Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #21
Graeme / New Zealand

Default Re: 46-48 wing window removal

Darrell I've found Drake or Carpenter to be best for rubber stuff the only complaint i have with the ones I got and i can't remember if it was Drake or Dennis Carpenter is that the rubber on the leading edge on the inside of garnish appears to be a little thin could be a bit "meatier". That said the rubber is good quality. I've become an expert at removing the vent windows as I was plagued for a while with the main door window dropping out of its rear side runner ..to fix I had to remove the vent window and loosen off the divider bar at the top so I could realign the main window. I did not bother installing the rivets at either end of the rubber also. When removing the vent window and replacing it it is easier to pull the rubber and vent window and garnish out as one unit. I found when removing the vent window it was best to open it up so it is at a right angle to the door then lift off the garnish by tilting it inwards. You will have to remove the rivet at the top of the vent window frame in order to get the window off to install the new rubber. Install the rubber in the frame but dont put the rivets in the end of the rubber. Put the vent window back in and re rivet it or use a small round headed bolt. Then put the garnish , vent window and its rubber in as one unit. Get it so most of the rubber is through to the outside and gently ease the rest of the rubber out with a small screwdriver. Then align the ends of the vent rubber with the divider bar for the door window and push it down into its channel..again I used a screwdriver, a stubby flat headed one that you have good control over so as not the slip and scratch your paintwork. In my opinion I would steer of any Vintique products where possible. Don't use them for rubber moldings, go Drake or Carpenter for those.

Hope this helps

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"

Last edited by Graeme / New Zealand; 01-08-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #22
19Fordy

Default Re: 46-48 wing window removal

Waterboychuck:
Just a suggestion: Take step-by-step photos of the procedure you use
so that it can be posted for other fordbarners to learn from in the future.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)