Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #21
Badpuppy

Default Re: New-to-me '29, Butchered Fenders?

Phone cameras have ridiculous resolution these days. Resize them on your pc if you can, reduce the dimensions to 1/4 original.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #22
Rust-o-matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Truck-Nut View Post
If you look closely at the door it says US MAIL. From the picture it looks right, but not seeing it in person I can't tell how old the lettering is. I thought it was kinda cool!

( Pic off google. Not the OP's pic.)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Haha that thing is awesome! I looked up some similar pics on Google last night after someone mentioned the mail service. Imagine that pulling up to your mailbox every day. Very cool. My dad is a retired letter carrier; he will get a kick out of this, too.
Rust-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #23
Rust-o-matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Phone cameras have ridiculous resolution these days. Resize them on your pc if you can, reduce the dimensions to 1/4 original.

Yeah I posted these directly from my cell phone, you're probably right.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #24
Blue-Truck-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust-o-matic View Post
Yeah I posted these directly from my cell phone, you're probably right.
Actually just went through that myself, if you go into your camera it should give you a size option, I set mine down to MMS, and it worked well for the forum. Of course then you have the headache of knowing which pictures to post.

Blue-Truck-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #25
Rust-o-matic

Quote:
Actually just went through that myself, if you go into your camera it should give you a size option, I set mine down to MMS, and it worked well for the forum. Of course then you have the headache of knowing which pictures to post.

10-4, I'll try to remember to look next time. I'll probably take some more pics when I go to clean the junk out of the inside.

There's a spare wheel/tire and some other odds and ends of parts piled in the back seat at the moment. It isn't hurting much though... the seats are bare springs these days and all of the soft materials are long gone. I think it's pretty amazing something this old is still otherwise intact though.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #26
Blue-Truck-Nut

Quote:
10-4, I'll try to remember to look next time. I'll probably take some more pics when I go to clean the junk out of the inside.

There's a spare wheel/tire and some other odds and ends of parts piled in the back seat at the moment. It isn't hurting much though... the seats are bare springs these days and all of the soft materials are long gone. I think it's pretty amazing something this old is still otherwise intact though.
It always amazes me how resilient these little A's were to being left for dead in a barn somewhere. I hope you have lots of fun with it. Driven a few with a saddle blanket thrown over the seat springs listening to the wind through the top wood lol.

I'm personally interested in seeing the floor register for that heater, I've never seen an AutoLite version, very cool!

Old 11-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #27
Rust-o-matic

Quote:
It always amazes me how resilient these little A's were to being left for dead in a barn somewhere. I hope you have lots of fun with it. Driven a few with a saddle blanket thrown over the seat springs listening to the wind through the top wood lol.

I'm personally interested in seeing the floor register for that heater, I've never seen an AutoLite version, very cool!

Thanks man, I've enjoyed messing with it so far, and I'm just getting started. I picked up a couple of repair manuals recently, and found some cad templates to create new floorboards with. I'm certainly not afraid to navigate atop a saddle blanket either. I've sat on much worse!

I just need to make sure the engine is going to run before I start digging in too deep. I'd like to locate a set of used tires that don't cost an arm and a leg too.

What sort of heat exchanger do they usually have? I'm not at all familiar with the heaters on these things, so I'll have to follow the ductwork to see what all is still there and how it works. I presumed it's like an old VW, where the exhaust manifold heat is caught by the heat exchanger, then pulled into the cab with a fan. (?)
Old 11-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #28
Blue-Truck-Nut

Quote:
Thanks man, I've enjoyed messing with it so far, and I'm just getting started. I picked up a couple of repair manuals recently, and found some cad templates to create new floorboards with. I'm certainly not afraid to navigate atop a saddle blanket either. I've sat on much worse!

I just need to make sure the engine is going to run before I start digging in too deep. I'd like to locate a set of used tires that don't cost an arm and a leg too.

What sort of heat exchanger do they usually have? I'm not at all familiar with the heaters on these things, so I'll have to follow the ductwork to see what all is still there and how it works. I presumed it's like an old VW, where the exhaust manifold heat is caught by the heat exchanger, then pulled into the cab with a fan. (?)
You nailed it. Warm air off the exhaust is directed through the firewall. Stock they did not have a heater, so if you have one, it's an aftermarket. There are several variations on the same idea, most I've seen use an aftermarket exhaust manifold with sheet metal ductwork around it. Some have a register in the floorboards below the fuel shutoff, some, like the one on my father's pickup, have a cable that works a valve behind the manifold, and a spout in the floorboards.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #29
Rust-o-matic

Quote:
You nailed it. Warm air off the exhaust is directed through the firewall. Stock they did not have a heater, so if you have one, it's an aftermarket. There are several variations on the same idea, most I've seen use an aftermarket exhaust manifold with sheet metal ductwork around it. Some have a register in the floorboards below the fuel shutoff, some, like the one on my father's pickup, have a cable that works a valve behind the manifold, and a spout in the floorboards.

Cool, thanks for the info! Now I wanna take a closer look at mine to see what I've got.

I'll have to get the passenger door open first. It's either locked or the latch is froze up, and I didn't get any keys from the auction. I noticed that the handle is attached with screws accessible from the exterior though, so I'm hoping I can just take it apart and have it re-keyed or replace it.

I have digressed about 100 miles from where this thread started...
Old 11-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #30
RB

Once purchased a 46 ford panel truck from a salvage yard that the front clip & frame were torched off slightly aft. of the front axle when I asked why, he said whenever he took his tractor through the narrow yard access he always bumped it anyway ?? By the way it was a perfect candidate & fit for a Mopar torsion bar clip popular at the time.
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #31
Rust-o-matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Once purchased a 46 ford panel truck from a salvage yard that the front clip & frame were torched off slightly aft. of the front axle when I asked why, he said whenever he took his tractor through the narrow yard access he always bumped it anyway ?? By the way it was a perfect candidate & fit for a Mopar torsion bar clip popular at the time.
Good grief. I suppose at one time though, that old panel truck probably wasn't worth a whole lot to anyone. It's a different story today though, that's for sure.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #32
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
Be careful with the spark plugs. They look like they may be original Champion 3X. Someone will be looking for them
One plug is clearly marked C-4, which was a popular plug "back in the day".