Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2023, 09:14 AM   #1
Yankeefn65

Question 1929 Emergency Break Pawl

I had an issue this weekend when I pulled my emergency break. It seems as if the pawl overrode the teeth and came out. I have the grip handle break. a few years ago, the pawl broke, and I had gotten a new one and fought for days with it and suddenly it just popped in. Now a few years later it just seemed to disconnect. I got the break to release but now I can't set it the pawl seems to have fallen out of the teeth. just can't set it right. I have looked on all books and videos about no one seems to show just how to set this up.
help..
No Emergency in Chesapeake
Yankeefn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:18 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1929 Emergency Break Pawl

Ford made no less than five different E-brake lever assemblies. It helps to know which one you have. Early model A with the equalizer brake system had the lever mounted to the frame on the left side by the cowl. It had a squeeze grip release mechanism. The second type was mounted on the front of the transmission tower and it also had the squeeze grip. The third type was mounted same as second type but had the push button release mechanism. The fourth type was moved to the right side of the transmission shift tower. This one has a V-shaped mount with the apex of the V pointing down. It was used from early 1929 till later in that year. In late 1929 the fifth and final iteration was introduced and it was produced through the end of model A production. It may have also been used in model B production in 1932. This type is a lot like the fourth type but the V-shaped mount has the apex of the V pointing up and it has finer teeth on the ratchet release mechanism. This also affected the pawl shape.

The pawl that is needed for any one of these types depends on which type it is. They are all different.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-14-2023 at 04:41 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 11:25 AM   #3
Oldgearz

I don't have the squeeze type brake. I have the third one mentioned above with the button mounted on the right side of the tranny. When I replaced the pawl, it was a PITA, and I had to have my wife hold things in place from above while I started bolts from below. But all works well now. I think you have to disassemble the whole thing and see what's what. The aftermarket parts maybe don't fit so good and may need a little home-style remanufacturing. Good luck with it...you'll be able to fix things once you see what's going on.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:48 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Yours seems to be the fourth type. I have one in my 29 Sport Coupe. It has the large teeth on the sector. The pawl matches the tooth size of the sector. It's not quite the same as the fifth type that is currently reproduced as a replacement for the fourth type that is not reproduced. I'll see if I can find a pawl but I don't know if it's reproduced.

I found a replacement pawl at Snyder's that is listed as A-2786-B. This is for the large sector that is side mounted push button release type. Type three is the push button lever mounted on the front of the shift tower so it's completely different.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-14-2023 at 04:59 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote