Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
PAracer

Default 8BA Distributor Upgrade Mopar Internals?

Hello all,
I'm looking to upgrade an 8BA distributor. I have the details on modifying a GM HEI to work on an 8BA. I thought I also heard there was a Mopar option but I've searched and can't seem to find any real details. I was under the impression that this option replaced the guts in an 8BA distributor and used a stock cap. Does this option exist and can anyone point me to the details on how to do this? I don't like the looks of the GM HEI as I'm going for a traditional look in the engine bay.

Thanks in advance for any help.
PAracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Fordestes

Default Re: 8BA Distributor Upgrade Mopar Internals?

Get with Bubba's ignition he's got it figured out ! I think what your are reffering to is to take a Mopar dist. and fit the housing and shaft to work in a flathead, it is covered in the book Thunder road.
Hope this helps,
Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
DirtyDan

I had the modified Mopar ign. in my 8BA and never got it to run very good b/c of the lack of vacuum needed to advance the ignition. I ended up getting a modified SBC dist w/ mechanical advance from GMC Bubba with a petronix in it and it works great. Very reasonable on the price. He is a member on here as well.

http://www.lindertech.com/bhrs/services.htm
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
cbillelder

I am running a modified "Motorcraft" distributor from a late 80's Jeep wagoneer 360. It looks much like the original distributor in size, but has the Ford "Duraspark" electronic internal parts. It turns in the opposite direction from the Ford distributor, so it will work with the flathead. Also using the NAPA TP-40 ignition module with it. Your local mechanic will need to recurve the advance to cut it down to about 22 degrees total. Been using this setup about two years now and it starts easy and runs great. Just another idea that will use all storebought parts.
cbillelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
cbillelder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAracer View Post
Hello all,
I'm looking to upgrade an 8BA distributor. I have the details on modifying a GM HEI to work on an 8BA. I thought I also heard there was a Mopar option but I've searched and can't seem to find any real details. I was under the impression that this option replaced the guts in an 8BA distributor and used a stock cap. Does this option exist and can anyone point me to the details on how to do this? I don't like the looks of the GM HEI as I'm going for a traditional look in the engine bay.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I found a picture of my setup with the Jeep distributor that I had in a file. Thought I would show it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aircleaner.jpg (68.8 KB, 64 views)
cbillelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
PAracer

Thanks for the info on another option. Anybody ever converted the stock distributor with mechanical advance internals w/points?
PAracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Ronnie

Convert and machine a pre 74 gm dist and you are done I have done a few they work well. Bubba will have them.Dodge isn't as good for advance curves or for tuning have done one of them also.

Ronnie
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
rick r

have run an early 1980's 318 mopar dist for over 50000 mi in my 8ba. works great, electronic ,so no points to fuss with, looks like an 8ba dist . about an hour or two with a small lathe to do the conversion. i have a couple made up. would sell for $50 less cap, rotor and control box, or i will give you the necessary instructions to do your own conversion. if interested, give me a call at 705 439 2567 or e mail me at [email protected]
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote