Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
1930-Pickup

Default Windshield Visibility: Vacuum vs. Electric Wiper Motor (Late 1930 CCPU)

I'm finding the vacuum wiper motor to be pretty annoying when I'm driving. The bottom of the motor aligns nearly perfectly with my view of the road. It's the perfect storm of my height and the wiper motor location.

To me it appears that the electric wiper motors used on some A's have a smaller profile than the vacuum motors. Am I seeing that right? Are the electric motor less obstructive?

I want to keep the right 'look' to my pickup, but I also want to see the traffic. I don't want to remove the wiper system. Maybe a conversion to an electric motor may be the answer here since few people would realize that electrics weren't used on pickups.

I don't use the wiper system. I don't drive the A in the rain, mostly because it almost never rains here anymore.

Any thoughts (about the electric wiper motor I mean, not about the global warming thing)?
Old 03-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Windshield Visibility: Vacuum vs. Electric Wiper Motor (Late 1930 CCPU)

Use rainx.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
CarlG

Default Re: Windshield Visibility: Vacuum vs. Electric Wiper Motor (Late 1930 CCPU)

You might try the hand wiper. I don't think it was original, but that's the way it was when I bought it. Satisfies the legal requirement for a wiper in any case.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
1930-Pickup

Does someone have experience with this?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
Bikerider58

I removed the wipers...it doesn’t rain in SoCal. There is a song about it.

One time I get caught out, the rainX did its job.

Did not think about legal requirement. I need to check, if a wiper is required, I will add one hand wiper.
Bikerider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #6
1930-Pickup

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I've seen many posts on the Barn that say "everything that can be asked about Model A's has already been asked, and answered". Did I stump everyone again?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:50 AM   #7
CarlG

I just today completed the install of electric wipers on my '31 Pickup.
(video on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mode...eric&ref=notif )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1524.JPG (134.9 KB, 54 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 03-09-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
desotoguy

The wipers appear to be mounted above the original location. What system did you install? Can't get the video on the link to play.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
700rpm

You will have to put different holes in your windshield and/or header to accommodate an electric wiper, and maybe even a hand wiper.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoguy View Post
The wipers appear to be mounted above the original location. What system did you install? Can't get the video on the link to play.
I bought a kit from New Port Engineering www.newportwipers.com
You have to be a Facebook member for the video to play.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 03-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #11
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
You will have to put different holes in your windshield and/or header to accommodate an electric wiper, and maybe even a hand wiper.
I didn't realize that different mounting holes where required to switch from vacuum to electric. Darn. I definitely will not be drilling holes into my truck, so I guess my motor swap idea is dead
Old 03-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post
Does someone have experience with this?
My 29 CC originally had hand wiper only. I first tried to put a vacuum wiper motor which came with the car but uninstalled - the intake manifold had been drilled and plugged.

So I drilled the firewall, put in the through-bulkhead fitting, and arranged the tubing to bring vacuum up to where the wiper was to be installed - a fair amount of work. I even notched out the windshield header to allow the wiper motor to be installed inside and then installed it.

A rainy day brought the vacuum wiper into play with disappointing results.
Press on the accelerator to any degree and the wiper STOPPED - and when traveling fast is when you want your wiper the most?

So I gave up - took out all the piping, and installed a JC Whitney 6v wiper motor in the notched out area. http://www.jcwhitney.com/details/Cro....html#plpslot1

Much better - but not even remotely original.

Now I look to bring it back to the hand wiper - how often do you drive a Model A in the rain?

And that windshield header and firewall were only original once.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 03-09-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #13
gilitos

I drove my 29 Closed Cab for 10 years (before I sold it) with the original hand wiper. It was perfectly functional in the rain. I never felt the need to replace it with electric or vacuum.

I have never installed a wiper on my 30 Tudor which I have been driving since 1975. It has a replacement windshield frame that I never drilled. I just use RainX, and that works better than any manual, vacuum, or electric wiper ever did.
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

1930-Pickup,
Just HUNCH DOWN, like you do when you're EYEBALLING the TOPLESS Gals on your HUNTINGTON BEACH!
Did you see me when I was there?---I wuz the one on the Pier, feedin' DIMES into the TELESCOPE!!---It cost me a DOLLAR, to get them Kids to let me have a TURN, LOOKING!
Bill Eyeballs
Old 03-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
1930-Pickup,
Just HUNCH DOWN, like you do when you're EYEBALLING the TOPLESS Gals on your HUNTINGTON BEACH!
Did you see me when I was there?---I wuz the one on the Pier, feedin' DIMES into the TELESCOPE!!---It cost me a DOLLAR, to get them Kids to let me have a TURN, LOOKING!
Bill Eyeballs

I agree with all, except 'hunch down' stuff ! Why ? There you would be the only huncher for 10 miles. No one notices nor seems to care about being aunatural on the left coast.

Now getting back to serious business/wiper question.
Someone(s) mentioned THE LAW....about having a wiper...really, on a Model A ? Anyone know and can share the law ? Where is the wiper to be on a roadster , if the LAW requires one (ugg:think Ugly here). And, is it one or two wipers..one (hand operated) for passenger to use.

Anyway Bill, about your comment about bundling up. That's good common sense, eh! That's why I'm searching far and wide for a raccoon or bear skin overcoat to wear on that rare occasion when it 'rains in left coast Kailfornia' (a song ). I figure to 're-purpose' use it as a seat cover when the sun is out. Without a top and without a wiper and with a rumble seat, that coat could be put to a lot of great uses ! You got one to sell ??

BTW...do you keep a inclement weather kit in your A ?

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-10-2018 at 02:37 PM. Reason: ............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #16
J.niven

The electric wiper on my 1928 Tudor doesn't extend lower than the windshield frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1520715728128515288527.jpg (47.5 KB, 38 views)
J.niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #17
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
1930-Pickup,
Bill Eyeballs
Sorry I missed that event Bill. I think you make it to the beach more often than I do...old iron is vice enough for me