Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
wingski

Default missing V.I.N.

Well, the missing V.I.N. number is solved on my ’29 cabriolet. I took it to the Oregon State Police vehicle inspector today, and he couldn’t find a frame number either. So, now the new number is a simple 5 digit number that even I can remember. I also discovered the neatest job in the world. Curt has been with the state police for 30 years and for the last 20 he’s been inspecting cars for V.I.N. numbers. He said the only thing he regrets is not taking pictures of some of the awesome cars he’s seen and touched.
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
1955cj5

Default Re: missing V.I.N.

Very good.....I also have an assigned number, but luckily it just happens to be the stamped frame number.....They had to issue a new title as the one that came with the truck (in 1962!)had a different number.

Good for you that's one crisis resolved!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
wingski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
Very good.....I also have an assigned number, but luckily it just happens to be the stamped frame number.....They had to issue a new title as the one that came with the truck (in 1962!)had a different number.

Good for you that's one crisis resolved!
While I was talking to the inspector, I said that I was thinking about using an engraving tool to put the new number permanently on the frame. He agreed that was an excellent idea, but told me to put it somewhere that only my wife and I knew about. I’m thinking that I’ll put by the left rear shock or on one of the frame horns. I’m so glad that all this is over because I didn’t really feel that we owned that car until we had our names on it’s title.
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
While I was talking to the inspector, I said that I was thinking about using an engraving tool to put the new number permanently on the frame. He agreed that was an excellent idea, but told me to put it somewhere that only my wife and I knew about. I’m thinking that I’ll put by the left rear shock or on one of the frame horns. I’m so glad that all this is over because I didn’t really feel that we owned that car until we had our names on it’s title.
put it in several places - put it somewhere one can read it like backside of a crossmember or inside a frame rail then put it in another place that you cannot get to or be seen with the naked eye. That way IF it gets stolen and someone "scrubs numbers" they think they got it - the obvious one. The hidden one you can say "if you lift the body and its right there" and it is with your number well closed case.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
Big hammer

I wonder why the officer said place it where only you or wife knows it location?
On modern cars it's where everyone can see it, lower driver side dash seen through the windshield! Anyway do as they say, and keep all paper work!!!!
Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
I wonder why the officer said place it where only you or wife knows it location?
On modern cars it's where everyone can see it, lower driver side dash seen through the windshield! Anyway do as they say, and keep all paper work!!!!
There's also a hidden number that most of us don't know where it's located, but the police can find it. I just recently learned that even my 1950 Studebaker has a number on the rear frame crossmember.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
BillCNC

Does that new number drop the value of the car simply because the assigned Vin?

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Does that new number drop the value of the car simply because the assigned Vin?

Regards
Bill
I dont see why it would. Sure a legible frame number and matching engine number is worth more but my guess this is already mismatched and too rusty to see number anyways. If anything it might be easier to sell as its already cleared with the state.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
msbrown6

I had a great deputy in Idaho do a VIN inspection on my '29 Phaeton when I first purchased it - and, no surprise, no body # to be found. I suspect it is hiding on a frame member - and under the body. I understand that not all As had frame numbers assigned. Thankfully, he was very understanding - and I got the vehicle titled. Idaho has a process where they will tag the car with the historical VIN number - but I elected not to do that as it is not authentic appearing.
msbrown6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:33 PM   #10
Chris Haynes

I guess they were too lazy to lift the body to look for the number on my Tudor. So instead it is registered by the engine number. Which happens to be a grind off/re-stamp. I letter and 3 numbers. So I am going to lift the body in search of the real number. Then take it to DMV and CHP and have my car registered by the number it should be registered by. I will also use the reproduction stamp set to put the number in a couple other, more obvious, places.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote