Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Synchro909

Default Way off topic but everybody here knows about this

A while ago, I had a thread taken down, I suspect through the ignorance of whomever complained about it so I'll say nothing this time other than post a link and invite you to read.
To our US friends, compare what you read on this link with what happened in your own country a few weeks earlier, then factor in the fact that Australia has a population very much smaller than yours.
http://www.australia.gov.au/about-au...bing-of-darwin

A day of gratitude here to those who were present 75 years ago today.

Last edited by Synchro909; 02-18-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Way off topic but everybody here knows about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
A while ago, I had a thread taken down, I suspect through the ignorance of whomever complained about it so I'll say nothing this time other than post a link and invite you to read.
To our US friends, compare what you read on this link with what happened in your own country a few weeks earlier, then factor in the fact that Australia has a population very much smaller than yours.
http://www.australia.gov.au/about-au...bing-of-darwin

A day of gratitude here to those who were present.
I think that first attack on Darwin was depicted in the movie 'Australia' with Bryon Brown, Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. I thought it was a spot on representation of that attack. Japan was building up it's forces in New Guinea for a northern Australian invasion when offensive attacks began on the Japanese finally.

I watched the whole movie to see some wrong sided drive Model As, didn't see a one.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
I think that first attack on Darwin was depicted in the movie 'Australia' with Bryon Brown, Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. I thought it was a spot on representation of that attack. Japan was building up it's forces in New Guinea for a northern Australian invasion when offensive attacks began on the Japanese finally.

I watched the whole movie to see some wrong sided drive Model As, didn't see a one.
We say that if we sit on the RIGHT side of the car, the others are wrong sided.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
JohninKuranda

I lived and worked in Darwin from 1980-2001. On occassion the restored air-raid sirens would sound to commemorate this anniversary.

There were also some US ships sunk - a fact not often known outside Darwin - USS Peary https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Peary_(DD-226) and USAT Meigs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAT_Meigs
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
BoysToys1928A

Synchro909, If we forget history it is said we are destined to relive it... Never forget. And as a side note I love your signature !!!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
Chuck Sea/Tac

Wow I had no idea.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:37 AM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Wow I had no idea.
Because the attack happened outside the US, I guess there was little, if any publicity in the US and certainly no attention from Hollywood. As it was before the attack on Perl Harbour, the American public wisely didn't want anything to do with the war. The Government knew it was inevitable and when the Japs attacked, they had to turn around public opinion quickly to fight a war. Hence there was a huge campaign, the results of which still influence the way we think of PH today but Darwin is well remembered here.
As a final twist of the knife, the Australian Government sold the sunken ships in the harbour for scrap after the war TO THE JAPANESE!
Old 02-19-2017, 01:03 AM   #8
31 Model A

Quote:
Because the attack happened outside the US, I guess there was little, if any publicity in the US and certainly no attention from Hollywood. As it was before the attack on Perl Harbour, the American public wisely didn't want anything to do with the war. The Government knew it was inevitable and when the Japs attacked, they had to turn around public opinion quickly to fight a war. Hence there was a huge campaign, the results of which still influence the way we think of PH today but Darwin is well remembered here.
As a final twist of the knife, the Australian Government sold the sunken ships in the harbour for scrap after the war TO THE JAPANESE!
Before Pearl??? It was almost three months after Pearl... The Japanese attack Singapore, Wake Island, the Philippines after Pearl also within weeks.

The Japanese did have salvage rights to one cargo ship but they only took the superstructure and left the hull and it's a number one dive place since it's still filled with all it's cargo. It wasn't considered a war grave.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 02-19-2017, 02:17 AM   #9
updraught

I'd say most people here don't know anything about it either.

As the article says:
"At the time, there were many rumours alluding to the Australian Government's suppression of information about the bombings - it was thought that reports of casualties were intentionally diminished to maintain national morale."
Some stuff was kept secret for 60 years.

The film had a ground invasion which never happened.
Probably most things in it never happened either!
Where the jalopy does the water crossing is Ivanhoe Crossing which can be interesting when the water gets up.

updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:14 AM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Before Pearl??? It was almost three months after Pearl... The Japanese attack Singapore, Wake Island, the Philippines after Pearl also within weeks.

The Japanese did have salvage rights to one cargo ship but they only took the superstructure and left the hull and it's a number one dive place since it's still filled with all it's cargo. It wasn't considered a war grave.
Crossed wires here, I think. I didn't say Darwin was before Pearl, I said that before Pearl, the American public didn't want any part of the war. I can see how my words could be misconstrued.
Updraught,
I didn't see the film.They are usually so far removed from reality that you have to wonder whether they are talking about the same thing.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #11
31 Model A

Quote:
Crossed wires here, I think. I didn't say Darwin was before Pearl, I said that before Pearl, the American public didn't want any part of the war. I can see how my words could be misconstrued.
Updraught,
I didn't see the film.They are usually so far removed from reality that you have to wonder whether they are talking about the same thing.
The war going on in Europe, other than the Lend-Lease Act, that is basically correct, not counting all the Yanks that went North to join up in the UK forces.

Japan was expanding by invading China before Pearl and all the rubber exports to Japan was halted because of their aggression.

BTW, how did the Ford Auto plants there play a part in Australia's war production?

The film included the 1st and 2nd attack on Darwin.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
Cornishman

I worked with several Australian families who were attached to the British Forces in Germany. They always remembered their pertinent WW1 and WW2 dates with reverence and style.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:

BTW, how did the Ford Auto plants there play a part in Australia's war production?
That was before my time. I'm afraid I can't answer that.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
I worked with several Australian families who were attached to the British Forces in Germany. They always remembered their pertinent WW1 and WW2 dates with reverence and style.
This is as it should be. Never ever forget their sacrifices.

Tragically, the great majority of snowflakes 'graduating' from U.S. colleges today don't have a clue about History, don't even know the 'why', 'where', 'who', and 'what' about that most terrible slaughter of people worldwide.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #15
Maclab58

I never knew that. Thankyou for posting
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #16
JohninKuranda

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/history-Ford-.../dp/0959228721

This book was published in 1986 with Chapter 7 entitled "Ford at War" Get it if you can. Seems the Ford auto plants were very active, from supplying military vehicles prior to the outbreak of WWII - armoured cars, trucks, staff cars, ambulances etc that were in action around the world. Also aircraft auxillary fuel tanks for fighter planes. The Royal Australian Navy was also supplied with small ships and landing craft.

This activity went against Henry Ford anti war views until Pearl Harbour at least.

If any one is interested, I can scan the relevant pages. PM me.

JohninKuranda
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #17
harleynut

Thanks Arnold, I didn't know that. I'll bet most people here in the states don't know it either.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #18
H. L. Chauvin

The writers of history in all of our different countries was written by our different daily Press Agents in each different country, who reported in their different countries their "opinions" of what is called today, "Today's News."

From past experiences, every time someone visits a foreign country in order to seek what "actually" happened during a conflict, and after interviewing foreigners and foreign soldiers, the experience is "always" ............. "Good God ...... I never knew that!"

Again, good to hear a most interesting story not mentioned often today.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #19
Fred K-OR

Good post. Thank you.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #20
ursus

Perhaps not so well known were the Japanese attacks on the U.S. West Coast in 1942. This was conducted from a long range submarine carrying a deck-mounted cannon and a collapsible float plane. Fort Stevens on the Oregon Coast was shelled with 5.5 inch artillery and the float plane bombed forested areas further south in an effort to start forest fires. Of interest here is that the single witness to the aerial bombing described the explosion as sounding "like a backfiring Model-A Ford".

Later in the war, thousands of large bomb-laden balloons were launched from Japan to be carried on seasonal winds to the U.S. mainland. Hundreds were found or intercepted in the air in the Western U.S. and Canada and little damage resulted. The government had wished to prevent a panic among the civilian population so kept a lid on news about the balloon bombs. Unfortunately, a group of picnickers near Bly, Oregon found and accidentally detonated one, killing 6 people.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote