote