Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2020, 11:41 PM   #1
RalphG

Default New Pinion Seal

I've had the new pinion seal for the 52 Merc for several years now but been putting off the job of installation. The leak finally got so bad I had to do something.. Its not as much fun as it used to be, laying on concrete under the car. But the job went pretty well and after a short test drive it appears to have been a success.
Got the new seal from C&G Ford.
https://youtu.be/egAt6R_qyi8
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: New Pinion Seal

Way to go Ralph . . . and I hear yah on the Concrete situation. It was after laying on the cold concrete doing some TIG welding on a race car frame . . . telling my "helper" to step on the pedal with "Hit It!", that I decided I better knuckle down and buy a lift.

I bought a high-quality Bend-Pac 2 post lift -- one of the best decisions I've made (for multiple reasons). What I found is that instead of putting jobs off that required laying on the floor and/or rolling around on a "creeper", I actually didn't mind getting into them a whole lot sooner.

Also, no matter how well you use high-quality jack-stands, I feel a whole lot safer with a lift (for multiple reasons as well).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:45 AM   #3
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post

Also, no matter how well you use high-quality jack-stands, I feel a whole lot safer with a lift (for multiple reasons as well).
I've seen a few videos of those lifts in use and they do look like an improvement for sure. I have a good roller/creeper but I'd have to jack the car up even higher to get clearance for the additional height the creeper needs. The best option right now would have been to drive the 8 miles to my brother's shop where he has a "grease pit" as we use to call them. You can do most maintenance needed under the car while standing in the pit. I should have done that but the car is not licensed yet for the summer.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
flatford8

I bought a two-post lift about five yrs ago. Best equipment I’ve ever bought. Built my first garage about 20 yrs ago. For 25 yrs before that....I was outside or on the ground fixing whatever needed attention. I think I earned owning the lift.
Ralph, what did you do to maintain the pinion adjustment? Mark the location of the fasteners? I’ve read in my Ford manual that it can be done that way.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Ralph, what did you do to maintain the pinion adjustment? Mark the location of the fasteners? I’ve read in my Ford manual that it can be done that way.......Mark
Pinion adjustment?
Old 05-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Pinion adjustment?
The pinion adjustment appears to be controlled by a shim between the pinion gear and the inner pinion bearing, so I suspect what you did did not alter that.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
3twinridges

I have read that some leaks are a result of gear oil leaking through the pinion splines through the companion flange, to use anaerobic sealer there, is that standard practice in these old rear ends?

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3twinridges View Post
I have read that some leaks are a result of gear oil leaking through the pinion splines through the companion flange, to use anaerobic sealer there, is that standard practice in these old rear ends?

JB
I don't know but suspect this seal had been damaged by running too long with the pinion nut loose. When I first got the car running five years ago I noticed this strange howl or whine from the drive train on deceleration. After a bit of inspection I found the nut loose on the pinion allowing a bit of movement. After I tightened that nut it eliminated the noise but the oil leak was still there and gradually got worse. That was why I got the new seal and finally got it installed now.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:32 PM   #9
3twinridges

Got it Ralph, allows enjoy reading your threads.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote