Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #21
RKS.PA

Default Re: Bob Drake Gas Tank...Sigh

You know, guys, I really don't get it. Bob Drake presumably spends $$$ to advertise and support our Ford Barn. Then the lack of quality control....does cost any more to make the tank to original specs?.....puts a big load of poop in his nest!! Only two words for this....sloppy work.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #22
SofaKing

[the so-called customer service rep tells me that's not true, and the tanks fit 85-95% of the cars out there.

There's a marketing statistic that I didn't see in the advertising!

I did the same thing George/Maine describes and it worked to get it in. That's when I discovered the holes were mis-located but there's no getting it out so I hogged out the holes in the frame a little and now I am just waiting to put gas in it. I didn't mention that the filler neck didn't clear the hole in my PU bed so I had to clearance that too. Also, check your sending unit before you install it. The Drake tank won't accept a stock sending unit without enlarging the hole in the tank top.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #23
rheltzel

Quality costs less. Quality = positive customer experience = positive reputation = more sales.

The opposite is also true.

Drake apparently doesn't understand the power of this website or he would weigh in on this thread and explain why his gas tanks don't fit. Too bad. He's the loser.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:38 PM   #24
countrysquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
[the so-called customer service rep tells me that's not true, and the tanks fit 85-95% of the cars out there.

There's a marketing statistic that I didn't see in the advertising!

I did the same thing George/Maine describes and it worked to get it in. That's when I discovered the holes were mis-located but there's no getting it out so I hogged out the holes in the frame a little and now I am just waiting to put gas in it. I didn't mention that the filler neck didn't clear the hole in my PU bed so I had to clearance that too. Also, check your sending unit before you install it. The Drake tank won't accept a stock sending unit without enlarging the hole in the tank top.
But other than that, it's exactly like the original!
countrysquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #25
ford38v8

What Drake and all the other suppliers know is that some repo quality has never been up to snuff, and that we have always had to tweak a large percentage of parts, and that does include NOS parts, as those that are still out there are in many cases rejects from the assembly lines, packed off to Ford Dealers parts shelves back in the day. Seen in that light, we have to be thankful that any parts are available, whether repo or NOS.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:13 PM   #26
rheltzel

We do?

I've never encountered a genuine NOS Ford part that wasn't top quality.

We are lucky that parts are still available for our V8's, but that doesn't mean we should accept substandard quality.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #27
47Merc

I removed and replace the original tank in my 40 coupe recently so I could clean it and line the inside with POR15.

It was a struggle to get it out and I had to use two tire levers and a lot of harsh words to get it back in. It was certainly no "Slip it into place" job

This was with the car on a hoist and I think it would have been near impossible if it was just on jack stands so even the originals are a tough job.
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #28
countrysquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
What Drake and all the other suppliers know is that some repo quality has never been up to snuff, and that we have always had to tweak a large percentage of parts, and that does include NOS parts, as those that are still out there are in many cases rejects from the assembly lines, packed off to Ford Dealers parts shelves back in the day. Seen in that light, we have to be thankful that any parts are available, whether repo or NOS.
Well, all that might be so. I've bought many a Model A part from Walt Bratton over the years and have never had a surprise. He will tell you right there in the catalog description if the part is 'right' or if it is the best available, but will need work to make it fit. That's really all of us old car guys are asking for. I think most of us accept that not all parts for these old cars are perfect, but just be honest about it up front. It ain't hard to do and creates loyal customers.

Does this sound like a part that needs to be cut and beaten into shape?

"Our tanks are precision die-formed using special high-grade steel. Each is made to exact factory specifications for years of everyday use with no leaks or contaminates from corrosion. We take extra pride in assuring all Drake Gas Tanks are top quality by carefully pressure testing every tank we sell, one at a time."
Old 07-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #29
skidmarks

"Our tanks are precision die-formed using special high-grade steel. Each is made to exact factory specifications for years of everyday use with no leaks or contaminates from corrosion. We take extra pride in assuring all Drake Gas Tanks are top quality by carefully pressure testing every tank we sell, one at a time."

poetic license
n.
The liberty taken by an artist or a writer in deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #30
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrysquire View Post
... I think most of us accept that not all parts for these old cars are perfect, but just be honest about it up front. It ain't hard to do and creates loyal customers...."
I'll take the liberty to quote myself from another thread:

"Ya gotta read the exact wording of an ad 'cause even a born liar will choose his words carefully. I learned that fact from listening to politicians."
Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 AM   #31
George/Maine

When the problem was found the fix was lift the body and install tank.
When the setup was made to stamp the bottom it was 1/2 to close to fill side.
Just because I hammered mine you don't have to do that.
Take your lose and buy another.
George
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #32
countrysquire

Just wanted to post a follow-up. After weighing my options, it made the most sense to use the Drake tank. There's about 1/4" of extra steel (which is the problem) on the outside of the cage nuts, so simply spending a few minutes cutting off the extra material allows it to slip right into place. Once in place, it fits just fine and the holes line up perfectly. No hammer work was required. Also, Dupli-Color silver engine paint matches the tank very well, which is needed to repaint the bare metal where the cuts are made.

So, after my initial frustration, I'm satisfied with the tank and would buy another one if I needed it for another car.

BUT, why can't Drake simply tell buyers "The flanges of these tanks are a little wider than the original tanks and may require trimming if installing from the bottom of the car"? The price is much better than the competition and most of us who own old cars have the ability to make these types of modifications, so it wouldn't slow most of us down from ordering one and we'd know exactly what to expect when it came time to install it. Hopefully this will be information that future purchasers can use.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #33
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrysquire View Post
So, Drake will take the tank back and refund my money, but only for the tank. They charged me $45 to ship it to me, and I'm guessing it will cost me the same to ship it back. So $90 to learn that Drake sells a product that will not fit without beating the hell out of it with a hammer. When told that I learned it was well known that these tanks wont go in from the bottom, the so-called customer service rep tells me that's not true, and the tanks fit 85-95% of the cars out there.

I have a '41 wagon that I will be restoring soon and will need plenty of parts. Guess who will not get another penny of my money...
You may think that Drake will not get anymore of your money, but he supplies almost all the other vendors. One way or the other he will get your money. Reproduction parts are just that, reproduction parts. The world is not perfect and neither are reproduction parts, but we are lucky to have what is supplied. I would hate to go back to the old days when all we had was junk parts from Argentina. I'll take what we have now any day over that junk. Even the parts from our modern cars are reproduction and all come from China.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #34
russcc

never drake
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #35
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTruck View Post
I bought some turn signal lights from Drake. They came with 12 volt bulbs. I could no t find 6 volt bulbs locally to fit and a call to Drakes said they did not sell them. They charged a 20% restocking charge even though they would not fit what they sold them for.
If you looked at all the ads in Drakes catalog they are very specific that all the kits are 12 volt. Nowhere in the catalog do they say they sell 6 volt bulbs. Not sure why you are blaming Drake for this problem. You could have called and asked if they had a 6 volt kit before you ordered.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #36
countrysquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
You may think that Drake will not get anymore of your money, but he supplies almost all the other vendors. One way or the other he will get your money. Reproduction parts are just that, reproduction parts. The world is not perfect and neither are reproduction parts, but we are lucky to have what is supplied. I would hate to go back to the old days when all we had was junk parts from Argentina. I'll take what we have now any day over that junk. Even the parts from our modern cars are reproduction and all come from China.
I agree, my point is that they just need to tell us up front that a little 'massaging' might be needed. I do remember being a teenager in the late '70s - early 80's while restoring my first Model A. My choice was between driving 30 miles to Houston to visit Specialized Auto Parts or order from Ricks and get it through the mail. Being a kid attempting my first bit of restoration work, I assumed that the new parts had to be perfect and the issue was an old worn out car. Little did I know...
Old 07-30-2015, 06:44 AM   #37
dwick01

I like Bob Drake parts and am thankful for them. If a person wants to whine, cry and/or write open letters, it's their right. But, why put yourself in misery. Get your perfect stuff with much higher prices somewhere else. It's a free world. Better yet, have some crackers with your whine.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #38
FL&WVMIKE

This is a Ford Restorer's Forum.
If someone orders a new part and it is not up to snuff and doesn't fit, without reworking it, the purchaser should be able to write about it here and not be accused of whining !
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #39
deuce_roadster

Just for reference, I have 3 40 passenger cars. I have removed the gas tanks from all 3 and it was a hell of a lot of work getting them out from the bottom using prying tools etc. None of the cars has any frame damage. I bought a Drake tank years ago before I bought 2 NOS tanks. NONE of them would go in from the bottom without extreme pressure from the side. I am sure on the assembly line they were dropped in from the top. As mentioned by another, there is metal outside of the welded seam where the top mates with the bottom. I finally trimmed about 1/8" off each side of an NOS tank, carefully painted the raw edge to prevent rust, and installed it in my wagon. Also, I noticed that the ORIGINAL tank had the left rear corner of the flange bent to clear the inside corner of the frame.
Fitment issues exist even with Ford manufactured tanks. I agree that any remake should have been designed so it would easily install.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #40
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Alan, with all due respect I feel the point of this thread is: The parts supplied are all too often NOT what is advertised. And, on top of that, the "we've never had that problem.." BS is getting old.