Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
ktgarcia

Question 1939 New Truck Bed

I have looked through numerous catalogs about truck beds and it seems like there are two sources. One in Michigan and one in Missouri. Is there any advantage to going through a third party to get truck bed parts? It would seem like dealing directly with the manufacturer would be the better way to go. I would appreciate anyone that has purchased a bed to post their experience with bolting one up. Thanks
ktgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Dave72dt

Default Re: 1939 New Truck Bed

Dealing directly with the manufacturer is always best if you can. They may price protect their distributors if they do retail sales themselves but the fewer times it passes through someone's business, the better.
Dave72dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
39portlander

KT, this fall I hope to have enough aside to get and set a bed on my 39. Would like to know how you make out.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Cecil/WV

I bought mine from Northern classic trucks and picked it up in Michigan and it is first rate.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Bishop Welding

I bought mine directly from Northern Classic and had it shipped to CA, unassembled.
The way I understand it, Northern and one other company manufacture all of the reproduction beds sold under various names. I was extremely happy with Northern all the way around and their customer service was outstanding.

Bishop Welding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
38 coupe

The other company is Mack-Hils: http://www.mackhils.com/products/
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
V12Bill

Years ago I purchased a bed from Mack's (Hils) for a 1955 PU. It came knocked down and was not any problem to assemble. I now have a 1939 PU that I purchased "restored" and the yahoos that assembled it probablely threw out the instructions first off. I am redoing the entire Pu now and other than the idiots who tried to assemble the bed, I have no problem with the Mack's bed. I called Mack Hils and spoke to him about some of my problems and he was very helpful considering some one other than me had purchased the bed
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
slobroy

Northern Classic is the bed you want. It is the most correct bed i've seen yet. I bought mine through a third party because they were at good guys in Nashville one year. I just purchased the spare tire carrier from Northern. Ordered it on Wed. It was here Friday. Exceptional quality. Now I just need pictures of where to correctly place it on the bed..
slobroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
SSsssteamer

I purchased a new bed out of Michigan through Mac's Antique Auto Parts. It took about a month to get it delivered. There wasn't any price breaks through Mac's monthly sale specials, so Mac's mark up must have been a low one. I received it in a 550 pound box that was about 6 inches high. I chose to buy it unassembled because I saved money on freight and also by the bed being unassembled. Using my old bed as a pattern and by following the printed directions, I put it together exactly like it was built in 1946. I got real good at using an air riveter. The truck bed is the most expensive part that I have bought for the '46 to date, but I am sure that it was a good investment because the bed will last forever. The new bed appears to be made out of a rust resistant alloy. We use our pick up daily on our ranch and the bed gets it share of scratches in the paint. So far I have yet to see any rust form on any of the the bare metal scratches. The truck receives thumbs up where ever it goes. Next to the wide white wall radial tires, the truck bed is the biggest improvement to the truck that I have made. The picture of the '46 parked on the lake, was taken years before the new bed was installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1946 ford PU 009.jpeg.jpg (115.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 1946 Ford pick up in ice. small file.jpg (69.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by SSsssteamer; 03-17-2012 at 05:20 PM.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
George G

Mack Hils doesn't have any photos of their products on their we sites. Hard to shop when you can't see what they are selling..........
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
55 dude

northern makes great stuff and they supply just about everyone. i have a tailgate from them and it is great plus saved some dough buying direct.
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote