Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2020, 09:32 PM   #1
dmaxweb

Default Rumble Seat Deck Lids 30-31

With many people converting rumble seats to trunks, are nice original late 30-31 rumble seat deck lids readily available?
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:36 PM   #2
Colorado Greg

Default Re: Rumble Seat Deck Lids 30-31

The deck lid is the same for a rumble seat or a trunk, you just move the handle and have different hinges.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:19 AM   #3
dmaxweb

I realize the lid dimensions are the same. I was referring to lids from cars with factory rumble seat. Hole already in correct location.

Also, not exactly related to my question, the handles on '30 - '31 rumble and trunk are not the same. So you cannot "just move the handle".
Old 05-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

I suspect that a huge percentage of cars with rumble seats were converted from trunks, so the trunk handle hole is still in the deck lid. It just needs to be reopened.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxweb View Post
I realize the lid dimensions are the same. I was referring to lids from cars with factory rumble seat. Hole already in correct location.

Also, not exactly related to my question, the handles on '30 - '31 rumble and trunk are not the same. So you cannot "just move the handle".
You are correct that the deck door is different between the two. Also factor in the A-41440 Deck Door for the bodies without Rumble Seats also did not have the clinchnut inserts for the rumble hinge brackets like the A-52435 Door did. More often than not, the hinges for the rumble deck door have been mis-drilled which causes alignment issues.

To answer your question regarding converting back, quite honestly, there were not that many factory-built Rumble Seat bodies back in the day. Buyers that needed a 2nd seat opted for a Tudor/Fordor/Victoria Coupe. Most of the deck doors that I see that were on older rumble seat car restorations have been converted from a trunk. This is usually distinguished by the way the rumble hinges have been attached.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
dmaxweb

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
You are correct that the deck door is different between the two. Also factor in the A-41440 Deck Door for the bodies without Rumble Seats also did not have the clinchnut inserts for the rumble hinge brackets like the A-52435 Door did. More often than not, the hinges for the rumble deck door have been mis-drilled which causes alignment issues.

To answer your question regarding converting back, quite honestly, there were not that many factory-built Rumble Seat bodies back in the day. Buyers that needed a 2nd seat opted for a Tudor/Fordor/Victoria Coupe. Most of the deck doors that I see that were on older rumble seat car restorations have been converted from a trunk. This is usually distinguished by the way the rumble hinges have been attached.
I'm not talking about "converting back". I have a '30 rumble coupe with a '28-'29 lid. The lid needs body work, filler and repaint. All of the rumble hardware (hinges, stop, braces, etc.) is original and functions fine. It doesn't make sense to put all the work into repairing an incorrect year lid. Hence the question regarding availabilty of '30 lids.

Plus, the current lid has a short shaft repro handle. I have an original long shaft handle restored and ready to go.

Last edited by dmaxweb; 05-07-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
John

A good '30-'31 deck or rumble lid is hard to find and thus usually demand a premium price. Even the better ones found have a bit of rust.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
CHuDWah

Quote:
...there were not that many factory-built Rumble Seat bodies...

Aren't the Cabriolet, Deluxe Roadster, and Sport Coupe the only bodies with rumble seat factory-standard (optional on others with the exception of the Business Coupe)? Interesting all those are convertibles, or convertible-appearing in the case of the Sport Coupe. I guess rumble seats were considered "sporty" even back then.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Aren't the Cabriolet, Deluxe Roadster, and Sport Coupe the only bodies with rumble seat factory-standard (optional on others with the exception of the Business Coupe)? Interesting all those are convertibles, or convertible-appearing in the case of the Sport Coupe. I guess rumble seats were considered "sporty" even back then.
Yes, but I am not sure that the rumble seat was considered 'sporty' back then. Remember that a just little over half of all of the 180,000 or so 40B Roadsters were built as a DeLuxe, however out of the nearly 380,000 1930/31 45B Coupes that were built, -only around 17% of those were DeLuxe models, ...and not all DeLuxe Coupes were rumble seat equipped. Then factor in that only less than 38k 68B/C Cabriolets and less than 50k 50B Sport Coupes were made. Again, just not that many when comparatively speaking.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
dmaxweb

Quote:
Yes, but I am not sure that the rumble seat was considered 'sporty' back then. Remember that a just little over half of all of the 180,000 or so 40B Roadsters were built as a DeLuxe, however out of the nearly 380,000 1930/31 45B Coupes that were built, -only around 17% of those were DeLuxe models, ...and not all DeLuxe Coupes were rumble seat equipped. Then factor in that only less than 38k 68B/C Cabriolets and less than 50k 50B Sport Coupes were made. Again, just not that many when comparatively speaking.

My 30 Deluxe coupe has upper lid bumpers on corner brackets attached with waffle peened rivets. It also has the rumble lid aligning plates. Would these have been present from the factory if it had a trunk?

Yes I know they could have been subsequently added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200507_151846.jpg (33.5 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by dmaxweb; 05-07-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:48 PM   #11
Joop

Original Trunk-lid picture maybe this helps you
It makes the corner more rigid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0498.jpg (38.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0491.jpg (61.0 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Joop; 05-08-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:10 PM   #12
Dale Ewell

would any one have the correct width of a 30-31 rumble seat lid
not sure what this car has been through but its had a lot of hands in the fire
just trying to make it as correct as possible
Dale Ewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #13
Oldbluoval

If no one answers I can get the dimensions later tomorrow
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:48 PM   #14
Keith True

About 3 years ago I had a 30 lit that had been converted from a trunk to a rumble.There was some rust out in the bottom edge,from mouse pee,but it wwas a fixer,good to repair but not for a real restoration.I knew the A guys would try to beat me up on it,so I put a stiff price on it,considering what it was.$350.and I was bombarded with calls.A young fellow drove 90 miles to get it,and got here at 10:00 PM.He was tickled pink.I have a nice rust free lid right now,and that one was also converted from a trunk to a rumble.I would want to do some homework to price that one if I decide to sell it.Usually if I sell something like that I have a need for it a few months later.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #15
fundytides

I have a 31 Standard Roadster (Canadian) that had an original rumble seat when I bought it in 1958. However the bottom inner and outer panels were rusted out very badly for the bottom 6" or so. I considered repairing it but was able to find a decent used lid (I thought) at Hershey and bought it and subsequently had it repaired. It was a lot of work and now looks good on my car but in hindsight, I probably would have been better off to put the money into repairing my original lid. As I have learned in subsequent adventures, resurrecting an original part is usually a better alternative than building/repairing an alternative. I still have the original lid and may someday have to go back to it
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:02 PM   #16
Dale Ewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
If no one answers I can get the dimensions later tomorrow
have not had any response
the dimensions would be great when you get a minute
not in a real hurry
thanks, Dale
Old 11-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #17
Dale Ewell

not in a real hurry
thanks, Dale
Old 11-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #18
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Ewell View Post
not in a real hurry
thanks, Dale
Dale, I can measure my 2 (original and the used replacement I bought) tonite or tomorrow morning if you still need the figures. What exactly do you need, just width and top to bottom?
Old 11-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #19
fundytides

Dale, here's the measurements for the lid on my 31 Roadster: 36 1/2" wide at the top, 35 1/2" wide at the bottom, 31" top to bottom (Maybe slightly off as I measured with a steel tape which doesn't conform exactly to the curvature of the lid). I couldn't get the measurements for my other lid because it is in behind a couple of cars that are in dead storage for the winter. Hope this helps. Dave
Old 11-10-2021, 01:47 AM   #20
Incognito-A

Saw a couple really nice ones at Hershey, priced right too…didn’t need one. Around $300 seemed to be the going rate. Good ones are still out there.
Incognito-A is offline   Reply With Quote