Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Brobrian

Red face King Pin Reamer Needed

Gentlemen,
Do any of you have the long reamer used to properly ream the bushings for the king pins? If so, would you be willing to lend it to me? I figure I could pay for shipping from here to Mars and back more cheaply than paying the $150+tax+shipping that Snyders is asking.
If not, it's okay. I can pay for the tool. I do have two A's and may use it again someday.

Just to give you fellows something to read:
I decided to try to tighten the steering on my '28 Coupe. Bought the parts to redo the kingpins after detecting an ever-so-slight bit of play. The kit came with new bushings which, without a reamer, I decided I would NOT replace. I mean, who knows how easily the old ones would come out or whether I could press the new ones in or what other can of worms I might open in the process. But this morning I was tinkering around and, well just couldn't help myself. I gave the bushings a little tap, then another and before I could stop myself they more or less just popped out Then the new ones went in well also. So here I am like a coyote with his foot in a trap. Gotta have a reamer.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: King Pin Reamer Needed

take the spindles and pins to your local machine shop and have them honed to fit...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Ulysses6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
take the spindles and pins to your local machine shop and have them honed to fit...
Should you have the axle done, at the same time ?
Ulysses6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
John Duden

i used a brake slave cylinder rebuild hone, worked pretty well just went very slowly
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
redmodelt

There are no bushings in the axle so no need. the bushing are only in the spindle.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Bob C

X2 for taking them to a machine shop and having them honed.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
Patrick L.

Yep, what Mitch said. Thats easier and cheaper.
Both bushings need to be done together.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
There are no bushings in the axle so no need. the bushing are only in the spindle.

I have a friend that is an ex-mechanic that swears his 1950 F1 has 8 king pin bushings. He insists that king pins have bushings in the spindle and the axle. And, there just ain't no convincing him otherwise.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
colin1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Duden View Post
i used a brake slave cylinder rebuild hone, worked pretty well just went very slowly
John
How did you align upper and lower bushes
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Pinstripe

The time it takes to have it honed at a machine shop will be well worth it.
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
Brobrian

Okay, thanks, Guys.
Just trying to borrow a tool. I like to do things myself, if possible. There's plenty out there I can't do. Went down to the Harley shop and was able to learn to use a hone to do the job. Left side turned out brilliant. Tomorrow, I'll tackle the other.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobrian View Post
Okay, thanks, Guys.
Just trying to borrow a tool. I like to do things myself, if possible. There's plenty out there I can't do. Went down to the Harley shop and was able to learn to use a hone to do the job. Left side turned out brilliant. Tomorrow, I'll tackle the other.
I commend you for attempting to do those things that you are capable of. Some things should be done by experts but many common tasks can easily be performed in our own garages with assistance from others. After all that is one of the prime reasons we bought a Model A, to enjoy it before, during and after the ride. Keep up the good work Bro !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
jimvette59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I have a friend that is an ex-mechanic that swears his 1950 F1 has 8 king pin bushings. He insists that king pins have bushings in the spindle and the axle. And, there just ain't no convincing him otherwise.
Patric L if there are bushings in the axle then it was repaired at one time. I've done a few in the past but made steel bushings to fit the king pin.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
Charles Reese

admire your 'can do' spirit .. for me half the fun of the journey ... and god knows plenty of folks have "paid it forward" to me!

happy to loan my original reamer. how time sensitive is it? VA to CA would take some time and xmas shipping could be a nightmare. wanna wait till new year so they can loose it at their normal pace?

Last edited by Charles Reese; 12-20-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
Patric L if there are bushings in the axle then it was repaired at one time. I've done a few in the past but made steel bushings to fit the king pin.

He is convinced this is how Henry built them. No convincing him otherwise.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #16
Bob C

This video shows how it is done the right way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-LlAAwnFcA

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hone.jpg (32.1 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by Bob C; 12-20-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
tbirdtbird
BANNED

There was a very interesting article in the Restorer many many yrs ago. The writer had somehow stumbled onto the machinist who had machined up the first Model A prototype rear end for Henry to use as a springboard for production. Henry recognized the superb skills the guy had and gave him a roadster off the line fairly early on. The guy was very moved by this and never drove the car. The writer wanted to do kingpin bushings and wanted to borrow a long reamer for this. The guy said he didn't have one. He told him to just remove one bushing from the spindle. The upper wears more than the lower, so he said remove the upper. Press in the new bushing. Ream with a regular reamer, the lower bushing acting as a guide. Then go ahead with the other bushing. While this method may not be 1000% accurate, it has always worked for me, surprisingly well.

I have long since misplaced this article, but those of you with an extensive library of Restorer magazines will be able to find it. It would go back approx 25-35 yrs ago. The entire story made for a very good read. Maybe one of you will be able to locate it and post the issue.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post
admire your 'can do' spirit .. for me half the fun of the journey ... and god knows plenty of folks have "paid it forward" to me!

happy to loan my original reamer. how time sensitive is it? VA to CA would take some time and xmas shipping could be a nightmare. wanna wait till new year so they can loose it at their normal pace?
Charles, that is indeed a very kind gesture on your part and you should be commended for it. Obviously not a first for you !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #19
Brobrian

Red face Re: King Pin Reamer Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post

You know, Charles, there is NO time sensitivity on this one. Send it when you wish. I'm currently driving my "31 pickup to work while I have the coupe front end apart. How cool will it be to borrow a tool from the other side of the country! I'll PM you with my address and when I return your tool, I'll include the cash for postage both ways. How's that?
Look for my PM.

Blessings,
Brian
Old 12-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #20
Richard Lorenz

Some years ago the reamers sold for this job were too large. It was only about 0.002 inches too large, but that is too much. That is why so many are recommending honing.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote