Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
waterboychuck

Default 46-48 wing window removal

My window frames are removed from the body and I have no glass in the wing windows. I would like to remove them so that I can take them to the glass shop to have them install new ones but I cannot figure out how this is done. Can I rip out the old rubber, or is there no replacement for them?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: 46-48 wing window removal

To remove the vent window frame you have to grind off the rivet in the top pivot hinge then pull the frame up to get the post out of the bottom. But, no need to remove the frame to replace the glass. You can make a pattern for the glass as follows for the glass to be cut then install it without removing the frames: Take a piece of cardboard and trim it close to the shape of the vent windows then hold it against a frame and trace the shape and cut it out. Then insert the cut out piece into the frame from the rear and mark where to cut off the back edge. That will make a pattern for the glass to be cut. Then, when you have the cut glass, just put some silicone sealant/adhesive around the front and bottom edge and push it into place.

But, beware. I have had poor experience with local glass shops cutting glass for my windows. I think the method they use to cut and break off the curved edges leaves unseen cracks in the edge that soon grow across the glass. Had that happen too many times until I finally bought my glass from Sanders Reproduction Glass (here is their page to order for your car: https://www.sandersreproglass.com/orderonline.php) It was about the same price and I have never had theirs spontaneously crack like those cut by the locals. Sanders can even etch the date "bugs" on the glass for you if you want.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-21-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
Drbrown

2X Old Henry regarding sandersreproglass. If you want the "bugs" check your old glass for style. My '47 has the one in the center of the cluster in the group shown in Old Henry's post. Left number inside the oval notes the month and number on right side the year. My front vents have none but might be replacements. Rear window with slight curvature has a simple "Herculite" label since they made curved panels for Ford. Driver's two panels are special laminated tempered units and may have "LOF" "Pittsburgh" or different factory markings.

Last edited by Drbrown; 03-21-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
Ralph Moore

So, can you pull out the old glass with the wing in place?
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #5
47Merc

Yes, Cut into the existing rubber as deep as you can on both sides of the vent glass with a Stanley knife and then pull/lever the old glass out of the frame.

When you install the new glass you can buy Glass Setting Tape which is a soft black rubber type tape about an inch wide x 1/16 inch thick. Wet the tape down with Kerosene and wet inside the frame with the Kero, wrap the tape around the edge of the glass and it will slide right into the frame.

When it dries, which only takes a few minutes, trim the excess tape off around the frame.
The`glass will be well and truly stuck in place.
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
waterboychuck

Thanks for the info. I would like to replace the rubber around these windows so wouldn't I need to remove the window frame to do that?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Ralph Moore

Thanks, on the 47 I'm working on, the wing glass is delaminating. It will be nice to replace it without a lot of hassle.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Please do yourself a favor and DON'T do as one of the less-experienced posters suggests: "...... just put some silicone sealant/adhesive around the front and bottom edge and push it into place". 47Merc has an acceptable and appropriate procedure outlined in post #5 above. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Please do yourself a favor and DON'T do as one of the less-experienced posters suggests: "...... just put some silicone sealant/adhesive around the front and bottom edge and push it into place". 47Merc has an acceptable and appropriate procedure outlined in post #5 above. DD
You are correct sir!
You never want to use silicone around the "new" glass as it will quickly delaminate it. There are special silicone based products that may be used but typically too expensive for the average backyard mechanic.
A properly installed piece of glass will not need any sealant beyond the glass setting tape.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboychuck View Post
Thanks for the info. I would like to replace the rubber around these windows so wouldn't I need to remove the window frame to do that?
Yes.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
waterboychuck

So, now my question is has anyone taken out the wing window to replace both the glass and the rubber? If so what did you do to replace the rivet? I have to assume that installing the rubber is straight forward as I've done it on my 48 F1. Any other tips or tricks?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
oldford2

You can search and find the proper rivet. I just put a short bolt and nut until I get the right rivet. The rubber is a little tricky to install. I think I got them from Drake and once installed they are perfect. The old rubber gets hard over 65 years.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #13
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboychuck View Post
So, now my question is has anyone taken out the wing window to replace both the glass and the rubber? If so what did you do to replace the rivet? I have to assume that installing the rubber is straight forward as I've done it on my 48 F1. Any other tips or tricks?

As I've said, I didn't remove the vent window frame to replace the glass. I had to remove it to replace the vent window seal. That seal kit came with the rivet. Here: http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_me...nvertible.html
Old 03-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #14
Graeme / New Zealand

I found the best way to install the rubber is to spray a little CRC or WD40 on the edge to go into the groove, set one side in the channel in the window frame and slowly work your way around pushing it in with a blunt screwdriver. Just take it easy and don't scratch the frame and don't stretch the rubber. Positioning the rubber groove over the top pivot for the vent will give you some idea of the initial positioning.

Places like C&G Ford have the setting tape.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #15
waterboychuck

Henry, today I drilled out the rivet so that I could remove the wing window and that went well, but when I attempted to remove the rubber I found that in two places there was another rivet that held down the rubber. When you, or anyone else, purchased the rubber replacement where there three rivet replacements?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #16
Old Henry

Are you talking about the rubber that holds the glass in the frame or the rubber seal that goes around the frame to seal it to the window frame when the vent window is shut?
Old 03-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #17
waterboychuck

The rubber that holds the frame.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #18
Old Henry

Yes. There is a rivet on each end of the seal that comes with the kit from Mac's.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-24-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 PM   #19
Graeme / New Zealand

My car came as a part restored project and with some gnarly Sth American made rubber seals. I ditched them and got either Drake or Carpenter produced ones ( can't remember). Better quality, better fit and no molding flash on the edges. They came with the rivets too.

GB

Old 01-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #20
Darrell S

I found this older thread as this is what I'm working on at the present time. Looking for help replacing the rubber vent window seal. It seems that the complete vent window, frame and all has to be removed from the garnish molding. I noticed that this was done before and the rubber was cut to go around the top hinge, however the rubber at the bottom pivot point was not cut. I removed the rivets holding the top hinge so I could remove the whole vent assembly. Is this correct? I'm having quite a time putting the vent frame back in with the new rubber. I don't like the way the new rubber fits (Vintique, from a trusted supplier. I should have asked) Now I wonder if I should reorder from Drake as he says his are molded and fit well. Anyone have prior experience here?
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #21
Graeme / New Zealand

Darrell I've found Drake or Carpenter to be best for rubber stuff the only complaint i have with the ones I got and i can't remember if it was Drake or Dennis Carpenter is that the rubber on the leading edge on the inside of garnish appears to be a little thin could be a bit "meatier". That said the rubber is good quality. I've become an expert at removing the vent windows as I was plagued for a while with the main door window dropping out of its rear side runner ..to fix I had to remove the vent window and loosen off the divider bar at the top so I could realign the main window. I did not bother installing the rivets at either end of the rubber also. When removing the vent window and replacing it it is easier to pull the rubber and vent window and garnish out as one unit. I found when removing the vent window it was best to open it up so it is at a right angle to the door then lift off the garnish by tilting it inwards. You will have to remove the rivet at the top of the vent window frame in order to get the window off to install the new rubber. Install the rubber in the frame but dont put the rivets in the end of the rubber. Put the vent window back in and re rivet it or use a small round headed bolt. Then put the garnish , vent window and its rubber in as one unit. Get it so most of the rubber is through to the outside and gently ease the rest of the rubber out with a small screwdriver. Then align the ends of the vent rubber with the divider bar for the door window and push it down into its channel..again I used a screwdriver, a stubby flat headed one that you have good control over so as not the slip and scratch your paintwork. In my opinion I would steer of any Vintique products where possible. Don't use them for rubber moldings, go Drake or Carpenter for those.

Hope this helps

GB

Last edited by Graeme / New Zealand; 01-08-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #22
19Fordy

Waterboychuck:
Just a suggestion: Take step-by-step photos of the procedure you use
so that it can be posted for other fordbarners to learn from in the future.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote