Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: Starter "button", 35-36 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Lawson I don't like the batteries under the floor they get negleted. I installed an Optima with a 6 volt starter solenoid on the side of the box. This makes the cables real short and I always use 2/0 welding cables with all clean tight connections. I mounted the starter push button on the bottom edge of the dash and left the foot switch and cables so it could be put back to original if someone wants at a later date. I also replaced the green battery shut off with a new heavy duty one from Bob Shewman [email protected] . The green ones arc and lose voltage across the switch, I had 3 or 4 go bad. These old Fords should all have battery switches which is hard to do under the floor. The battery box is mounted in existing holes. G.M.
An old ammo box?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #22
G.M.

Tinker I made sheet metal for 3 or 4 differant boxes, 4 each while set up to bend them. I didn't weld them all up so I can modify them a little if I want. Here's a couple others. One is for my 39 P/O which has the firewall mounted battery. This box is bent so it slips in the original box and has a little compartment for a few bottles of oil. The other one is in Skips 34 P/U and gives plenty of clearance for the dual exhaust. I also made the hole in the frame oval shaped like the passenger side so the left head pipe would go through the frame. I don't like them hanging below the frame. It's a little tricky bending the pipe around the steering but have my own bender so it wasn't to bad. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OPTIMA 39 P- U.JPG (66.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg OPTIMA BATTERY BOX 34.jpg (57.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #23
Tinker

I like the one with the extra oil bottle compartments.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #24
JM 35 Sedan

Speaking of battery boxes.....there was a guy at the Dawsonville, GA swap meet who was selling sheet metal military cartridge/ammo boxes that just happen to make nice battery boxes. The price was very reasonable and when I got home I found out that a six volt lead acid battery, that I usually carry on trips for emergencies, will fit right in and the lid can be snapped shut with enough room to prevent shorting the terminals. I will insulate the inside top of the lid anyway. I think he also had some that will work well with the 6V red top Optima batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Military Ammo Battery Box 1.jpg (30.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Military Ammo Battery Box 2.jpg (47.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Military Ammo Battery Box 3.jpg (49.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Military Ammo Battery Box 4.jpg (57.6 KB, 8 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #25
Tinker

John I've seen those at swap meets. Will have to pick one up next time. They are good for tools too.

Question, aren't you supposed to vent a closed battery box? Or are the holes for the cables enough?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
Lawson Cox

Talking Re: Starter "button", 35-36 Ford

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
All you have to do is touch a wire from the soleniod starter wire terminal to ground if it's a standard Ford solenoid. If it starts it's the switch if not it's the solenoid. G.M.
George: Checked it out using your method and found it is the starter switch on the floor. I will replace it, but I believe I will take it apart and see what it looks like inside before putting another one on. They are a booger to replace, so I don't want to do it twice.

Thanks to EVERYBODY for their input.

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 11-07-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #27
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
John I've seen those at swap meets. Will have to pick one up next time. They are good for tools too.

Question, aren't you supposed to vent a closed battery box? Or are the holes for the cables enough?
Yes, if that top w/gasket is latched down there would need to be some vent holes. The cable holes could be cut larger than necessary and then a rubber/plastic grommet placed in the hole would help protect the cable from sharp sheet metal edges. Additional small vent holes could also be drilled in other areas. The guy who was selling these works for the company that makes them. If this one works well, I will probably contact him to order more. I would like to get one that will mount a 6V red top Optima.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #28
G.M.

Lawson before removing the switch take a good look at the route of the cables. If I recall they need to come off the switch toward the front or rear I don't rememember which way. They can hit the clutch and brake arms if not placed right. I have taken some of those switches apart and cleaned them. If you know the route you can put the cables on before you put the switch in place. If you are useing it to energize a starter solenoid it will have to be cleaner than energizing the starter because of the light power load.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #29
Lawson Cox

Thanks George. I am going to dig into all that tomorrow. No problem with the large cables, only the low voltage wire for the starter solenoid.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #30
31chevy

I have shown this before, but if you are using an optima you can put it under the seat of a pickup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1011.jpg (42.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1010.jpg (53.9 KB, 12 views)
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote