Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2024, 10:33 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Best chemicals/solutions/goops to clean off gear oil, etc. on a chassis

My AV8 has been on the road for just under 2 years now. This weekend, I was going over it, doing some odds & ends. I noticed some gear oil has accumulated under the trans and on top of the K member.

I'm looking for some paint friendly chemicals/solutions/goops that others have used to clean up heavy oils/grease such as gear oil, etc on a chassis.

Thanks,
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 10:55 AM   #2
Fritz

Default Re: Best chemicals/solutions/goops to clean off gear oil, etc. on a chassis

I’ve heard good things about dry ice if you can find someone near you does it. Cleans well, but doesn’t damage paint, gaskets, etc.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 11:47 AM   #3
wga

Default Re: Best chemicals/solutions/goops to clean off gear oil, etc. on a chassis

Try using "mineral spirits", available in quarts and gallon containers. Use a parts cleaning brush, putty knife, coarse steel wool, etc., It will take several attempts to clean.
Brake cleaner? Use it to spray into the hard to reach areas.
Well ventilated area, protect your eyes, hands,
Have fun!
Old 01-22-2024, 12:17 PM   #4
Fred A

Default Brain Killers!

Cleaning greasy/dirty deposits are the universal job of old car owners yet we tend to blow off concerns of some of the most dangerous products, popular to the process. If it isn't highly flammable, it's collectively toxic. Lately, I've been using iso-alcohol. It's not for heavy duty cleaning. With effective pre cleaning, alcohol can be great for the final pass, while not melting nitrile gloves, or removing many finishes. These are not mindless processes. Like most things in the real world, we need to know the chemical nature of the solvent and the substrate. We need to be smart, or pay the price. Another point is that the cheap alcohol is half water. Worse yet alcohol sucks water out of the air, so don't lose the lid. 91% iso is the right stuff. Good luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 01:55 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

I use wax and grease remover available at automotive paint stores. It is actually a weak reducer that doesn't harm paint.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:01 PM   #6
Brian

steam clean. Whatever method you use, plan on getting a bit grubby....
Old 01-22-2024, 02:31 PM   #7
mcgarrett

Easy Off oven cleaner works well for this type of cleaning. It contains sodium hydroxide (lye) and will usually cut through any caked-on grease and grime. I would recommend using it outdoors and it works best if the metal is warm. Hose it off when done.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:32 PM   #8
marko39

Oven cleaner-spray it on and hose it off.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:45 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Curious, oven cleaner is safe on painted surfaces?
Old 01-22-2024, 02:46 PM   #10
Seth Swoboda

When I have an engine out and want to degrease, I do as Brain says. I fire up the hot water/steam washer and use some Simple Green. Cleans well. I do realize that you can't use this method all the time.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 04:59 PM   #11
mcgarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Curious, oven cleaner is safe on painted surfaces?
Tim,
Best to avoid getting oven cleaner on or near painted surfaces.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 07:33 PM   #12
paul2748

For greasy/oily stuff I use the purple cleaner Super Clean. Another is Simple Green which is supposed to be a good cleaner.

Seems that a lot of people didn't read your "paint friendly" part on what they suggested. Brake cleaner, mineral spirits are not friendly to paint as far as I know.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 07:47 PM   #13
TJ

They use Dawn soap to clean up birds caught in an oil spill, so it should work on an oily chassis.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:00 PM   #14
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
They use Dawn soap to clean up birds caught in an oil spill, so it should work on an oily chassis.
This is an old Corvette detailing trick (and you know how anal those guys are).

In addition, it works.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:14 PM   #15
Clem Clement

On my \old '39 peecup, I used to pop-a smokin wheelie and blast right away from under the goo...not that it ever got greaseeey.com
Clelm
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 10:32 PM   #16
51woodie

To the best of my knowledge, dry ice will remove paint. I have seen electrical switch gear and large greasy mechanical components cleaned by blasting with crushed walnut shell, with no damage to the components or paint.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 12:05 PM   #17
Shoebox

I second the use of Super Clean and Simple Green. Both work great and are safe.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 03:16 PM   #18
flatford8

I’m a fan of Simple Green. I think it works well and is supposed to be enviro friendly. A bucket of Dawn and a decent scrub brush would do the trick too. And ya, you’re gonna get dirty…..save some of the solution in the bucket for your self…….Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 03:36 PM   #19
tubman

Going through this thread again, I see that the vehicle has only been on the road for two years. Being a "Hot Rod" (AV8), it had to be clean to start with and not exposed to much if anything in the way of adverse conditions. I would think that would mean the gentlest of methods; no solvents, soaps/detergents only (Simple Green, Dawn). I'm sure another of your tasks is to find and stop any leaks that you may detect.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 03:37 PM   #20
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Going through this thread again, I see that the vehicle has only been on the road for two years. Being a "Hot Rod" (AV8), it had to be clean to start with and not exposed to much if anything in the way of adverse conditions. I would think that would mean the gentlest of methods; no solvents, soaps/detergents only (Simple Green, Dawn). I'm sure another of your tasks is to find and stop any leaks that may be present.
Hi Tubman:

Yes. I'd like to clean it to help determine where so one the leaks is coming from. I have a pretty good idea.