Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Colonel Biggs

Default Filling cut-out cover pits with solder

I have an original cut-out cover that is perfect, except for a few small pits in places. I used some plumbing solder that I had available, flux, and a butane torch (heating from inside the cover) to melt some solder into place. This worked until I went to sand it smooth after cooling. The solder would tear away in pieces. Is this a function of the type of solder, or am I missing something else? This would seem to be a no-brainer (it says here).

I also want to fill some pits in an instrument panel that I plan to plate. I'm not sure that the copper plating stage of the process will be sufficient to hide the pits though.

Gordon
Colonel Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
SSsssteamer

Default Re: Filling cut-out cover pits with solder

Proper tinning on a properly prepared surface should keep the lead from flaking away on the cutout . For your dash panel, lead sold will not take a plating like the parent metal. Instead use silver solder on a properly prepared surface and it will plate over beautifully matching the rest.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Colonel Biggs

Default Filing cut-out cover pits with solder

Thanks for the response. Minor questions for the purist:

Are all silver solders alike, or is a Home Depot brand adequate?

Any trick to the preparation; flux just before heating?

Any other preparations to the metal that you recommend?

Do you use a high heat to melt the solder (e.g., propane), or would a butane torch suffice?

Is it necessary to spread the melted solder with any kind of paddle, or would a wooden popsicle stick suffice?

Lastly, sand smooth with a fine file, or 400-grit sandpaper?

Thanks.

Gordon
Old 01-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

For filling the cutout cover I would use a good heavy duty soldering gun, like a WEN 250, or a heavy duty soldering iron. Sandblast the cover with Black Beauty grit to get all the rust out of the pit. Use a good rosin flux and 60/40 electrical solder.

Instrument panels with pits can be very labor intensive, as I've done one. I won't do another, but instead buy a better panel, or a restored original panel.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Instrument panels with pits can be very labor intensive, as I've done one. I won't do another, but instead buy a better panel, or a restored original panel.
Get one of Don Turley's restored original panels. They are probably the best around. Mine looked like "Brand New" when I got it.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
SeaSlugs

question: are you planing to have the cutout replated as well? if not and your just plannign to paint it - sandblast it, prime it, then use spot putty to fill the pits, sand, then topcoat.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #7
Ulysses6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
For filling the cutout cover I would use a good heavy duty soldering gun, like a WEN 250, or a heavy duty soldering iron. Sandblast the cover with Black Beauty grit to get all the rust out of the pit. Use a good rosin flux and 60/40 electrical solder.

which of the black beauty products, do you recommend ?
coal slag
glass abrasive
iron / copper slag
and which grade ?
Ulysses6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I always buy the coal slag from Menards. Don't know the grade, but think they only sell the one grade.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
Colonel Biggs

Default Filling cut-out cover pits with solder

Thanks for the posts. I plan on having the cover plated, otherwise I would use JB Weld and a razor blade to eliminate the pits.

My instrument panel is in excellent shape, except for the few pits. Hence, I like the challenge of preparing it for plating myself. I guess that I will experiment with some silver solder.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Biggs View Post
Thanks for the posts. I plan on having the cover plated, otherwise I would use JB Weld and a razor blade to eliminate the pits.

My instrument panel is in excellent shape, except for the few pits. Hence, I like the challenge of preparing it for plating myself. I guess that I will experiment with some silver solder.
Are you going to use that Cad plating company over in the Park Place area?? (Cant remember the name.)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #11
JonC

Black Beauty comes in three grades fine-med. etc. I have have excellent results using tinning butter from Eastwoods when using lead on my projects. The paste is grey in color but when heated turns to a chrome like finish when using a damp rag wipe the area, it will show you where the adhesion is and body solder will stick to it very well. It has it's own flux mixed in.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #12
Special Coupe Frank

Any rust left in the pits will cause adhesion problems with the solder.... it won't "flow-over" the void, but instead will flow around it, leaving a little pin-hole.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
Colonel Biggs

Hey, Brent! It's been a while. Convey my best to your dad, by all means.

For cad plating I've used Delta Specialty Coatings on Heiser here in Houston. They acquired Electro Specialty Coatings, whom I had been using, back in 2005. They have a minimum charge for plating ($100?), which means some pooling in most cases.

I will have Bright Metals of the Heights do the instrument panel. They apply a brushed nickel finish, which is an excellent replica of the original Butler finish. (Bryan Perkins has two of my oval instrument panels in such a finish.)

As to the plating posts, thanks for the suggestions. I will try some flux and electrical solder and see how it flows. I should get a tentative reading from the plating shop tomorrow as to how successful the copper layer might be in hiding the small pits.