Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
juke joint johnny

Default Foreign Model A Question

Some Countries required a Frame or Vin number on the Firewall of Model A's and other cars of the Era . Do any of our Foreign Barners know which ones ? I know France did , But what are the others ?

I ask because a friend has recently bought an early 29 Tudor sedan . It has been in England for many years but is Left hand drive so is not English.I think it might be from Holland or Germany, It has been passed around an uninterested family for the past 40 or so years . The original owner died many years ago some parts have been lost as well as the paperwork, We would like to know what country it was made in.
It has a Ford patent plate with the Frame number on it on the firewall. Unfortunately the plate is distressed and just about unreadable so the country of origin is not showing, although the frame number is clear.

Thanks in advance for any help

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Joop

Default Re: Foreign Model A Question

Can you post a picture of the tag.
In Holland they placed them on the firewall or doorpost

Joop
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Arlen

The German A I've looked at had "made in Germany" (in German) stamped on the frame by the frame number. You might look there. I could be wrong but I think AF part numbers stamped on all the parts designates the car being built in England.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
Tudortomnz

It would be interesting to see some pics of ths car. Offhand, most Euro countries required some local content upon finishing, eg. wiring, lighting etc which may give some clues . There appear to be a lot of LHD early Fords in England & determining their origin would be difficult without paperwork. I would work on the existing data plate as these are unique to European sold Model A's. Sometimes a 'rubbing' with pencil & tissue or light paper will highlight details. I would be searching under the rear seat or in inner panels for any labels or old receipts ; never know what you may find.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Hotrodfil

I have an AF Fordor although it now has a 24HP engine in it. There's no additional tag anywhere so until I lift the body I can't confirm the frame number.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
Brad in Germany

German made Model A's had a small stamped metal plate on the drivers side of the firewall in the engine compartment with the name of the assembly plant (Berlin) or the factory (Koln) and VIN number.

The back of the Ford logo radiator shell badge has stamped in it where it was made (usually indicating the city if you are able to read it).

Original German radiators have the name of the supplier stamped on a plate at the top inside of the upper tank.

Does the car have trafficators or Ford fender (wing) lamps....or any indication that they were there at one point? Are there holes drilled in the center of the dash rail where the trafficator switch was mounted (or maybe the switch is still there)?

Is there a data plate screwed to the upper floorboard on the front passenger side under the carpet (typical Danish)?

etc....

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
juke joint johnny

Thank You for all your input !!!! I have been away all weekend so could not respond before;
The car does have holes drilled on the A posts for trafficators [semaphore type direction indicators ]
but there are no fender lights. nor any of the made in Germany stampings that Brad mentions.

AF on a Model A refers to any part that it foriegn to the USA design
Thus all Right Hand Drive parts and the smallbore engine parts are designated AF

This car in question is L H Drive and has the original 40 hp engine so no AF parts.

I will have another look around it to see if I can find any other numbers or letters in the places suggested
Many Thanks
John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote