Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
DBSHELTON

Default Special Corona Projects

Anyone doing any special projects since we are home/garage bound? I intended on waiting until next winter but I decided to dig out the B Model Carb and B Model Distributor that I bought a while back. I think I have all the parts I need to refresh both.
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Special Corona Projects

So far, I've serviced one of the modern cars - one to go. I've refreshed the landscaping at the front of the house and now I'm painting inside. Why do we need such a big house??. Next is to replace the 3.54 rear end gears in the diff of my Tudor with 3.78.
Before all this started, I was trying to sell my 1928 Delage (French, top line car) but now that this ug has us all unable to go out, I've given up on that for who knows how long. I want to get that big car out of my workshop and put a Model A in its place. For that, I'll have to make room in one of the other garages. I hope I can get it all done before this lifts but I'm eating away at things on the "gunnawunday" list.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #3
Gary WA

finishing up Diamond block motor I've had on the stand for a few years-oil pan-Brumfield head left ready for a back up motor!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor.jpg (61.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg cars.jpg (66.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-11-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
Sunnybrook Farm

I am building a Model A from old parts that I have on hand from other restorations and stuff from craigslist. I have traded some things with a hot rod guy as he has stuff he doesn't want and I have things that won't work on my cars. Mainly over the last month I have been going through a 28 motor and have learned a lot even though I have worked on model A's starting in the early 70s. It is a fun project as I am building it to use off road so no judging standards though I keep what is right in mind and do it when possible. So far the strange parts I am using are a 26-27 cowl and what looks like a 1919 Chevy windshield frame but I don't have those model A parts.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
Synchro909

Talking Re: Special Corona Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrook Farm View Post
I am building a Model A from old parts that I have on hand from other restorations and stuff from craigslist. I have traded some things with a hot rod guy as he has stuff he doesn't want and I have things that won't work on my cars. Mainly over the last month I have been going through a 28 motor and have learned a lot even though I have worked on model A's starting in the early 70s. It is a fun project as I am building it to use off road so no judging standards though I keep what is right in mind and do it when possible. So far the strange parts I am using are a 26-27 cowl and what looks like a 1919 Chevy windshield frame but I don't have those model A parts.
It was only about 12 months ago that I finished building up a Ute from bits and pieces I had laying around. I traded a few things for what I didn't have and it wasn't long before I had all I needed. Maybe it's because I built it that it is my favourite A or maybe it's because of the smiles and thumbs up I get.
A funny story: On its first outing, we met a a fuel station to be sure we were topped up before heading off sealed roads for a day's drive. As I was putting the cap back on the tank, a motorist (modern) who had already pulled up and shouted "What year is it?". I gave him what I thought was the correct answer. "2020", I replied.
Funny thing is, the car only became a car in 2020 so it could, at a stretch, be called a 2020 model.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:56 AM   #6
GerryAllen

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Serviced my car, put on new modern shocks on front, rear to go. New battery, new tires to go, waiting for tubes. All this and our yard is the best its ever been
Gerry Allen Birch Bay WA.
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #7
burner31

Head gasket, install adjustable lifters, oil pump re-do, new cam, lap valves, new exhaust manifold, new valve guides
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Finished installing the Murray Horn harmonic balancer. patiently waiting for my Mitchell O/D.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #9
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Corona bench,complete with special virus elixir
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #10
chrs1961815

Working on rewiring some antique lamps with cloth wire - will look great in our 112 year old house.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #11
Joop

Decided that when we take the car out to Thank the people who are on the front-line of this fight. I know there are many more but only room for these.

Take care everyone and stay safe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1873.jpg (52.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1892.jpg (60.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1898.jpg (78.5 KB, 48 views)
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #12
pjdeb

Put in a new front spring on 1930 CCPU. U bolts, shackles, etc. Greased, fluids, painted exhaust manifold with HT paint, timed, cleaned plugs, removed rear fender to have body shop remove dent that has been bothering me for a year. Back flushed.

Greased front wheel bearings.

Installed signal lights.

Sanded, refinished, any poly the truck bed rails.

Washed, waxed, polished......washed, waxed, polished........

Have gone 100 miles a couple of times ......to get milk of course...
pjdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #13
mhsprecher

Mostly house stuff - Stripped and refinished an interior door, replaced sash weight cords in a couple of windows, painted the front steps and front and rear storm doors. Replacing some beadboard in a porch overhang.

I have done some carb work on my Model A. I will get back to that. I am hoping to start on some wood replacement on my Model T, too, but house projects are keeping me busy and I have a list as long as my arm AND leg!
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #14
DBSHELTON

I guess I will add everything to my list of stuff done to my 29 Tudor in the last couple of weeks of staying home: Added turn signals, all new tires, replaced the main spring leaf on the rear, new rear shackles, rebuilt right rear shock, new front bumper clamps, of course greased everything, changed the oil, and adjusted the brakes.
Oh, and now it won't start!
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #15
Gerryde

Yes spending lots of time in the garage working on my 28 model A roadster pick up,eg rear mudgaurds
Gerryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #16
holdover

Did a couple of Carbs with the grand kids then tested them, worked on the 8 yr old grand kids farm driving 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now working on our track and autocross 1984 Mazda RX7. Has a Ford 302/ 5 speed with '95 Corvette front and rear end. Doing some things over, just replaced the brake booster and master cylinder, some new engine brackets for the S10 power steering pump, water over flow catch can, taking the complete interior out so we can do a 10 point roll cage with racing seats and 5 point harness. need to radius the wheel wells a bit to fit the racing tires better, then a repaint. On cold days we move to the basement where we are redoing the O gauge train setup. need to prime my new 1931 AA hood that I just got from Snyders and finish the body work on the AA SWB DRW. Many more projects after this, the list goes on Be Safe
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #17
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
It was only about 12 months ago that I finished building up a Ute from bits and pieces I had laying around. I traded a few things for what I didn't have and it wasn't long before I had all I needed. Maybe it's because I built it that it is my favourite A or maybe it's because of the smiles and thumbs up I get.
A funny story: On its first outing, we met a a fuel station to be sure we were topped up before heading off sealed roads for a day's drive. As I was putting the cap back on the tank, a motorist (modern) who had already pulled up and shouted "What year is it?". I gave him what I thought was the correct answer. "2020", I replied.
Funny thing is, the car only became a car in 2020 so it could, at a stretch, be called a 2020 model.
How about some photos? I have been thinking of doing the same since I saw one in Florida last year.
Thanks!
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote