Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Racur96

Default Gas tank date

Hi guys, I got to noticing tonight that my gas tank has a 4-2-29 date stamped in it and the frame number shows that engine was stamped the same day also. The chassis has the features that are listed in service bulletins from march 15 thru possibly the end of April( April 6th 29 shows the body bracket up front was redesigned but I'm not sure which style I have but it wasn't as late as may because I still have the 3/4 hole in rear crossmember for brake rod) is it just odd coincidence that these two numbers were stamped on same day or have others seen this also? Thanks
Racur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Gas tank date

Not the same day, but all frames should be stamped with the engine number when the engine is lowered to the frame on the assembly line. Hopefull your title card number also matches these two numbers.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Is there an assembly plant code and numbers on your body?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racur96 View Post
Hi guys, I got to noticing tonight that my gas tank has a 4-2-29 date stamped in it and the frame number shows that engine was stamped the same day also. The chassis has the features that are listed in service bulletins from march 15 thru possibly the end of April( April 6th 29 shows the body bracket up front was redesigned but I'm not sure which style I have but it wasn't as late as may because I still have the 3/4 hole in rear crossmember for brake rod) is it just odd coincidence that these two numbers were stamped on same day or have others seen this also? Thanks
Service Bulletins?????? Did you review the MARC/MAFCA Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards?

Also look at my website and go to Additional Studies...then to Letters, Numbers and Codes for more information.

Is the body original to the frame? Style?

Pluck
Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
I'm with Pluck about the assembly plant information, that would
be useful.
The question I have is(and I'm working on my first cup of Coffee), where
is the 3/4" hole in the rear cross member for the brake rod?
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Racur96

Hi Tom, I did title the truck using the frame numbers so I'm good to go there. Steve the truck is a 29 ccpu. I looked but could not find the assembly number. Not sure if the frame is original to truck but I believe it is. I haven't picked up the rg&js's yet but my main question is do the date motor was stamped and the date tank was stamped usually match? There both 4-2-29 oin my case. I did go to your site & look up alot of the info. Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Tom, I did title the truck using the frame numbers so I'm good to go there. Steve the truck is a 29 ccpu. I looked but could not find the assembly number. Not sure if the frame is original to truck but I believe it is. I haven't picked up the rg&js's yet but my main question is do the date motor was stamped and the date tank was stamped usually match? There both 4-2-29 oin my case. I did go to your site & look up alot of the info. Thanks
Sometimes yes...sometimes no...If they do match then it was the luck of the draw OR since Dearborn was very, very close to the FORD Assembly Plant there...a lot of times gas tanks and engines with the same date got mated together.

Pluck
Old 06-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
Racur96

Ok thanks a lot Steve , I figured it was a luck of the draw deal. Thanks alot guys
Old 06-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
SeaSlugs

Is the only spot for a gas tank date on the firewall side lower left (drivers side)? im curious as to what my date would be if it has one. (believed to be march 29 truck)
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Is the only spot for a gas tank date on the firewall side lower left (drivers side)? im curious as to what my date would be if it has one. (believed to be march 29 truck)
I have seen no other place for that date to be...but in this business...who knows.

Your cab should have a date...but then again, maybe not because not all tanks got stamped within the stamping period of May 1928-September 1929.

Pluck
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
SeaSlugs

alright ill take a closer look at mine. i was "grazing" all over the bottom of the tank and firewall side for any marking so maybe i missed it if it has one...