Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2022, 01:18 AM   #1
Indyearl

Default Electric power stering

WELL I'm knee deep in updating my 55 Ford Customeline, 272 automatic low mileage (62343) original California Car. Has Custom interior, pleated in two colors white and teal. Was painted in the mid 90's but has some chips and scrapes in the paint only due to being stored for the last 20 something years. Starts and runs real smooth but needs rubbers replaces in front and rear. I'm planning on updating the brakes with disk this winter and bring up to par all the original front end parts, probably going to keep the rear stock brakes as they seem to work fine, as they were just gone through and rebuilt. The wiring was original and tented to lose installation every time I just touched it or moved some wires so I replaced the entire wiring with a kit from EZ Wiring to go from 6 volt positive to 12 volt negative ground. its been a interesting challenge and I'm almost done with that just waiting on my fuel gauge and sending unit to come back from Wolf & Company for upgrade and repair.
After all that has anyone installed one of the electric power assist steering units from one of the companies or done an install from a junk yard unit? I'm looking at that real hard as a great upgrade for my wife to be able to drive the car.
Indyearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:26 AM   #2
evintho

Default Re: Electric power stering

https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/e...bZk5G5JINy9n1I
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
5851a

No experience with, but Borgeson makes a power box to replace your existing manual box.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #4
dmsfrr

If I'm not mistaken, the Borgeson box isn't compatible with the original Horn wire inside the steering column, if that's a concern.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:20 AM   #5
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyearl View Post
WELL I'm knee deep in updating my 55 Ford Customeline, 272 automatic low mileage (62343) original California Car. Has Custom interior, pleated in two colors white and teal. Was painted in the mid 90's but has some chips and scrapes in the paint only due to being stored for the last 20 something years. Starts and runs real smooth but needs rubbers replaces in front and rear. I'm planning on updating the brakes with disk this winter and bring up to par all the original front end parts, probably going to keep the rear stock brakes as they seem to work fine, as they were just gone through and rebuilt. The wiring was original and tented to lose installation every time I just touched it or moved some wires so I replaced the entire wiring with a kit from EZ Wiring to go from 6 volt positive to 12 volt negative ground. its been a interesting challenge and I'm almost done with that just waiting on my fuel gauge and sending unit to come back from Wolf & Company for upgrade and repair.
After all that has anyone installed one of the electric power assist steering units from one of the companies or done an install from a junk yard unit? I'm looking at that real hard as a great upgrade for my wife to be able to drive the car.
You should save and read this it was originally written for a 1955 Ford. https://darksidersrealm.forumotion.c...egative-ground Read step # 13 you'll need that. The universal wiring kits use older Chevy wiring codes so you have to re-wire the headlight switch differently when you use them on a 50's Ford. You can see that here on Post # 525 https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...#post-12641103
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:09 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Electric power stering

Please do not sh!t can the take-off as somebody will be looking for it.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
5851a

Possibly look for an original system? Most people seem to have a dislike for the original systems. I personally liked the older systems and spent many 100k miles behind the wheel of them. Ford used the system up through 1979 on various models. Might take some extra work to make sure everything is rebuilt to spec. One consideration is if you are going electric column, you are still cranking on your original steering system. Just my thoughts.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:23 PM   #8
Angledrive

I have used epowersteering.com. He is very reasonable and very knowledgable. Last one I did was a 1937 Ford.
Angledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:36 PM   #9
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angledrive View Post
I have used epowersteering.com. He is very reasonable and very knowledgable. Last one I did was a 1937 Ford.
which kit did you use for the '37 Ford?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:09 AM   #10
Indyearl

thank you for all the great ideas. Think I'll just keep the original steering as it is not all that bad and once upgraded, new rubbers and such, it will, at least for now be ok..
Old 11-28-2022, 01:14 AM   #11
Indyearl

in using the EZ wire kit I did use a chevy headlight switch, saved a lot of wiring headackes.
I do have one little issue my temp gauge needle goes to H when i turn off the car. When it warms up it seems to indecate the correct engine temp. Any ideas??
Old 11-28-2022, 01:19 AM   #12
Indyearl

Oh and by the way the gauges came back from Wolf &Company, Great turn around and they work perfectly.