Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #21
Tim Ayers

Default Re: This just in, Bonneville info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fivewindow View Post
Ron, ran 205.7 this morning, and backed up yesterdays run, for a new record.
Excellent news!
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #22
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fivewindow View Post
Ron, ran 205.7 this morning, and backed up yesterdays run, for a new record.
That’s FAST, and AWESOME!!!..... I never thought to search YouTube. I’ll try that later.....great news!!......Congrats to the team!!!........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:28 PM   #23
5851a

Ron just put a smile on Henry's face. Need to rename the car 999. Congratulations Ron.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #24
V8COOPMAN

I'm not able to make the trip any more, but I just received a phone call from my close friend Richard Rowles that he and owner Richard Thomas of Sandy, Utah just upped their existing record in "XF/BMP" (Blown Fuel Flathead) from 106 mph to 117 mph and some change in "The World's Fastest Farm Truck". It's a 286 inch 8BA-type engine with a 3-53 GMC blower, a fancy center main cap strap, and stock Henry rods. Goes thru the traps right at 5,000 RPMs in 4th gear using a close ratio (3.35 1st gear) T5 trans. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #25
51 MERC-CT

An interesting Bonneville live feed-----

http://lsrlive.com/

Or this------

https://www.facebook.com/GearheadHobbies/live

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 08-08-2021 at 05:19 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #26
51504bat

Pretty dang impressive.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:24 AM   #27
1931 flamingo

CONGRATULATIONS to Ron, Laura and the whole crew ! ! !

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #28
corvette8n

Wow that’s a nice truck, would love to see under the hood and some videos of the run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

I'm not able to make the trip any more, but I just received a phone call from my close friend Richard Rowles that he and owner Richard Thomas of Sandy, Utah just upped their existing record in "XF/BMP" (Blown Fuel Flathead) from 106 mph to 117 mph and some change in "The World's Fastest Farm Truck". It's a 286 inch 8BA-type engine with a 3-53 GMC blower, a fancy center main cap strap, and stock Henry rods. Goes thru the traps right at 5,000 RPMs in 4th gear using a close ratio (3.35 1st gear) T5 trans. DD

corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:14 PM   #29
hotrodcbx

NICE TRUCK!!! With that front air dam Bonneville could hire you to level out any irregularities on the salt surface!!
hotrodcbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:09 PM   #30
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

A little update on the NEW 117+ mph record set by this blown flathead last
Sunday. My friend Richard Rowles called me Tuesday afternoon to let me know that after making the back-up run and securing the new 117+ mph record on Sunday, they found themselves getting a little bored, yet not ready to pack-up and head home with several days of racing still to look forward to. So, they got to poking-around on the truck, looking for anything that may be improved upon to possibly go faster. Lo and behold, they discovered that the four butterflies in the 450 Holley were not quite opening completely. Richard said that after fighting a troublesome Lokar cable, they were able to rectify that problem.

They ended-up back in line on Tuesday to make another attempt on their fresh 117 mph record. Well, they ended-up making a 118+ qualifying run, and ran the truck to Impound to await a back-up run on Wednesday. Wednesday came and they made a 124+ mph run, ending-up with a NEW record of 121+ mph.

I had mistakenly said that they were running a 3-53 GMC blower. They're actually running a 6V53 blower on this 286" flathead. Richard told me that they ran the engine up to 6,000 RPMs in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, and went thru the lights at just under 5,500 RPMs in 4th gear. Every little bit helps! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #31
KiWinUS

Quote:
A little update on the NEW 117+ mph record set by this blown flathead last
Sunday. My friend Richard Rowles called me Tuesday afternoon to let me know that after making the back-up run and securing the new 117+ mph record on Sunday, they found themselves getting a little bored, yet not ready to pack-up and head home with several days of racing still to look forward to. So, they got to poking-around on the truck, looking for anything that may be improved upon to possibly go faster. Lo and behold, they discovered that the four butterflies in the 450 Holley were not quite opening completely. Richard said that after fighting a troublesome Lokar cable, they were able to rectify that problem.

They ended-up back in line on Tuesday to make another attempt on their fresh 117 mph record. Well, they ended-up making a 118+ qualifying run, and ran the truck to Impound to await a back-up run on Wednesday. Wednesday came and they made a 124+ mph run, ending-up with a NEW record of 121+ mph.

I had mistakenly said that they were running a 3-53 GMC blower. They're actually running a 6V53 blower on this 286" flathead. Richard told me that they ran the engine up to 6,000 RPMs in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, and went thru the lights at just under 5,500 RPMs in 4th gear. Every little bit helps! DD

That’s fantastic. Great job. All your hard work rewarded.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:45 AM   #32
Elmo Rodge

I ran 185 in my Tank. I am rather pleased. There's still some left in it. Unblown on gas.
Wayno
Old 08-13-2021, 10:01 AM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo Rodge View Post
I ran 185 in my Tank. I am rather pleased. There's still some left in it. Unblown on gas.
Wayno

Way to go, Wayno! Man, that ain't THAT far away from the elusive "RED HAT" territory, huh? Do you have any current pictures of the tank? If you're unable to post here on the 'Barn, e-mail to me (BELOW) and I'll post 'em for ya! DD

[email protected]

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #34
Elmo Rodge

It'll have to be later. Still recovering from the 5 hour drive home.
Wayno
Old 08-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #35
Lawrie

Wayno , thats bloody great, was KC with you there,
Carol would be happy for you.
Family and I just did a leisurely drive down the valley in the 33,No speed involved ,.
Take it easy Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:13 PM   #36
Elmo Rodge

Lawrie, she sure was. Made the deal that much better. She's flying home Tuesday. By the way, the faster I went the better it felt. I was going to try for next year but now I think I'm going to keep the thrash going and shoot for World Finals end of September.
Wayno
Old 08-13-2021, 07:57 PM   #37
Ronnieroadster

Hi Guys
Were back from our extremely successful Speedweek. Here's the numbers i ran in the gas class for my record attempt's.
Saturday mornings qualifying down run was 204.770 that my friends was the first time a gas burring flathead in a roadster ever hit 200 at Bonneville we made history at 10:53 AM
Sunday mornings return run was 206.717 I now had the record set at 205.744
Next we changed the class to fuel but still running gas. The driver of the car was my brother from another mother Jeff Arnett from the Bean Bandits club out of San Diageo.
Jeffs down run Monday morning was 206.592 Tuesdays return run with wind moving the car around was 205.906 we now had the record set at 206.249. And as an added bonus Jeff now became a life time member of the 200 MPH club. At this point we put 12 miles on the flathead running to mile three on each run. And at this point we had achieved everything we could hope for.
BUT WE WERE NOT FINISHED YET.
Planning was now under way for what we wanted to do next year so we decided to change to a taller gear and change the jetting in the carburetor which still had gas in it. My son now became the test pilot on the run. The results were at mile three speed was over 210 MPH and at mile four it was 219.787 MPH.
This my friends was the fastest run ever by a flathead Ford powered roadster. My flathead race engines still retain the three exhaust ports some say this will not work but it looks like it woks just fine. 15 miles latter during tear down for the engine measuring to certify our records everything looked great in the engine.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:15 PM   #38
cas3

congrats Ron ! wonderful news
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:43 PM   #39
Bored&Stroked

That is some awesome new Ronnie . . . congrats to you, your family and any other flathead nut that was helping you! I'll give you a call next week to catch up. Fantastic achievements my friend!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #40
1931 flamingo

CONGRATULATIONS Ronnie! ! ! !
Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote