Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default Installing 95% oil filter system issue

Correcting error, it is a Bypass system I’m installing, finally after getting motivated & feeling pretty good after really long recovery from neck surgery, 8 months & counting. So thought an easy ease in project would be the Oil Filter system while the engine is still on the lift from before surgery project. As we know assume makes an ass out of u & me but I did anyway So turns out the pipe thread on the purchased fitted 8BA tube on the return side going to the block is a larger thread than the female thread that’s in the block? I think the one in the return hole on block is 1/8” pipe & the male on the tube is a 1/4” pipe. (Could be calling sizes out wrong) The opposite side of the tube having same thread does fit the filter. The feed tube with same threads as the return tube fits the filter & the feed threaded hole on rear of engine where the oil pressure gauge would go as well as thread just below at 90 degrees. Anybody run into this? I’m thinking an adapter on the return hole in the block to step thread up to fit fitting on return tube??? Help:confused :confused

Last edited by AnthonyG; 03-07-2021 at 08:13 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Installing 95% oil filter system issue

That is why they make adaptors.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
AnthonyG

Quote:
That is why they make adaptors
Thx J Franklin, did u install a 95% filter & and find same issue? If so great I will do same if not it’s not that simple. One thing inevitably effects another! An adapter will work for the thread fit issue. But I’m afraid it will present an issue with interference w the exhaust because the adapter will change the designed fit for the return tube, not much clearance! Looking for experience from some one who’s been there & had same issue & what they did?
Old 03-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Finally getting motivated & feeling pretty good after really long recovery from neck surgery, 8 months & counting. So thought an easy ease in project would be the Oil Filter system while the engine is still on the lift from before surgery project. As we know assume makes an ass out of u & me but I did anyway So turns out the pipe thread on the purchased fitted 8BA tube on the return side going to the block is a larger thread than the female thread that’s in the block? I think the one in the return hole on block is 1/8” pipe & the male on the tube is a 1/4” pipe. (Could be calling sizes out wrong) The opposite side of the tube having same thread does fit the filter. The feed tube with same threads as the return tube fits the filter & the feed threaded hole on rear of engine where the oil pressure gauge would go as well as thread just below at 90 degrees. Anybody run into this? I’m thinking an adapter on the return hole in the block to step thread up to fit fitting on return tube??? Help:confused :confused
Which return hole are you referring to on the block?
There is an oil return hole on the lower side of the block near the pan rail that is 1/8 pipe but that is dedicated to the original bypass filter system. It has to be plugged when installing a 95% system.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
Desoto291Hemi

Has your block been modified for the 95% filter system ?
The return line on my 8BA returns at the bottom of the block near the pan rail .
The 95% filter deal is a whole other animal,,,,,from the factory filter system

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
AnthonyG

Ok, a 1st for me. My plan which sounds like it’s not the 95% syst. Was to come out of the original oil pressure gauge hole or the one just below @ 90 degrees to the top fitting on the filter. Then the bottom of the filter to the return hole I’m having the thread issue with? The pre fit lines w fitting I bought match that config except for that thread near the bottom rear of block just above oil pan?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FA06C497-6942-41C3-8E92-97E0B68E0CEF.jpeg (48.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 03-07-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
Desoto291Hemi

Okay,,,,I’m assuming you are installing an original type oil filter ?
These filter cans cannot handle the volume of a 95 % type system .
The 95% uses a regular late model oil filter,,,,and the block passages have to be modified to make it work .
There are a lot of really talented people on here that can help you,,,,,a lot smarter than I am .
Maybe they will see this an chime in to help you,,,,good luck with the install .

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
J Franklin

My Father invented an oil filter based on natural principals that kept the oil microscopically clean, used with a bypass filter in a 1948 Chevy in the late '50s - mid '60s. And a previous Ford flathead, with no oil changes. Your engine will filter with a bypass unit. You can check your oil under a microscope to ease your mind.

Last edited by J Franklin; 03-07-2021 at 04:44 PM.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #9
cas3

the original ports on the back of the block were 1/4" pipe, but most 95% systems drill them to 3/8 pipe so you have room to get a tap in there for the grub screw threads
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #10
69a

It sounds like you are describing the bypass system. You must fit a restrictor before the filter. preferably close to the block. It has a aprox 1/16" hole in it. If you don't fit this you run the risk of starving the engine of oil or bursting the filter!
69a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:24 PM   #11
AnthonyG

Yes I was originally mistaken, it’s not a 95% system it is the Bypass System. So much time went by & probably so many drugs from neck surgery & recovery fried some brain cells ! Having said that I know about the restrictor & that’s not the the prob. With the by pass system I still need to use the available pipe thread hole toward the rear near the bottom of the block just above the oil pan & that threaded hole is too small for the purchased fitted return tub for the bypass system. Question is has anyone had this issue & solved using a 1/4 “ to 1/8” pipe thread adapter. If yes did it create other interference fit issues ie, with the exhaust manifolds or headers?
Old 03-07-2021, 06:30 PM   #12
Bored&Stroked

You're trying to setup a stock bypass filter system - which uses the old Fram style filter that is typically mounted on the head. This is NOT a 95% oil filtration system (which takes specific block modifications). Also, as far as my math goes, is really a 66% oil filtration system - as 1 out of 3 of the mains does NOT receive filtered oil. Folks claiming 95% are using creative math to make themselves feel good. LOL

On a bypass type system, you must have a restrictor on the inlet side of the filter (usually it is a brass fitting on side of the filter - with about a .060 to .080 orifice in it). The outlet from the filter goes to the pan. If you don't put the restrictor in, then you greatly reduce oil pressure (and volume) as you are dumping a lot of oil to the pan - and not to the oil galleys.

You just need to obtain the right fitting adapter to go from the block to whatever line you're using. If the line has compression style fittings, then you'll need an NPT to compression style adapter.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #13
cas3

usually, those lines are 1/4" steel with a flared fitting on the end just like a brake line, then you need the female 1/4 flare x male 1/4 pipe from any auto store (for the block end)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:06 PM   #14
69a

The thread by the pan rail is 1/8"NPT.
You can put any configuration of fittings and adapters and hoses. It is relatively low pressure.
69a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:17 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

There is no reason to use larger size lines or fittings on a bypass filter, the .060 restrictor will not allow that much flow. A 1/4 line should be fine. If what you are using for a filter has larger lines something is not right! Sounds like there may be some mix up with the parts being used. Anyway you can post a photo of the filter and fittings you are using?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #16
51 MERC-CT

This is the (hardware store ) 1/8 pipe adapter that is used to adapt the 1/4" return tube.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:44 PM   #17
AnthonyG

Thx 51 Merc-Ct, that is what I’m gonna use, looks like you did use with no interference issues because it pushes the return tube further away from the block & I was thinking it might interfere with my headers?
Old 03-07-2021, 09:11 PM   #18
AnthonyG

JSeery, reducer orphice installed on filter input side. Pics show fittings & tubes good. 51 MERC-Ct showed the adapter I needed on the return tube to block fitting. As I asked him if he had any interference issues using?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EE72C89A-D552-4DE7-B058-A4B96FC99F68.jpeg (34.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpeg C0851CEB-30AE-4DDE-98F8-F0D7E7BDA539.jpeg (36.2 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by AnthonyG; 03-07-2021 at 09:18 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:51 PM   #19
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Thx 51 Merc-Ct, that is what I’m gonna use, looks like you did use with no interference issues because it pushes the return tube further away from the block & I was thinking it might interfere with my headers?
The 1/4" tubing can be bent and formed to whatever configuration that will eliminate any clearance issues.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:09 PM   #20
AnthonyG

Thx 51 MERC-Ct & all for helpful discussion.