Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2024, 06:54 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: Should I convert from 6 volts to 12 volts

In my opinion, the availability of the 800 CCA Optima battery makes staying with 6 volts a no-brainer. Sure, they are expensive, but every one I have had lasted 12+ years, so cost is really not much of a factor.

A roached wiring harness is a completely different animal.

Last edited by tubman; 01-06-2024 at 11:09 PM.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 09:58 PM   #22
jplutz

Greetings, I just installed an Optima Red Top 6v in my 52(avatar photo). I got a great deal at a local Advance Auto store..$145 + tax. Maybe the counter girl liked me( ha [email protected] yrs).
Anywho, what a difference starting after I installed it!! My wiring is also shot thru out the car. One of the previous owners rewired the ignition and lighting with his/her own harness.
Every ground is a blue wire. I had to get headlight harness' from C & G and figure out the hookup on the radiator brace.
Half the wire s under the dash don't work and have the original insulation falling off. Sometime in the future I will also get a wiring kit.
But...for now the engine runs smoothly, with it being a little rich(it has the wrong carb!!) and I drive it when I can.
Check all your grounds. That is the biggest electric problem on old cars like ours.
The harness in your possession will handle both voltages. It's the gauges, gen/ alt, and starter that need attention, also, check to see if you have an electric fuel pump. That is also 6v if it is installed.
If your Ford is running, and street safe, DRIVE IT😁😁 Have Fun. Take care of problems as they occur, don't create them. All the best. JPL
jplutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 10:03 PM   #23
Ken/Alabama

We won WW2 driving on 6 volts !
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 10:15 PM   #24
jplutz

F A R, Ken!!
Old 01-08-2024, 12:22 AM   #25
jers36

Here is one thing to consider on the 6v to 12v question. I have a 36 pickup all stock. I called a local garage to see about getting the radiator flushed and took it in to be done. I showed the manager how to start it and went in and set down to wait on it, about 30 minutes later the mechanic came over and said he couldn't get it started and the battery was dead. I said ok put it on a charger and he said our chargers are all 12 volt we don't have a 6 volt anymore. I said get a helper and give me a push across the parking lot, they did I popped the clutch and went home. I do not intend to change to 12V but I wonder what would happen out on the highway if your battery died and AAA or whoever showed up with only 12v available. If you have jumper cables all the other vehicles will be 12 volt. Justa thought!
jers36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:05 AM   #26
Jack E/NJ

jers36>>>I wonder what would happen out on the highway if your battery died and AAA or whoever showed up with only 12v available.>>>

Hmmm. I'm gonna guess a big spark might happen. Even bigger if neg ground was assumed.
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:31 AM   #27
Dan in MI

When mine died AAA used a jump box to start it. Hook it up correctly and remove it right away. Don’t let someone jump your vehicle without being there.
Dan in MI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:23 AM   #28
wga

Changed out my stock 49 woodie to 12v in 2006 and have had zero issues.

Get the 6v wiring harness and convert to 12 volts negative ground. An alternator that looks like a generator - Powermaster and EJ Whitney:
https://www.ejwhitneyco.com/automotive.html
12v to 6v solid state reducer - do not use resistors, wire this to 12v power and
the output to the 6V for your gauges:
https://www.ronfrancis.com/category/...rsion-products
Use a Bosch 12v blue coil for your ignition, it is internally regulated:
https://empius.com/products/empi-coi...illed-boxed-3/

I use a 12v AGM battery from NAPA.

Search this forum, there is a plethora of info on 12v conversions, about as popular
as what type of oil should I use.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:55 AM   #29
Merc Cruzer

My 53' Mercury is still 6 volt pos ground and it has original 6 volt: power windows,
power top, radio with tubes and vibrator, 4 way power seats, fog lights, electric clock, starter, Electro-Vac, stock distributed and all 6 volt gauges and bulbs. No issues what so ever.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:00 AM   #30
my2nd40

I’ve changed my cars to 12 volts for a long time. If your 6 volt wiring is in good shape it’s a pretty simple process.
my2nd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:18 AM   #31
jplutz

BBB, as you can see, and WGA states, opinions about 12v conversions are all over the place on this forum. And opinions are like butts, everyone has one.
It boils down to what you can afford in money, time, expirience, and plans for your car. If you have a local V8 Ford Flathead Club join it, if you don't already belong. JPL
Old 01-08-2024, 11:50 AM   #32
Babyboomerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplutz View Post
BBB, as you can see, and WGA states, opinions about 12v conversions are all over the place on this forum. And opinions are like butts, everyone has one.
It boils down to what you can afford in money, time, expirience, and plans for your car. If you have a local V8 Ford Flathead Club join it, if you don't already belong. JPL
Your right jplutz, there is a lot of opinions about a change over to 12 volts. I think I will stay with the 6 volt system as I am not sure I could change all the wiring myself. My first rewire of the car will be the front headlight crossover wires and new headliight bucket wires. After that I am not sure. It's cold in Kansas right now so I have plenty of time to play in the garage before spring. Thanks to everyone who replied to this post.
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:57 AM   #33
Kens 36

In my opinion, a new wiring harness is one of the two best things you can do for your Early V-8. (A new radiator or replaced core being the other). Buy your wiring from one of the reputable dealers. Most will tag every wire showing where it goes. New wires and proper grounds will eliminate many reasons folks convert to 12 volts. I realize there are some who convert to add A/C or a 2000-Watt subwoofer.

More importantly, replacing old wires is the best thing you can do for safety. Brighter lights and more reliable cranking and ignition are a great side benefit.

Ken
Old 01-08-2024, 12:51 PM   #34
tubman

We used to jump start 6 volt cars with 12 volts all the time. Two things to get right. Make sure you understand the polarity issue and make sure ALL the lights and accessories are turned off. Never had a problem and the started a lot faster.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:03 PM   #35
slowforty

I have a 40 Deluxe with Two Optima six volt batteries in parallel and an additional solenoid that starts on 12 volts and runs on six volts. I was stubborn and just had to have a six volt car. Looking back on 35 years of ownership, converting to 12 volts would have been ok .
But i did enjoy doing it my way.

It is your car Do What You Want.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:28 PM   #36
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboomerboy View Post
Your right jplutz, there is a lot of opinions about a change over to 12 volts. I think I will stay with the 6 volt system as I am not sure I could change all the wiring myself. My first rewire of the car will be the front headlight crossover wires and new headliight bucket wires. After that I am not sure. It's cold in Kansas right now so I have plenty of time to play in the garage before spring. Thanks to everyone who replied to this post.
Here's an item that you'll find agreement on: Don't replace the original bulb sockets with repop sockets, as the new sockets are inferior. This goes for taillight as well as headlight sockets. Replace the wire, yes, the sockets no.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:47 PM   #37
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
I was stubborn and just had to have a six volt car. Looking back on 35 years of ownership, converting to 12 volts would have been ok .
But i did enjoy doing it my way.

It is your car Do What You Want.

Here's my up-vote for slowforty's reply. I'm the same; 6v and very stubborn about it, but it is your car and you get to decide what you're satisfied with.

There are good reasons and bad reasons to convert:

Bad Reason: car doesn't work right. If you just convert to 12v you may still have the same problem. I'm not aware of any problem the conversion fixes that couldn't be fixed by going to the root cause in a 6v system.

Good Reasons:
1. You want to use a 12v part or accessory that isn't available as a stock 6v part.
2. It's your car and you just want to do it.

Yes, 12v conversions can be done very successfully. I've done a lot of other modifications on other cars. There is a law of unintended consequences. Changing one thing can force you to change another thing which you weren't counting on which leads to another, etc. The further you get from stock, the more you're on your own. No one but you knows what you've done to the car and the less help there is for a car with one-off modifications.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:15 PM   #38
SoCal32

As someone that just picked up a restored '47 Sedan that is still 6-volt, my concern was the jump starting if away from home. What's the proper procedure with the positive ground 6-volt system if jumping with a 12-volt source?
SoCal32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 12:01 AM   #39
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal32 View Post
As someone that just picked up a restored '47 Sedan that is still 6-volt, my concern was the jump starting if away from home. What's the proper procedure with the positive ground 6-volt system if jumping with a 12-volt source?
Post 34 by Tubman answered your question.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:36 AM   #40
SoCal32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Post 34 by Tubman answered your question.

Then I guess I'm not fully understanding the polarity issue which is why I asked the question. I understand the '47 is positive ground. If it's being jumped by another vehicle with a 12-volt negative ground, how are the cables attached. Is it positive to positive or swapped?
SoCal32 is offline   Reply With Quote